Fed up with recurrent plugged ducts.

Old July 27th 03, 01:58 AM
Cathy

Default Fed up with recurrent plugged ducts.

Hi all, I thought I had 'recovered' from a plugged duct 10 days ago, but
now I find I have it again - same place, same breast. After the last one, I
had a really sore nipple. An LC said nipple infection, so I am now on
antibiotics. But the nipple pain didn't get better after 4 days, so I
started thrush treatment. This seems to be working - the nipple is less
sore. DD (6 months) has a bad latch, which I have been working on, and I
thought we had it sorted. She is not an efficient feeder, taking 1/2 to 3/4
of an hour sometimes on one breast. I have tried pumping and massage to try
and clear this lastest blockage, but I know from previous experience that
only DD can do it.

So my questions (I got there in the end!), has anyone had experience with
reccurrent plugged ducts/mastitis, and if so, have you found anything to be
effective. The various resources at kellymom.com said lecithin and vitamin
C had been found to be useful. I don't really want to rush out and get
supplements, but I might have to, as this whole thing is really starting to
frustrate me. And I sure as heck don't want to rush out and buy formula,
but I am beginning to see why people give up breast feeding.

Thanks for any advice,
Cathy

Old July 27th 03, 09:25 AM
Cathy

Chotii wrote in message

"Cathy" wrote in message

So my questions (I got there in the end!), has anyone had experience

with
reccurrent plugged ducts/mastitis, and if so, have you found anything to

be
effective. The various resources at kellymom.com said lecithin and

vitamin
C had been found to be useful. I don't really want to rush out and get
supplements, but I might have to, as this whole thing is really starting

frustrate me. And I sure as heck don't want to rush out and buy

formula,
but I am beginning to see why people give up breast feeding.

You might find useful information at
http://www.oz.net/~chotii/pluggedducts.html - it's my page. I used to have
them ALL the time. I finally wound up taking lecithin capsules per
directions on the bottle and it seemed to help. More important, though,

IMO
is to make sure you always nurse your baby on the affected side first, in
the most helpful position for where your plug occurs (lower lip/chin

toward
the plugged area) for several days after any incident of a clog, to keep

it
from recurring and to keep the milk flowing while tissue inflammation
subsides. If you can apply moist heat beforehand, so much the better.

--angela

Thanks for that Angela. I had wondered about the positioning - I have been
trying to get DDs chin to the tender spot, but that doesn't seem to be
working. If she doesn't clear it this feed (too late at night to try
something new), I'll try tomorrow side lying with her feet by my head! Also
nice (well, you know what I mean) to see that the blockage can clear after
several days. It has been about 24 hours now, and I was wondering when to
seek further help. At the moment DD is keeping it in check, but still not
clearing it fully. I have been nursing her on that side first since this
morning (about 5 feeds). I think I will definitely start taking lecitihin -
it can't do any harm. This is my 6th episode in as many months, hence the
frustration.

Thanks heaps,
Cathy

Old July 30th 03, 04:50 AM
Cathy

Lisa Besko wrote in message
Cathy,

Have your DH give it a try. Any time I had a plugged duct and my DS
couldn't clear it I had my spouse give it a try. My breastpump didn't
have enough sucktion to clear it.

I'm assuming you are doing the warm compresses and have been drinking
enough water.

I had several blocked ducts and one episode of mastitus. Not a fun time.

LB

We tried this. I think poor DH was a bit freaked out to be useful! DD
cleared it in the end, but it wasn't pleasant. I have upped my water
intake, and am taking lecithin now to try and prevent any recurrences.

Cathy