No teeth but biting!

Old January 8th 04, 10:33 PM
Irish Marie

Default No teeth but biting!

Liam doesn't have any teeth yet but lately he is biting down with his gums
and twisting as he comes off the breast. OWW!! He thinks this is fun because
he grins at me when I wince in pain. What do I do, he's only 5 months so I
don't think telling him no, or removing him will get the message across.
Also while I'm asking questions here is another and it's an odd one. I am
now only bf Liam during the night, early morning, sometimes the evening and
sometimes during the day when i have a day off, but nothing is regular and
he is being ff more often than not lately. I am starting to feel
uncomfortable feeding him lately, almost as though it is not natural,
sometimes it turns my stomach (guess who won't be winning mother of the year
award here!). In my head I love bf him, and I love the bond but physically
it is turning me off?! It's an odd sensation. I am putting it down to the
fact that my supply is obviously dropping and maybe there is such little
milk being produced that my body is telling me it is time to give up?
A couple of nights lately, if he wakes during the night or not long after I
have put him down to sleep, I don't automatically pick him up and nurse
anymore, I offer him his soother and he happily takes it and goes back
asleep. I think I feel redundant.
maybe I should just give up.......I'm confused

--
Marie
Mum of 3

Old January 8th 04, 11:41 PM
Circe

Irish Marie wrote:
Liam doesn't have any teeth yet but lately he is biting down with his
gums and twisting as he comes off the breast. OWW!! He thinks this is
fun because he grins at me when I wince in pain. What do I do, he's
only 5 months so I don't think telling him no, or removing him will
get the message across.

Oh, believe me, he'll get the message all right. If he bites you and you
remove him from the breast and put him down and refuse to nurse him for
several minutes, he'll figure out pretty quickly that he doesn't want to do
that any more! Yes, it'll take some time, but babies aren't stupid; they
know which side their bread is buttered on g!

I'm afraid I can't really help you with the other stuff, though, as I've
never had a similar experience.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [22 mos.] mom)

"Taxi's R Us" -- name of a cab company

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old January 8th 04, 11:45 PM
Irish Marie

"Circe" wrote in message
Irish Marie wrote:
Liam doesn't have any teeth yet but lately he is biting down with his
gums and twisting as he comes off the breast. OWW!! He thinks this is
fun because he grins at me when I wince in pain. What do I do, he's
only 5 months so I don't think telling him no, or removing him will
get the message across.

Oh, believe me, he'll get the message all right. If he bites you and you
remove him from the breast and put him down and refuse to nurse him for
several minutes, he'll figure out pretty quickly that he doesn't want to

do
that any more! Yes, it'll take some time, but babies aren't stupid; they
know which side their bread is buttered on g!

That's true!! lol! Thanks Circe.

I'm afraid I can't really help you with the other stuff, though, as I've
never had a similar experience.
--

I feel like a freak! I've heard of women giving up in the early weeks
because bf makes them uncomfortable, but I've never heard of liking it and

Old January 9th 04, 12:02 AM
Circe

Irish Marie wrote:
I'm afraid I can't really help you with the other stuff, though, as
I've never had a similar experience.

I feel like a freak! I've heard of women giving up in the early weeks
because bf makes them uncomfortable, but I've never heard of liking
it and then disliking the sensation.

Well, I didn't like it much when I was pregnant. Are you sure you aren't
g?

Old January 9th 04, 01:13 AM
Sue

"Circe" wrote in message

Well, I didn't like it much when I was pregnant. Are you sure you aren't
g?

Or your period is coming back?

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 9th 04, 08:02 PM
Larry McMahan

Irish Marie writes:
: Liam doesn't have any teeth yet but lately he is biting down with his gums
: and twisting as he comes off the breast. OWW!! He thinks this is fun because
: he grins at me when I wince in pain. What do I do, he's only 5 months so I
: don't think telling him no, or removing him will get the message across.

You actually have several options. Circe's advice was good, but you have to
let him wrench off before you do this. If you want to catch him before he
gets a death grip on you nipple, try the following...

