problem behaviour of 14 month old

Old November 17th 03, 05:24 PM
jojo

Default problem behaviour of 14 month old

Our son has a funny habit that I would love to help him lose.

Background: he sleeps in a pack'n'play in our room
(we have transitioned him there from co-sleeping)

He still wakes once a night and want a sippy cup.
That's not a problem.
The problem is he is fine (kinda I want my cup whiny)
until I leave to get him some milk. Then he starts
screaming like crazy until I get back with it.

We have never denied him his cup (to him it is better than a security
blanket)
and always rush to get it right away...still he gets very upset till we get
back with it.

What can I do?
I have tried comforting him before I get the cup to no avail.
I also try taking him with me to get the cup, but it wakes him up too much!

any ideas?

thanks,
jojo

Old November 17th 03, 05:40 PM
dragonlady

In article . com,
"jojo" wrote:

[...]

How about putting the sippy cup beside the bed, with a thermos with milk
in it? That way, you don't have to get out of bed to fill the cup and
give it to him.

Alternatively, see if he'll switch to water at night (probably a good
idea anyway) so you can just keep the sippy cup with water in it beside
the bed.

(I know -- you asked for ways to help him lose his habit -- but at this
age I found it was often more effective to just restructure things so
that the behavior didn't happen in the first place.)

meh

Old November 17th 03, 05:52 PM
Sophie

How about putting the sippy cup beside the bed, with a thermos with milk
in it? That way, you don't have to get out of bed to fill the cup and
give it to him.

Alternatively, see if he'll switch to water at night (probably a good
idea anyway) so you can just keep the sippy cup with water in it beside
the bed.

(I know -- you asked for ways to help him lose his habit -- but at this
age I found it was often more effective to just restructure things so
that the behavior didn't happen in the first place.)

meh

That's what we did, switched the cup to water and put it near my bed or the
child's bed.

Old November 17th 03, 06:48 PM
Sue

The girls were switched over to water at the point and I kept a sippy cup by
them so they could drink it if they wanted to.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

igy.com...

Old November 17th 03, 07:21 PM
jojo

"dragonlady" wrote in message
In article . com,
"jojo" wrote:

[...]

yes, I have tried an insulated cup by the bed and that helps.
We tried switching to water, but he just throws that. We usually give him
half
water half milk during the night.

thanks,
jojo

Old November 17th 03, 07:26 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article m,
jojo wrote:

yes, I have tried an insulated cup by the bed and that helps.
We tried switching to water, but he just throws that. We usually give him
half water half milk during the night.

Since you're already diluting the milk, try diluting it a little more
each night (or every 2 nights) until it's all water. If you make the
change gradual, it might be more readily accepted. I do think breaking
the bedtime milk habit is the best way out of your current situation
(and is probably better for his teeth too).

Good luck!!

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)
Old November 17th 03, 07:57 PM
Mamma Mia

"Sophie" wrote in message

How about putting the sippy cup beside the bed, with a thermos with milk
in it? That way, you don't have to get out of bed to fill the cup and
give it to him.

Alternatively, see if he'll switch to water at night (probably a good
idea anyway) so you can just keep the sippy cup with water in it beside
the bed.

(I know -- you asked for ways to help him lose his habit -- but at this
age I found it was often more effective to just restructure things so
that the behavior didn't happen in the first place.)

meh

That's what we did, switched the cup to water and put it near my bed or

the
child's bed.

that is what i was going to say!

Old November 17th 03, 07:59 PM
jojo

"Robyn Kozierok" wrote in message
In article m,
jojo wrote:

yes, I have tried an insulated cup by the bed and that helps.
We tried switching to water, but he just throws that. We usually give him
half water half milk during the night.

Since you're already diluting the milk, try diluting it a little more
each night (or every 2 nights) until it's all water. If you make the
change gradual, it might be more readily accepted. I do think breaking
the bedtime milk habit is the best way out of your current situation
(and is probably better for his teeth too).

Good luck!!

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)

You are right of course, I'm really worried about those teeth.
I'll try for a gradual thing, thanks!
jojo

3 month old not eating daisy General 8 November 14th 03 05:27 PM
15 Month refuses to drink anything (Eats solids fine) Nancy P General 1 August 29th 03 02:38 PM
Help - picky 12 month old Sunshine General 6 August 20th 03 06:54 AM
6 month old schedule question Penny Gaines General 2 August 1st 03 10:09 AM
Getting a 6 Month on a Schedule Stephanie S General 2 July 8th 03 11:18 PM