Getting AF back after total weaning - any experiences with how long?

Old March 19th 04, 08:06 AM
Cathy

Default Getting AF back after total weaning - any experiences with how long?

Instead of being miserable about DD possibly self-weaning (although I've had
a few good cries today - I am not ready for this to be over), I thought I'd
try and be postitive, and hope that I'll get AF back. Has anyone any
experience with how long it took to get AF back after finishing nursing? I
know it is a YMMV thing, but I'm just after peoples experiences. And the
other positive is that I might be able to give blood again - here they don't
let you give till 3 months after stopping BF - how dumb is that?

Cathy

Old March 19th 04, 10:07 AM
Andrea

I got Af back straight away while breastfeeding number 1 every 28 days, but
I think that was because I didn't breastfeed till he was 5 days old.
With the others Af was back within a few weeks of breastfeeding finishing.

Good luck!

Andrea mom of 5.

Old March 19th 04, 05:38 PM
ted

"Cathy" wrote in message ...
Instead of being miserable about DD possibly self-weaning (although I've had
a few good cries today - I am not ready for this to be over), I thought I'd
try and be postitive, and hope that I'll get AF back. Has anyone any
experience with how long it took to get AF back after finishing nursing? I
know it is a YMMV thing, but I'm just after peoples experiences. And the
other positive is that I might be able to give blood again - here they don't
let you give till 3 months after stopping BF - how dumb is that?

Cathy

May I ask why you want AF to come back? I wanted to conceive as soon
as I could. That was my reason for wanting AF to return. So my reply
is based on my experience.

AF returned Postpartum but that was mainly anovulatory bleeding. When
I completely weaned DD, I had AF but very irregularly. the cycles were
35, 20 and 43 days IIRC. So I just started using OPK sticks to see if
I'm ovulating at all! I conceived again without ever getting AF back
on regular cycle.

Don't know if that helps.
Old March 19th 04, 10:42 PM
Cathy

ted wrote:
"Cathy" wrote in message
Instead of being miserable about DD possibly self-weaning (although
I've had
a few good cries today - I am not ready for this to be over), I
thought I'd
try and be postitive, and hope that I'll get AF back. Has anyone any
experience with how long it took to get AF back after finishing
nursing? I
know it is a YMMV thing, but I'm just after peoples experiences.
And the
other positive is that I might be able to give blood again - here
they don't
let you give till 3 months after stopping BF - how dumb is that?

Cathy

May I ask why you want AF to come back? I wanted to conceive as soon
as I could. That was my reason for wanting AF to return. So my reply
is based on my experience.

That is why! DD is 14 months, and in my little perfect plan, we were going
to start trying at 12 months. Of course, then I assumed I would have AF
back at about 8 months. I have had no bleeding whatsoever since the
cessation of lochia. I have started have some sort of 'cycles' in the last
couple of months - mucus changes, and obvious hormone changes, as I have
been teary, or grumpy, or both!

AF returned Postpartum but that was mainly anovulatory bleeding. When
I completely weaned DD, I had AF but very irregularly. the cycles were
35, 20 and 43 days IIRC. So I just started using OPK sticks to see if
I'm ovulating at all! I conceived again without ever getting AF back
on regular cycle.

Don't know if that helps.

It does sort of help, thanks.

Cathy

Old March 20th 04, 11:11 PM
Cathy

KC wrote:
With my first dd I got my first AF 30 days after weaning, and
regularly after that.

Thanks - at the current rate of nursing (now on a strike for 5 1/2 days) we
might be able to TTC #2 properly before toooo long.

Cathy