return to work and preparing my baby for a babysitter

Old June 14th 05, 04:49 PM

Default return to work and preparing my baby for a babysitter

Hi! My daughter is almost 7 month now and in September I need to be
back to work and she will be with a babysitter during the day (most
likely the whole day, about 10 hours). I am a first-time mom and so is
her babysitter (babysitter's son is 1.5 months younger than my
daughter). The babysitter doesn't have much experience in childcare, so
we both have lots of questions. I would like to make this transition
the least stressful for my baby, and start working with a peaceful mind
(although I'll probably be very anxious anyway). I'll appreciate if
you could help me with your advice on a few questions:

1. How to introduce the baby to the babysitter? The babysitter is just
someone I found through an ad online, we haven't even met much. Does
it make sense let my girl stay with the babysitter a few times for a
few hours before I dive into work and she has to be there all day long?
My daughter is very attached to me and will probably be more attached
in a couple of months.

2. What kind of items will the babysitter need to care for my baby
(besides the regular set - diapers, bottles, etc.)? I don't have an
extra crib - does it make sense to buy one or will she be ok sleeping
on a mattress on the floor? She always sleeps on a mattress on the
floor when we visit my in-laws, but she's 7 months now and not very
mobile. Would a mattress be a good idea when she's 9 months or should I
still buy a crib for her?

3. Day schedule - it is wise to ask a babysitter to stick to some kind
of schedule (feeding, sleep)? I don't really feed her by the clock
these days, more on demand (she's breastfed) but obviously I'll have to
give up breastfeeding when I start working.

4. General issues - I don't know how to phrase this question
properly, but I would like to know what the babysitter is planning to
do with the baby and how she's going to adjust her life (shopping,
household duties, hobbies, etc.) to her childcare commitment. I
wouldn't like her to watch TV all day or take my child grocery
shopping - how should I start this topic with the babysitter without
too much interference in her personal life?

5. Any other tips and recommendations? I'll be very, very thankful
for any information you're willing to share.

Thank you in advance for all replies!

Old June 14th 05, 10:42 PM
Jeanne

Hi! My daughter is almost 7 month now and in September I need to be
back to work and she will be with a babysitter during the day (most
likely the whole day, about 10 hours). I am a first-time mom and so is
her babysitter (babysitter's son is 1.5 months younger than my
daughter). The babysitter doesn't have much experience in childcare, so
we both have lots of questions.

[snip]

1. How to introduce the baby to the babysitter? The babysitter is just
someone I found through an ad online, we haven't even met much.

You may want to back up a bit. Be sure you carefully check out this
woman. If she's a new care giver then what makes you think she'll be
good for your daughter? Does she have any background or training? Is
she good with children? Babies?

Before you commit this one babysitter, sit down with her and talk over
all the issues you listed below. Make sure you at least agree on
parenting/childrearing philosophies. Then set up house rules and what
to do. If she has certain quirks as a mother, are you okay with them?

Does
it make sense let my girl stay with the babysitter a few times for a
few hours before I dive into work and she has to be there all day long?
My daughter is very attached to me and will probably be more attached
in a couple of months.

I started daycare about a week or two before I started work and eased DD
(and later DS) into the experience. The first day, the baby stayed only
two hours. Then half a day. Then a full day. And so on. I also
developed a drop-off routine and a pick-up routine.

2. What kind of items will the babysitter need to care for my baby
(besides the regular set - diapers, bottles, etc.)? I don't have an
extra crib - does it make sense to buy one or will she be ok sleeping
on a mattress on the floor? She always sleeps on a mattress on the
floor when we visit my in-laws, but she's 7 months now and not very
mobile. Would a mattress be a good idea when she's 9 months or should I
still buy a crib for her?

IN Maryland, I think babies need to be in cribs. At 18 months, they can
be moved to low cots.

3. Day schedule - it is wise to ask a babysitter to stick to some kind
of schedule (feeding, sleep)? I don't really feed her by the clock
these days, more on demand (she's breastfed) but obviously I'll have to
give up breastfeeding when I start working.

That's up to you and the babysitter to decide. Most babysitters find
*they* do better with a strict (but not rigid) schedule.

As for breastfeeding, there's absolutely no reason why you need to give
it up. You can pump during the day. Even if you decide not to pump,
your supply will be well established and you can breastfeed part-time.

4. General issues - I don't know how to phrase this question
properly, but I would like to know what the babysitter is planning to
do with the baby and how she's going to adjust her life (shopping,
household duties, hobbies, etc.) to her childcare commitment. I
wouldn't like her to watch TV all day or take my child grocery
shopping - how should I start this topic with the babysitter without
too much interference in her personal life?

Again you need to discuss this with your babysitter. I didn't mind DD's
babysitter running errands.

Jeaane