Military recruiters..any moms of teenage males here?

Old December 5th 04, 01:24 AM
dragonlady

In article ,
Nan wrote:

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 20:23:20 GMT, dragonlady
scribbled:

In article ,
Nan wrote:

On 3 Dec 2004 13:57:48 GMT, enigma scribbled:

the schools. they are required to give student info to
military recruiters, including home phone numbers... & no,
there is no opt-out.
an 18 year old male is required to register for the draft, so
is likely to get more calls.

So, when did it become mandated? I got called my senior year, just
like my brother did his senior year, back in '80 and '81. I hung up
on the recruiter because he was a jerk, but it wouldn't have occurred
to me back then to have an issue with it. It was just something you
expected to happen.

Nan

The requirement that schools give info to military recruiters was part
of the "No Child Left Behind" thing -- so relatively recent.

All of my kids -- son and daughters -- have gotten info from military
recruiters.

Hmmm... it sounds like a case of "here's federal funding, but this is
what you have to do, in order to receive it", then.

Nan

Yup.

Most schools don't send out "opt out" forms -- they aren't required to
-- but if you want your kids' info NOT sent to the military, you can
send a letter to the school and the school has to comply. However, it
is likely that you have to send a new letter each year. Frankly, it
sounded like more trouble than it was worth, for me at least. So far,
none of my kids has seemed at all interested in military service. My
son registered when he turned 18; I found myself resenting TWO things:
that he had to register -- and that his sisters didn't.

Old December 5th 04, 01:37 AM
Nan

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 01:24:39 GMT, dragonlady
scribbled:

Hmmm... it sounds like a case of "here's federal funding, but this is
what you have to do, in order to receive it", then.

Nan

Yup.

It's too bad that the schools are put in the position of having to
sell our private information.

Most schools don't send out "opt out" forms -- they aren't required to
-- but if you want your kids' info NOT sent to the military, you can
send a letter to the school and the school has to comply. However, it
is likely that you have to send a new letter each year. Frankly, it
sounded like more trouble than it was worth, for me at least. So far,
none of my kids has seemed at all interested in military service. My
son registered when he turned 18; I found myself resenting TWO things:
that he had to register -- and that his sisters didn't.

I was never bothered that a recruiter might call my ds, but I've never
felt it was right that only males have to register.

Does the school inform the parents that their personal information
will be given out? So much for privacy.

Nan

Old December 6th 04, 03:44 PM
Sandie Hudson

"Denise Anderson" wrote in message
How often does he cook you Beef Yokosoba or chili mac? Those are the
staples on my husband's carrier right now.

I don't even know what Beef Yokosoba is. We don't have Chili Mac often.
Yesterday was a really good day, we had Schnitzel for lunch and Steak for
supper.

Sandie

Old December 6th 04, 03:48 PM
Sandie Hudson

"Nan" wrote in message
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 18:42:47 GMT, "Denise Anderson"
scribbled:

"Nan" wrote in

Not necessarily. It would depend on the "when", which is why I am
wondering. If it's been mandated for longer than the last year and a
half, then your theory doesn't hold up.

Nan

It's been at least 4 years, IIRC.

Thanks Denise. So, it's been since before 9/11 and everything that's
changed since that day....

My ds tells me his Guard unit continues to get new recruits, but I
don't know what the rate was before the war, either.

Nan

My oldest is 25 now and he got the same calls, mail etc. as my now almost 18
yo gets.

Sandie

Review: Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (* 1/2) Steve Rhodes General 0 February 19th 04 07:53 PM
At 3:22 am mom & son nancy Pregnancy 1 December 20th 03 06:57 PM
Mystery MILITARY deaths fuel vaccine anxieties john Kids Health 2 September 18th 03 07:27 PM