DNA result question

Old October 16th 03, 06:39 AM

Default DNA result question

When a man has a DNA test done to establish or disprove paternaty, does a
copy of his DNA pattern get entered into a national database of any type?
The reason I ask is, I went though a paternaty test and when I recieved the
results of the test, there was a paragraph that explained that my DNA
profile was compared to that of a random male of the same race "on file".
To me, this means that without my concent, my dna profile was infact put
into some type of national database. Is this legal? If it is on a nat'l
database, can it be removed?

Old October 16th 03, 08:15 AM
Melvin Gamble

Assuming that the sentence you posted was an accurate copy of what was
in the paragraph, and that what was in the paragraph was a
grammatically-correct representation of the facts (no longer a sure
thing in this country)...it was telling you that they have a profile of
a random male of the same race on file, NOT YOURS.

I know nothing of how genetic testing is carried out, so I have no clue
as to why such a comparison was made. It may have been to verify that
your sample came from a (your race) male. Maybe that was necessary as a
starting point for the rest of the test...

Mel Gamble

Old October 23rd 03, 10:36 PM