"Gentle Birth Method"

Old November 24th 08, 06:42 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Default "Gentle Birth Method"

Some how, I've managed not to have ever heard of this. It's a method by
a British Obstetrician, originally within the NHS (it's how water
birth got started in the UK) and later at a small private hospital in
North London. It's also the method followed by celebrities such as Kate
Moss, Elle Macpherson and Gwyneth Paltrow.

I had a bit of a book buying spree in Half Price Books and this was one
of the ones I picked up.

It gets to the tough stuff pretty quickly, diving right into how our
western diet and life style grows our babies too big and doesn't leave
our tissues in a good state for doing the job they need to do in labour.
I think this is a much bigger issue than she makes of it, it's more of
a chicken and egg question did labours get more medicalised because of
this or did labours become like this because they were more medicalised?
What you believe about that will strongly influence what you do about
it and I'd probably be on the other side of the fence to her but not
strongly, if you stick a woman flat on her back, don't let her drink and
possibly give her drugs known to encourage fluid retention, of course
she's going to have an odetemous cervix and vagina, quite possibly
regardless of what she ate in pregnancy.

Her main diet things are stopping wheat, refined carbohydrates and also
red meats (and processed meats). Interestingly as I read through the
reasons for stopping the wheat there was a lot that rang true with me,
but I still have a hard time with the concept of cutting things out from
my diet, I'm an everything in moderation kind of girl. In describing
some of the tiredness and fatigue I've been feeling, I was saying to my
husband that I didn't think my body was processing the food I ate as
well as it could, there has been something different to my previous
experience of fatigue this time around, a kind of limp feeling in the
legs that screams give me fuel, give me something to burn. I think the
picture looks rather like that of a few friends who gave up wheat with
great sucess, I just wasn't realising. I have a harder time with the red
meat, I'm not clear where the iron is going to come from if you cut that
out, I probably need to study it again.

I'm totally torn, there are a fair few indications for giving up wheat
and it's not something I think I'd find very difficult as it's not a
core part of my diet anyway and I'm happy tastewise with many other
fibre/carbohydrate sources, it just totally doesn't fit with my world
view, which needs much clearer reasons to do something like this.

Another issue I have, which is really in the mind and not true at all,
is that having had a low birth weight baby, I have a hard time
conciously restricting food intake, even though really I know that it's
caused by a placental problem and food intake can't really change that
if the links are just not functioning properly. My normal weight baby
was actually fairly chunky, 8lb8oz, which I know isn't enormous, but the
way she looked wasn't quite right, she did look too big for her
skeleton, rather than just a long baby with a big head, she was roughly
average for both when the weight was above 75th centile. But I'm not
convinced her weight was a problem, I don't think her shape could have
caused her to be OP and being OP was definitely more of a problem than
her size.

Anybody here follow a wheat free diet? What made you decide to do that?
How quickly did you notice any effects?

Cheers
Anne