Advance Child Tax Credit check question

Old August 1st 03, 03:06 AM
Tracy

Default Advance Child Tax Credit check question

My boyfriend, who has custody of his children & is not receiving any child
support, is about to receive an check from the IRS for the advance child tax
credit. Here's the issue... They filed with the status of married filing
jointly - since at the time my boy friend was clueless to his ex's cheating
ways and what was about to hit him. She did some baby sitting last year,
but nothing really grand - and it really hurt in terms of taxes than helped.
So the majority of their income came from him. The advance payment check is
on its way, but in both his & hers names. So he needs her to sign the
check.

Question: What if she refuses to sign unless she receives part of the
money? What can he do? If you were in his situation, would you share in
the check? If so, how much?

He plans on using the check to purchase school clothing & supplies for the
kids. He strongly feels that since she is not paying any child support, nor
does she take the kids like she is suppose to, she should not receive
anything.

Thanks in advance.
Tracy
~~~~~~~
http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
"You can't solve problems with the same
type of thinking that created them."
Albert Einstein

*** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

Old August 1st 03, 03:19 AM
Virginia

If it comes in both names he can return it to the IRS and wait till he
fills taxes in the spring to get it without her name on the check.

This highlights a flaw I had not thought of in regards to advancing
these tax credits, How is the IRS to know how (under what status) one
will file their taxes before they have done so?

Old August 1st 03, 03:26 AM
Bob Whiteside

"Tracy" wrote in message
[...]

He can use a trick my ex pulled on me once that cost me a lot of money. Get
her to endorse the check in exchange for him giving her a personal check to
cover her half. Then put a stop payment on the check he writes to her.
That way he gets 100% of the check amount and it only costs him the stop
payment fee.

Another option is to have you, or another person with female handwriting,
endorse the check as if you are the co-payee. The ex will never know what
happened and the fact they had joint checking accounts previously will make
this okay.

The Oregon courts will back up either fraudulent act. Just cite my case.

Old August 1st 03, 04:55 AM
Tracy

"Virginia" wrote in message
If it comes in both names he can return it to the IRS and wait till he
fills taxes in the spring to get it without her name on the check.

Can someone do this? But he needs the money now - as school is approaching
and he needs money to purchase school clothes, etc.

This highlights a flaw I had not thought of in regards to advancing
these tax credits, How is the IRS to know how (under what status) one
will file their taxes before they have done so?

They are basing the amount on last years tax return. They've done this
before.

Tracy
~~~~~~~

Old August 1st 03, 04:57 AM
Tracy

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message
arthlink.net...

"Tracy" wrote in message
[...]

I choose not to break the law, nor would my boy friend ever expect me to. I
wanted to know what others would do if they found themselves in that
situation. If you are a NCP, and you didn't pay *any* child support - would
you feel it was okay if the CP kept 100% of the money?

Tracy
~~~~~~~

Old August 1st 03, 06:28 AM
teachrmama

"Tracy" wrote in message
[...]

I, myself, would certainly feel that way. But there are other things this
woman chose to do that I would never consider, so I doubt if her reasoning
would follow mine on this issue, either. All he can do is ask--the worst
she can do is say no. If she won't give it all up, perhaps she would
consider a more equitable split than 50/50. Maybe 80/20.

Old August 1st 03, 06:42 AM
Tracy

"Tracy" wrote in message
[...]

That's what I told him. Offer to give her some, but nothing close to 50%.
He doesn't want to give her anything, and he isn't looking forward to asking
for that signature. I have some time to talk to him about this more...
perhaps by the time he crosses that bridge there won't be an issue because
he's more willing to negotiate. ;-)

Tracy
~~~~~~~

Old August 1st 03, 10:00 AM
Mel Gamble

Why is he not receiving CS? If by mutual agreement, he could tell her that
continuance of the agreement is contingent on her signing that check.

My boyfriend, who has custody of his children & is not receiving any child
support, is about to receive an check from the IRS for the advance child tax
credit. Here's the issue... They filed with the status of married filing
jointly - since at the time my boy friend was clueless to his ex's cheating
ways and what was about to hit him. She did some baby sitting last year,
but nothing really grand - and it really hurt in terms of taxes than helped.
So the majority of their income came from him. The advance payment check is
on its way, but in both his & hers names. So he needs her to sign the
check.

Question: What if she refuses to sign unless she receives part of the
money? What can he do? If you were in his situation, would you share in
the check? If so, how much?

NO WAY. That check is supposedly for costs associated with raising the kid(s)
THIS year. If he's already had them the majority of the time and will continue
to do so for the rest of the year, those are HIS costs. Since she is paying
nothing to offset HIS costs for the kids, she'd have to have them nearly half
the time to justify no CS AND getting part of that check...

He plans on using the check to purchase school clothing & supplies for the
kids. He strongly feels that since she is not paying any child support, nor
does she take the kids like she is suppose to, she should not receive
anything.

He is correct.

Mel Gamble

Thanks in advance.
Tracy

Old August 1st 03, 10:13 AM
Mel Gamble

"Virginia" wrote in message
t...
If it comes in both names he can return it to the IRS and wait till he
fills taxes in the spring to get it without her name on the check.

Can someone do this?

*IF* there was a way to actually return the check, it would seem so. If
he/they HADN'T received the check, he would be claiming the credit when he
files his taxes for this year (based on the financial details you've provided).
The problem is in returning the check and getting an acknowledgement that it
was received by IRS.

This probably isn't as much of a problem as it might seem, due to the fact that
there will probably be MILLIONS of returns next year which will not acknowledge
the receipt of the credit in advance...it may well be an "error" that IRS will
turn a blind eye to. In which case he could just destroy the check (to keep
his conscience clear) and file based on not having received it.

But he needs the money now - as school is approaching
and he needs money to purchase school clothes, etc.

So tell her she's going to be paying at minimum $50/month through the state if
she doesn't sign off....

This highlights a flaw I had not thought of in regards to advancing
these tax credits, How is the IRS to know how (under what status) one
will file their taxes before they have done so?

They are basing the amount on last years tax return.

*******************************
They've done this before.

*******************************
???????????

Mel Gamble

Tracy

Old August 1st 03, 10:15 AM
Mel Gamble

Doesn't seem like that's the question you're asking here, Tracy...

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message
. earthlink.net...

"Tracy" wrote in message
[...]

....seems more like you're asking if it's OK for the CP to keep the money
WITHOUT the NCP's approval, and in this case it would seem justified.

Mel Gamble

Tracy