What you describe usually happens at the end of a feed. Before he can do
this he has to slip down from the normal nursing position to one where he
has only the nipple in his mouth. This is the time to catch and stop him.
When he starts to slip down, press his face into your breast. This will
make him open his mouth to breathe. When he opens his mouth, take your
nipple out and relatch properly. If he slips down again or refuses to
relatch correctly, end the nursing session. This way you don't get bitten,
and after a fairly short time he will learn to stop the behavior.

[...]
: --

5 months is pretty early to stop nursing. There are several disadvantages
to stopping this early. First, you protection against breast cancer is only
about half a good as if your were to nurse well past a year.

Secondly, if he is only 5 months, he has probably either not started solids,
or just recently. Babies should continue to nurse for at least 4 - 6 months
after starting solids. A study of celiac disease showed that babies who
nursed for 4 months after starting to to eat foods containing gluten were
much less likely to get celiac disease than babies who stopped nursing before
starting to eat foods containing gluten.

There are several other diseases for which longer nursing decreases the rate
of incidence. Such as ear infections, diabetes, obesity, etc.

I can't really give you any advice regarding your physical discomfort. I
know that there were times when Monika felt "touched out" when she was
tandem nursign and both were demanding, but in those cases, a part of a day
off, or sometimes just a couple hourse away from the kids was enough for
her to regain her balance.

: Marie
: Mum of 3
: DD born 03/98, DS1 born 11/99, DS2 born 08/03

Good luck with your decisions,
Larry

Old January 9th 04, 09:59 PM
Irish Marie

"Circe" wrote in message

Well, I didn't like it much when I was pregnant. Are you sure you aren't
g?

Definitely not!

Or your period is coming back?

I got it back on Tuesday and it only dawned on me a few mins after posting
this that I think the two are linked.

Old January 9th 04, 10:02 PM
Irish Marie

"Larry McMahan" wrote in message
Irish Marie writes:
[...]

Thanks Larry........he normally 'bites' when I'm feeding him whilst dozing
in bed, so it's as much a matter of staying awake as watching when he slips
down the breast.

[...]

Well I am combi-feeding, so does that mean my protection is only quarter as
good?!

Good luck with your decisions,
Larry

Thank you very much Larry, lots of food for thought here.

Old January 9th 04, 10:26 PM
Larry McMahan

Irish Marie writes:

:
: 5 months is pretty early to stop nursing. There are several disadvantages
: to stopping this early. First, you protection against breast cancer is
: only
: about half a good as if your were to nurse well past a year.
:
: Well I am combi-feeding, so does that mean my protection is only quarter as
: good?!

Actually, for that particular questions it depends on how much milk is
removed in total over a longer period of time. Let's say you are combi-
feeding, but your baby is getting as much milk as if you were exclusively
nursing. In that case you protection would be just a good. Or lets say
that you combi-feeding and your baby is getting a third less milk, but
that you keep at it a third longer so that the same total amount of milk
is removed. Agan, your protection would be just a good.

To maximize the protection to your against breast cancer there are two
things you can do
1. In the short term, maximize your supply so that you produce as
much milk as possible.
2. In the long term nurse for as long as possible.

This has not been shown by any studies, but I also think that when weaning
it is also better to wean slowly so that you never really leak or are
engorged after terminating breastfeeding. We need a study on this. :-)

Hope this helps,
Larry

Old January 9th 04, 10:46 PM
Andrea

"Irish Marie" wrote in message
[...]

Kam did this from 4 months, then his teeth came! He got 2 more since then
and only bites me when he is teething.

I wet the corner of a washcloth, put it in my freezer, then give it him to
chew on.

Good luck!

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 7 months still nursing strong
with 4 teeth!

A question about teeth and a 5 yr old Sophie General 22 March 22nd 04 04:29 PM
top teeth Cary Hayes Breastfeeding 2 December 3rd 03 06:52 PM
Teeth! Ouchie! Andrea Breastfeeding 7 November 22nd 03 03:59 PM
Night nursing and teeth question revisited AmyAmy4734 Breastfeeding 6 October 28th 03 04:10 PM
Teeth question Jodie Breastfeeding 3 October 23rd 03 06:35 PM