Hiccupy child

Old October 9th 03, 07:39 PM
Mary W.

Default Hiccupy child

jojo wrote:

prevent them) that anyone's willing to share?

I use a glass of water with an upside down knife in it. The knife handle

is
against my forhead while I drink the water. I have no idea why this
works better than just drinking a glass of water, but it does!

Mary

It works because you have to concentrate. Hiccups are nothing more that a
contracting of the
diaphragm. Some say sit your child down and have them try to touch their
nose with their tongue.
This works too because they concentrate.
Peanut butter and sugar work the same way.
That is why some people can just stop their hiccups by concentrating without
any aid.

Ahh.. Thanks!

Mary

Old October 9th 03, 10:45 PM
just me

"Frisbee® MCNGP" wrote in message

Interesting... I, too, have learned how to control it and make it stop
myself within one or two hiccups. I've never heard of anyone else who'd
managed to accomplish this, however. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I

prove
it when it happens. On rare occasion it can take six or so hiccups before

stop, though.

Interesting. I'd just assumed that as one got older and learned more one
learned how to control the hiccoughs. Are we that unusual [I've never asked
others]?

I have an unusual situation where I can get the hiccups if I'm smoking
outdoors (I only smoke outdoors), and the air is very cold. I've noticed
that if I go to inhale the smoke, it will often, and consistently cause a
hiccup (yeah, I know... serves me right :-) ) but that if I breath in
slightly first through my nose, then inhale through my mouth, it doesn't
happen.

Interesting. I get hiccoughs often when eating french fries [which I love!]
or occassionally mashed potatos. Since starting low carb eating [and
deleting most potatos most of the time] I have not had any hiccough attacks!

-Aula

Old October 10th 03, 01:52 AM
Circe

"Sophie" wrote in message
I drink from the other side of the glass. I don't know if you can get
Aurora to do that though.

This is my cure for myself, but Aurora (and even Julian) can't manage it
just yet.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [19mo] mom)

"Together we help the future grow." -- School slogan

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old October 10th 03, 01:52 AM
Circe

"iphigenia" wrote in message
Circe wrote:
Any other similar
remedies for hiccups (or ways to prevent them) that anyone's willing
to share?

I hold my breath, and it always works within seconds.

Breath-holding hasn't ever worked for either of my kids, unfortunately.

Old October 10th 03, 01:54 AM
Circe

"jojo" wrote in message
. ..
It works because you have to concentrate. Hiccups are nothing more that a
contracting of the
diaphragm. Some say sit your child down and have them try to touch their
nose with their tongue.
This works too because they concentrate.
Peanut butter and sugar work the same way.

I like trying to touch the nose with the tongue as a remedy. I'm definitely
going to try that one.

I always thought the reason sugar and drinking water worked was because the
action of swallowing momentarily calmed the muscle enough to stop it from
twitching reflexively. How are hiccups a contraction of the diaphragm? I
always thought they occurred in the throat. At least that's what it feels
like!

Old October 10th 03, 02:00 AM
Circe

"Madolyn" ***spam*** wrote in message
"Circe" wrote in message
Any other similar remedies for hiccups (or ways to
prevent them) that anyone's willing to share?

Inhale, swallow, then exhale. Do this three times. It helps to swallow a
drink, but it's not totally necessary. Always works for me.

Hi Madolyn! Long time, no "see". How have you been?

Sounds like a great remedy, but I'm not sure Aurora would be able to follow
the instructions yet. She's *just* figuring out how to blow her nose!

Old October 10th 03, 02:48 AM
iphigenia

Circe wrote:

Breath-holding hasn't ever worked for either of my kids,
unfortunately.

I think it's that I'm not just not breathing - I take a deep breath and - I
really don't think I can explain this well - tense my chest and muscles in a
way that there's pressure on the diaphragm. Kinda like when you've got air
bubbles and are trying to make yourself burp.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old October 10th 03, 02:55 AM
just me

"iphigenia" wrote in message
I think it's that I'm not just not breathing - I take a deep breath and -

really don't think I can explain this well - tense my chest and muscles in

way that there's pressure on the diaphragm. Kinda like when you've got air
bubbles and are trying to make yourself burp.

That's right. Those of you who have played instruments requiring breath
control should be able to grab onto this method quickly because you don't
hold your breath, you do a very long slow deep breath pulling the air deeply
into your diaphram and just as slowly exhaling. This stops the hiccough
nearly every single time I do it.

-Aula

Old October 10th 03, 04:09 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Clisby wrote:

Sophie wrote:

I drink from the other side of the glass. I don't know if you can get
Aurora to do that though.

That's what I do - but I don't think I learned how to do that until I
was at least 6 years old.

I drink water with my ears plugged. Works like a
charm, but it's a bit challenging to do. I can do it
alone by plugging my ears with my thumbs and holding a
Dixie cup with my pinkies. For my kids, I just give
them a cup of water and *I* plug their ears. Works
like a charm every time (at least for us--anyone else
tried it?)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old October 10th 03, 01:58 PM
jojo

"Circe" wrote in message
"jojo" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

http://kidshealth.org/kid/talk/qa/hiccup.html

This explains how the contraction the diaphragm forces air through the voice
box
causing the hiccup sensation.

jojo

Maine foster p. pens 2 books horrors DHS, ME Fern5827 General 0 September 10th 03 01:49 PM
child care user General 38 September 9th 03 04:01 PM
New common sense child-rearing book Kent General 6 September 3rd 03 12:00 PM
DCF CT monitor finds kids *worsen* while in state custody Kane General 8 August 13th 03 07:43 AM