One Milestone Down (long)

Old July 14th 03, 06:02 AM
Laurie

Default One Milestone Down (long)

Phoebe & Allyson wrote in message ...
Well, the Caterpillar and I have made it to 6 weeks. We're
pleased to report the following accomplishments:

Those are really great, Phoebe! Sounds like many milestones, not just one.
Congrats!

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 27 months
and Christopher, 12 weeks

*This email address is now valid*

- My milk has not mysteriously dried up. In fact, there
seems to be more of it than ever.

- Caterpillar has not expressed an insatiable desire for
rice cereal. She has expressed an insatiable desire for
mamma milk, though.

- Having started out only able to nurse topless, I've
graduated to a T-shirt and sports bra. Heck, 5 weeks ago, I
couldn't stand to walk around except for topless, and now I
can wear whatever I want.

- I've weaned myself off of Lansinoh, although the little
greasy stains will probably be with me forever.

- My nipples appear to have reached an undamaged state, with
the exception of some minor soreness on one side, which
we're diligently working on. I don't think they'll ever
return to their original condition, but the same is true of
so much of my body and life.

- We've NIPped at the local ice cream factory's open house,
while sitting directly in front of the line for free ice
cream, without getting so much as a funny look. And also at
the neighbors' 4th of July picnic and in church during
services. And less publicly, but still in front of
strangers, at the pediatrician's office, at her hearing
test, and in the church nursery.

- We can nurse in an armchair, in an armless chair, with a
pillow, without a pillow, lying down (although not with a
good enough latch), and in front of the computer. One day,
we'll probably be able to add a dozen other ways to the list.

- The 6-week growth spurt has improved my pumping capability
tremendously. I didn't pump at all during the days she was
constantly nursing, but once my body caught up and she
slowed down, I was able to get 2 ounces in 10 minutes.

- I've had to toss 4 ounces of refrigerated EBM due to age,
because giving her a bottle is more troublesome than
nursing. It's going to be an effort to make sure she
doesn't forget how bottles work.

- After a period of diligent effort, Caterpillar will now
take a pacifier. But only one specific variety, as we
learned when the "home suckie" accidentally got left at
work, and Allyson had to make an emergency trip to the
Babies-R-Us. We now have 4 home suckies and 2 work suckies.

I had about all you could ask for in "things that are more
likely to make bf successful": a full-term, healthy,
non-sleepy baby with a normally-good latch, big mouth, and
insatiable appetite; supportive family; lots of reference
material (including this group, which has been invaluable);
and a tremendous amount of stubborn desire to succeed at bf.

And the first two weeks were still horribly hard. I was
really surprised to find that I didn't like bf, even though
I'd expected to. I didn't hate it, in part because once I
got past the initial shock of latch-on, I could feel the
calm-relaxed-happy hormones flowing, but that wasn't enough
to make me like it. The next two weeks, while much easier,
were hard, too. But it's been easier and easier, and now I
can't imagine not nursing her. And I do like it, at least
most of the time.

If I had it to do over, I'd have practiced with a doll (even
if it meant having to go buy a doll so I could pretend to bf
it, which sounded so silly to me before she was born that I
didn't). And I'd have practiced not only every bf position
I could find, but every sling position. I'd have broken out
my tube of Lansinoh earlier (my first thought when I tried
it was "Why did I not do this a week ago?"). I'd have had a
Boppy before she was born, rather than trying to make do
with a mound of pillows that had to be reconfigured in the
middle of the night.

Anyhow, I'm really glad we made it this far; it didn't seem
worth it in the beginning, but it was. Next big milestone
will probably be 6 months, when I'll have to really start
working again.

Phoebe

Phoebe

Old July 14th 03, 03:55 PM
Melissa

Just so you feel better Phoebe, we've been dumping about an ounce of milk
every day. DH comes home from work, tries to give DD a bottle (I try to put
a bit less than an ounce in the bottle just in case she does eat) and then
when DD won't take it, we throw it out. I only pump about two ounces in 20
minutes, so it's a bit frustrating. OTOH, if this is what it takes to help
DD take a bottle, then I'm willing to stick with it. (However, when I think
about the amount of milk I've dumped and the number of women who are sure
they're not making enough, it seems tragic.)

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message
If it's any consolation, one of the bottles had 2 ounces and
one had only one ounce, so it's not quite as bad as it could
have been.

Phoebe

Just know that some women find it very frustrating to dump milk, but
sounds like you did right.

Dawn, typing fast, sprog meltdown imminent

Old July 14th 03, 07:23 PM
Suellen

"Phoebe & Allyson" wrote in message
Well, the Caterpillar and I have made it to 6 weeks. We're
pleased to report the following accomplishments:

(snip)

- We can nurse in an armchair, in an armless chair, with a
pillow, without a pillow, lying down (although not with a
good enough latch), and in front of the computer. One day,
we'll probably be able to add a dozen other ways to the list.

Phoebe

Isn't this from a Dr. Suess book?

Congrats, Phoebe! good work!

Suellen