quick meal ideas

Old September 14th 07, 01:02 PM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

Default quick meal ideas

In article ,
Anne Rogers wrote:

You haven't actually defined "fast". How many minutes?

this seems to be a problem, to me, a meal with instructions that start
"cook pasta" is not fast in my book, I'm looking for 10 minutes!

In that case, from my original list, you would be looking at:

* Beef or chicken stir-fry with noodles, using pre-cut meat and vegetables,
and hokkien noodles, which you cook in the wok with the rest.

* Reheated something :-)

* Fried or oven-baked fish with couscous and nuked vegies

* Egg dishes

* Cold meat and salad

Further options:

* Sandwiches or toasties.

* Tinned soup.

The problem with most of these options is the lack of vegetables. A few
slices of tomato on a sanger at night will not give you your five serves a
day, and if you are anything like me, getting more than a serve or two at
lunchtime is near impossible. For that reason, I suggest you concentrate on
the stir-fry, fish, and cold-meat-and-salad options, and on using up
nutritious leftovers.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old September 14th 07, 01:10 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
Anne Rogers wrote:

[...]

I know this is thread drift. But I wanted to comment on getting veggies
during between meal snacks. It works well for me since if I need a snack I
feel guitless in having cucumber slices or carrot sticks. There are often
leftover veggies that I can just warm up a bit. Another thing I do is take
the little bits of veggies that re leftover here and there and put them in a
pot with chicken stock and simmer them up. And whatever flavoring I feel
like (curry being most common) then blend it and drink it in a mug.

Old September 14th 07, 07:17 PM posted to misc.kids
Renee

You can get some frozen cooked shrimp and use that in a stir fry.
Take the shrimp and run it under a faucet to thaw. While you're doing
this, stir fry some vegetables and seasoning. (This only takes about 5
minutes.) When the shrimp is thawed, throw that in the skillet and
stir fry for a few more minutes. Serve with rice (which can be rice
already made and warmed up or minute rice.)

You may need to watch out for the shrimp tails. If you don't want that
in the stir fry, you'll have to remove the tails - which can take a
few minutes. But, you could have the entire meal done in about 15
minutes.

Renee

Old September 14th 07, 10:17 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

On Sep 14, 5:01 am, Banty wrote:
Oh noooooooooo, Albertsons is NOT Wegmans!!! Wegmans is an upstate NY
store, which has found its way to parts of PA and NJ, I believe... but
it's not out west, unfortunately. Albertsons, IMHO, sucks. Whole
Foods is a better bet for prepared food if you have one near you.

Em (who grew up in Rochester, NY, the birthplace of Wegmans

...and The Great Yellow Father!

Banty (former employee)

haha in my case, the Great Yellow Grandfather. Oh wait, I did spend
one summer painting walls in the black and white division. For some
odd reason, I was surrounded by profoundly uninspired employees.

Em

Old September 15th 07, 02:46 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Oh noooooooooo, Albertsons is NOT Wegmans!!! Wegmans is an upstate NY
store, which has found its way to parts of PA and NJ, I believe... but
it's not out west, unfortunately. Albertsons, IMHO, sucks. Whole
Foods is a better bet for prepared food if you have one near you.

Being a Brit, I'm not familiar with the names and relations between
stores, I'm sure someone did connect them earlier in the thread, but I
can't find it now. I don't particularly like Albertsons either. We have
QFC in walking distance, which is expensive, but then sometimes it's
easier to go there than get the car out and trek somewhere else. I've
never actually been into Wholefoods, but there is one about 3mile away
on an easy route and I drive past it all the time, it's on the same
street as the hospital and all the doctor's offices.

Cheers
Anne
Old September 15th 07, 02:17 PM posted to misc.kids
Rose Garten

Default 30 Day gourmet was: quick meal ideas

You might look into this site for some recipe ideas to make ahead.

http://www.30daygourmet.com/

the site itself if free and has a lot of recipes on it. If you purchase
the cookbook then you get access to the member recipes. One of the
things I like about the format of the the recipes is that it lists them
in different amounts. It may range from like 4 servings to 16 servings
and lists the amounts for each amount. Once a month cooking is another
book and there is at least one yahoo group that I subscribe to but the
name won't come to me. I also make large batches of things that we eat
on a regular basis and freeze some of it.

Old September 15th 07, 08:57 PM posted to misc.kids
Laura Faussone

Rose Garten wrote:
You might look into this site for some recipe ideas to make ahead.

http://www.30daygourmet.com/

I like that site, I've gotten some good recipes there. Be sure to look
through the forums, too.

If once-a-month style cooking is too much, you can double recipes as you
make them, freezing one to cook at another time...

quick help Stephanie General 2 March 2nd 06 07:29 PM
Baby poops after almost every meal New Mommy General 8 October 26th 05 11:54 AM
Baby poops after every meal Mommy Mommy Pregnancy 7 October 23rd 05 03:17 PM
Its gone so quick April & Bump Pregnancy 25 September 12th 05 05:53 AM
Quick Into Cherie General 3 June 7th 04 01:15 AM