I'm up late waiting

Old November 3rd 04, 11:28 PM
Nan

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 15:13:56 -0800, "Circe"
scribbled:

Nan wrote:
Of ffs. I'm tired of people moping around as if the world has
ended.

Are you saying you don't think those who believe Kerry is a dangerous
traitor would not be similarly unhappy if *he* had won?

People are entitled to their feelings about this election, and are entitled
to express them. The world may not have ended, but don't deny those of us
who feel strongly that Kerry would have made a fine president and that Bush
has already shown himself to be a miserable one our feelings or complain
when we express them. The other side is perfectly free to express its
jubilance, after all.

Oh, now you're taking everything out of context. Of course everyone
has the right to express their feelings. I'm not talking about people
being "unhappy". I was "unhappy" when Gore lost in 2000. However, I
didn't go overboard with the doom and gloom.
One thing that's always been nice about the US is that we've managed
to pick ourselves up and move forward. To stay entrenched in the
"fear for the future" just gives too much power to those that wish to
hurt us.

Nan

Old November 4th 04, 01:23 AM
H Schinske

emily@xxxxxx wrote:

And as much as I can't
stand Bush's policies and think that he's taking the country down the
toilet, I have to concede that he *won* the popular vote (this time), and
since we live in a democracy I'll just have to deal with the fact that the
majority of voting Americans don't agree with me.

I do think the electoral system is disguising things, though. That red
state/blue state thing has got to go -- it makes it look as though the
differences of opinion were among different areas of the country, and not
occurring to a great degree WITHIN each state all over the country.

--Helen
Old November 4th 04, 01:52 AM
emilymr

I do think the electoral system is disguising things, though. That red
state/blue state thing has got to go -- it makes it look as though the
differences of opinion were among different areas of the country, and

not
occurring to a great degree WITHIN each state all over the country.

--Helen

Definitely. I was clicking on individual states on CNN's website (I think
it was CNN) and they had red/blue areas for precincts. But if you look at
CA, for example, it was pretty clear that the coast is largely democrat
and the interior is largely republican -- so even on that metalevel, the
generalization holds. And the electoral college notwithstanding, he *did*
win the popular vote, right? (I'm not up on the numbers at the moment.)

I *am* annoyed by all the post-election analysis that republicans voted on
"issues of morality", as if non-republicans aren't interested in morality
and don't consider their stances on things like gay marriage, poverty,
pre-emptive war, etc.to be deeply moral. :P (Umm, can you be 'deeply
moral'??

Em
baby boy, due Nov. 18

Old November 4th 04, 04:04 AM
Kaybee

I did that too. Stayed up late but fell asleep around 1:30 on the
couch...darn had to wait till morning to find out because when I woke to go
potty Dan Rather was just breaking to commercial.

Kay
Eva 9/2002
little boy 1/2005

"Christine" wrote in message
to see gets elected,,,,
anyone with me?

Chloe is sound asleep...;-)
I'll pay for it in the morning when she wants to play,

she discovered that she can play her (play school) piano with her
feet,,,,Oh is it cute..;-))
she's not playing now though...she just kicks and kicks and makes
music...LOL....

Old November 4th 04, 04:06 AM
Kaybee

"Christine" wrote in message
I'm guilty of being happy about the election, but my vote did'nt do a
thing because my state lost it's butt to Kerry..;(

Mine did too... but then again Bush won again so that didn't matter!!!!!

Old November 4th 04, 04:29 AM
Chotii

"H Schinske" wrote in message
emily@xxxxxx wrote:

And as much as I can't
stand Bush's policies and think that he's taking the country down the
toilet, I have to concede that he *won* the popular vote (this time), and
since we live in a democracy I'll just have to deal with the fact that the
majority of voting Americans don't agree with me.

I do think the electoral system is disguising things, though. That red
state/blue state thing has got to go -- it makes it look as though the
differences of opinion were among different areas of the country, and not
occurring to a great degree WITHIN each state all over the country.

