Why does this bother me? (re - breastfeeding)

Old June 4th 04, 02:36 AM
Alpha

Default Why does this bother me? (re - breastfeeding)

Sophie says:

Have any of you who breastfeed in public ever had anyone say anything
rude to you? Just curious.

I've never had anyone say anything rude to me. That having been said, I'm
the sort who prefers to find a place that offers at least a little privacy.
I'd rather visit the Nordstrom mom's room than nurse on a mall bench, for
instance.

The bigger problem I've had when nursing in public is that I've had a few
gawkers, male and female. One time in Ikea this guy just couldn't get his
eye full enough.

-- Alpha
mom to Eamon and Quinn
Old June 4th 04, 02:46 AM
New York Jen

Have any of you who breastfeed in public ever had anyone say anything rude
to you? Just curious.

Sophie
#4 due July 7, 2004

Nope, but I'm dying to just so I could tear them a new a**hole!

I've been very lucky with nursing in public, which I do all the time and am
quite comfortable. The other day I had Lily in the Baby Trekker carrier and
I whipped out my boob and latched her on while I finished my food shopping.
Nobody even noticed, other than my mother, who was totally embarrassed.

- Jen

#4 due July 7, 2004

Last weekend I was nursing on a bench on the boardwalk (with the double
stroller in front of me, which pretty much blocks the view). An older woman
sat on the bench next to me, asked if I was nursing, and expressed amazement
that people do that publicly nowadays. She hadn't nursed her children, but
was generally curious, and it was a nice conversation. That was the first
time (20 months of nursing the first child, one month of the second) a
stranger's ever said anything to me, either way.

The other day a bookstore I was nursing during storytime. I think, but am
not sure, that one parent made a negative comment to another about me
nursing. Oh well....

Nancy

Old June 4th 04, 03:12 AM
Circe

Cheryl S. wrote:
"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
Fortunately, no, no one's ever been rude to me. I
think a few people have been vaguely embarrassed (not because
they saw anything--just embarrassed that anyone would do
such a crazy thing in principle), but most of the time
there's been no response or a positive response. I've
had people tell me they've encountered rude people, so
either I'm lucky or maybe I'm just intimidating--I dunno ;-)

You and I probably give off the same "I dare you to say something"
vibe. ;-)

Ditto. I've always figured it was the same vibe I give off while pregnant
that says "Touch my belly and you're dead" g. I know I have gotten the
occasional offended look, but only because my husband tells me so. If he
didn't notice, I know I never would!
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."

Old June 4th 04, 03:16 AM
Larry McMahan

Sophie writes:

: Have any of you who breastfeed in public ever had anyone say anything rude
: to you? Just curious.

No, we live in California! :-)

Larry,
not me; Monika!
Old June 4th 04, 03:21 AM
Circe

Cheryl S. wrote:
Wait, two weeks ago at Julie's preschool, another mom saw me sit
down to nurse Jaden and said, "I miss nursing." I'm pretty sure
that's the first comment anyone's made to me while NIP.

I have actually had a fair number of conversations about this over the years
while NIP, particularly as my babies got into the toddler years. You'd never
believe the number of women I've encountered who guiltily confessed to me as
I nursed my 1+yo that they had nursed until their children were 2, 3, or
(shocking!) even more than 3yo. I always enjoy these conversations during
which I unblinkingly own to having nursed my oldest for 3y2m and to knowing
quite a number of moms who nursed until their kids were closer to 5yo.

Old June 4th 04, 03:21 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Circe wrote:

Cheryl S. wrote:

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message

Fortunately, no, no one's ever been rude to me. I
think a few people have been vaguely embarrassed (not because
they saw anything--just embarrassed that anyone would do
such a crazy thing in principle), but most of the time
there's been no response or a positive response. I've
had people tell me they've encountered rude people, so
either I'm lucky or maybe I'm just intimidating--I dunno ;-)

You and I probably give off the same "I dare you to say something"
vibe. ;-)

Ditto. I've always figured it was the same vibe I give off while pregnant
that says "Touch my belly and you're dead" g. I know I have gotten the
occasional offended look, but only because my husband tells me so. If he
didn't notice, I know I never would!

Yeah, I must have the no-belly-touching thing going too.
No stranger has *ever* touched my belly, and hardly any
relatives have either--even the ones who would have been
welcome to do so ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old June 4th 04, 03:22 AM
Cathy Weeks

"Sophie" wrote in message ...

Have any of you who breastfeed in public ever had anyone say anything rude
to you? Just curious.

No. I've been very lucky in that regard. The only slightly wierd thing
that happened was at Costco, when I sat on a bench and nursed Kivi in
the alcove next to the pharmacy. It was relatively secluded, since I
could only be seen from one side, and it wasn't a high-traffic area at
that moment.

The clerk REALLY wanted me to move to the patient counseling room,
that had a chair and a door. I finally looked at her, and said
mildly, "Look, am I showing or something?" She just mumbled that she
thought I'd want more privacy, and left me alone after that.

But the people who even seemed to notice mostly just smiled
approvingly. I've heard horror stories about rude people, but it
seems so incongruous, given my overwhelmingly positive experience with
it. I'm STILL NIP'ing my 2.5 year old, and haven't had anyone even
seem to think it was wierd (at least no one has shared it.)

The only person who thought my extended breastfeeding was wierd was a
friend of mine who is bottle-feeding (not by choice - she had had
breast reduction surgery, and couldn't breastfeed, as it the case in
95% of that surgery type). She didn't have a problem with NIP, but
thought a two-and-a-half-year-old was shockingly old. She had heard
of such things, but never knew anyone who actually did it.

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old June 4th 04, 03:29 AM
Cathy Weeks

"Sophie" wrote in message ...
Mini-vent coming on -

As a person who did not/does not breastfeed, why does it bother me when
people say breastfeeding in public is "inappropriate" - and particularly
it's inappropriate in a **restaurant**??

Because you aren't stupid? I'm not sure why the fact that you
bottlefed has anything to do with it, unless your reasons for
bottlefeeding instead of breastfeeding were because you though it was
*inappropriate* to expose your breasts to a baby or something, but
given what you wrote above, that seems unlikely. :-)

Ugh! I can't imagine how it makes
breastfeeders feel. It's absolutely insane. First of all how is feeding a
baby, in any fashion, "inappropriate" in a restaurant?? Where better to
feed them?? Well, from the responses apparently the bathroom would be
better - ick!

Yeah, I've never understood that one, either. They wouldn't want to
eat in the bathroom, but don't have a problem suggesting that a woman
pump or feed her infant in the bathroom.

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old June 4th 04, 03:36 AM
JennP

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message

Yeah, I must have the no-belly-touching thing going too.
No stranger has *ever* touched my belly, and hardly any
relatives have either--even the ones who would have been
welcome to do so ;-)

I guess I'm part of the "Don't mess with me" appearance club too. No one
*ever* tried to touch my belly or made a comment (to my face that I know of)
about NIP. If people did try to touch me though I would have just stepped
away quickly. I'm not a touchy person.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00