Bad latch,small mouth, cracked nipples

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 31st 08, 10:16 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Default Bad latch,small mouth, cracked nipples

Hi All

Before I post my BA and BS on m.k.p I could do with some advice.

Despite thinking I knew what I was doing second time round I am again
having horrible problems bf'ing.

After 4 days of the baby being unsatisfied after every feed I spoke to
bf consultant who suggested my latch isn't right. I agree as the
nipple, as well as being cracked and sore, is also going flat shaped.
From what i can figure out ds#2 has a small mouth and so is having
trouble getting lots of breast tissuse in his mouth. I'm working on
the positioning so the nipple is towards the roof of his mouth but
even so he just doesn't seem to be getting enough milk at each feed.
He has refused to sleep from day 2, so just to get some sleep we have
supplemented at night. I know this will not help his latch but no
sleep is not an option, so it's just a temporary measure. From tonight
I am measuring the feeds so will reduce it each night, but for now
they have to stay.

In the meantime I need to help in finding a way for him to get him
mouth open wide enough to get a decent feed. I have been nursing
almost non-stop in the day but that's not helping because he is too
tired once he does latch to feed, so just falls asleep. I'm losing the
will to try because I am so sore but desperatley want to keep going.
I've used all the tricks to try and keep him awake but he does need
sleep. He will sleep in the sling so will use that as much as possible
so he's refreshed ready for the next feed. But the mouth opening is
the issue I need help on. I'm off to the local bf'ing drop-in clinic
on Friday but would really appreciate some help.

Thanks

Jeni

Pumping and cracked nipples FayeC Breastfeeding 3 May 5th 06 02:29 PM
OT - dry, cracked skin [email protected] General 15 February 7th 06 06:25 PM
co-sleeping not all it's cracked up to be... Jo Pregnancy 11 November 28th 05 06:12 AM
Cracked rib update Jenrose Pregnancy 9 December 12th 04 09:59 PM
Better, but I think I cracked a rib Jenrose Pregnancy 3 December 10th 04 06:08 AM