This is true. However, states are legal entities in the same way that cities
are legal entities. You may have an area of town that is the barrio, and one
where all the Italians live, and one where all the Jewish folks live, and
one where all the Chinese live....but they all live in the same city, and
when decisions are made for the city, everyone is affected the same.

To borrow a phrase from Toby Nixon, representative in the Washington State
Legislature (R):

"Are we a federation of states, or are we one nation that just happens to
have state-sized political subdivisions for convenience?"

If we are a federation of states, then the differences between areas within
the state is irrelevent. Each state sends its representatives based on which
candidate wins in that state. In any given state, you can assume that any
densely-populated area will be more politically liberal than a less
densely-populated area. Western Washington is extremely politically liberal.
Eastern Washington is extremely politically conservative. Yet we are all
Washingtonians. And as long as Washington is an independent entity within
the federation, there will be an internal conflict between east and west,
the desire of suburbia clashing with the desire of the farmers, the loggers,
and the small town dwellers...but when we must vote on national issues like
the presidential race, we present a solid front.

--angela

Old November 4th 04, 05:05 AM
Kelly

I agree. We are in a worse situation than we started and the only "hope" we
have is that the house realizes that 48% of Americans voted against Bush so
they really really have to be careful, make some changes, and not continue
this screw up they have built. I *am* fearful, that is one of the reasons I
would never have voted for the current president. Heck, he didn't even have
global support! *That's* scary.

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"firedancer623" wrote in message

"Christine" wrote in message
I'm very worried about the US as well, that is why I voted for Bush..

Wow, I just don't get how people are actually in support of him. I guess

if
you enjoy living in a country on a course of destruction. Dedicated to
smashing gays, eradicating woman's rights, absorbing the HUGE deficit,
invading countries whenever they feel like it, taxing the middle class so
the rich get richer...need i go on?

People are so fearful of change. It's sad. I heard something really true
today - "we get upset about muslim fundamentalists but the Christian
fundamentalists in our country have just taken us into the Twilight zone"

What a sad, sad, day it is.

Old November 4th 04, 05:07 AM
Kelly

We had the opportunity to change and it lost. I imagine you will see some
Americans heading north to join you. Honestly, it will happen that a small
percentage of people will move out of the US. Feel very fortunate

Kelly

"Zaz" wrote in message
.. .
I don't mean to intrude... I am a Canadian and did not have a say in the
U.S. elections (although they are bound to have an impact on my life).
However, the way this discussion seems to be going reminds me of a very
similar one, 4 years ago, on the Weight Watchers newsgroup.

People on the ng started to discuss Gore vs Bush personality, politics,
etc., and it rapidly descended to very emotional levels... And these

people
are not pregnant!

I should say I must commend Americans for their turn-out at this election,
it was a great feat of democracy. As for the results, congrats to those

who
won, my heart to those who lost... So please, there are politics ng, and I
thing they would be better suited for anything like that.

Then again, it's really none of my business, and I apologise again for
intruding. I just hate to see people fighting over something that can't be
changed (that's the Canadian strike in me, I guess).

Isabelle.

Old November 4th 04, 05:10 AM
Kelly

I love the fact that Bush cancelled my state in his tour because he didn't
stand a chance here.

I can get stirred up pretty easily, because our children are going to suffer
from this 8 year term, but I hold some hope that we will see some productive
and effective work done (unlike what we have seen) as nearly half the US is
going to do everything possible.

Kelly

Query : Late Period Kazh Pregnancy 20 July 26th 04 04:31 PM
Ashley's Birth Story (a bit late) LONG kandie s Pregnancy 3 May 16th 04 05:53 PM
How do you manage late pregnancy exams? Shelly Pregnancy 24 January 24th 04 01:58 AM
being late Robyn Kozierok General (moderated) 27 September 2nd 03 02:09 PM
Too late to correct a bad latch? ted Breastfeeding 5 July 11th 03 08:58 PM