Discipline vs. Punishment

Old November 11th 04, 02:20 AM
John

Default Discipline vs. Punishment

I read something yesterday that I think explains the difference a lot better
than I could on my own. Hope this helps:

"There are two ways of hurting: from the outside in, and from the inside out.
Hurting from the outside in only goes skin deep. It occurs when someone else
is angry or when children can't make a connection between the infraction and
the parent's response. It just doesn't sink in. This occurs when the response
is not something that would happen to an adult in the real world.

Instead of punishment, we use the concept of hurting from the inside out. We
allow children to suffer the consequences of their decisions so that every time
they ask themselves this question--"Who's making me hurt like that?"--they have
to turn around and say "Oh, me."

We oppose punishment because it doesn't lead to self examination. Instead it
leads to resentment. When children hurt from the inside out by correctly
suffering the consequences of their actions, they examine their actions. "

John
-------
http://www.members.aol.com/crucifyself03/Rsteve -Steve Walz website
http://www.members.aol.com/crucifyse...walz/index.htm -Topical
postings page.
Should such a violent person be in a mental ward, behind bars or roaming
Newsgroups?
Old November 11th 04, 12:44 PM
Mike Rosenberg

John wrote:

I read something yesterday that I think explains the difference a lot
better than I could on my own.

John, please don't quote things without attributing the sources. For
one thing, we need that information to properly evaluate it. For
another, it's copyright infringement.

--
Mike Rosenberg
http://www.macconsult.com Macintosh consulting services for NE Florida
Old November 13th 04, 04:55 AM
R. Steve Walz

John wrote:

[...]

----------------------------
But this all depends on whether this terminology is a sham and a
euphemism to excuse abuse by just calling it something else. LOTS
of people pull THAT ****, try one out of two parents!!! Lots of
people will hit/slap/spank/frighten or interfere with their child's
rights and then CALL it the child's doing, when every child knows
better!
Steve
Old November 13th 04, 04:57 AM
R. Steve Walz

Mike Rosenberg wrote:

John wrote:

I read something yesterday that I think explains the difference a lot
better than I could on my own.

John, please don't quote things without attributing the sources. For
one thing, we need that information to properly evaluate it. For
another, it's copyright infringement.

--
Mike Rosenberg

Irrelevant, the Internet and the invention of personal computers has
made this moot. Copyright won't even exist much longer. You can't even
tell if people are borrowing, stealing, loaning - as with a library,
or what, when data vanishes at the touch of a key and has no physical
form!
Steve