Co sleeping, colder temps, drafty house

Old October 15th 06, 03:07 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Default Co sleeping, colder temps, drafty house

How warm do you keep your house?
How do you bundle up your kid?
DO you have any issues once you start using big duvets?

We live in South Texas, so it's not like we'll have subzero temps to
worry about, but it does get cold from time to time, and dips below
freezing. We do have central heat, but our house is old and drafty -
pier and beam foundation w/no skirting at the moment which means all
that's between us and the elements is a thin layer of wood floors.
Walls are insulated and windows restored, but that means single pane
and not perfectly sealed. 12 ft ceilings are great in summer (which is
not quite over yet!), not so good in winter. On our first big freeze
last December the temp inside never got above 64F. Not a big deal
snuggled up in our duvets, but what about DD?

We've done a lot to improve insulation since last winter, but it's not
perfect yet. Do we just get one of those polar snowsuits to bundle her
for sleep? Swaddle her with thick blankets? I confess I use a blanket
with her now, I just tuck it around her body but not her arms so she's
not swaddled. I know blankets are a no-no but this has worked, only now
I'm getting a little nervous about that.

About swaddling - how long does one do it? We finally got it to work
for a couple of weeks, then stopped, She doesn't need it now (she's
3.5months). She doesn't roll over yet but she moves so much I'm
paranoid she'll flip over and not be able to get back if she's all
swaddled.

And we co sleep. Hasn't been an issue yet since I've been sleeping with
a very thin blanket (not much thicker than a sheet), but once I use the
big fluffy duvet, how do I keep it off of her? She always scoots
towards me. Do I just not use it? (DH has been using his all along, but
he keeps it close to him and as long as I'm there, she doesn't scoot to
him in her sleep, just me.

She's still nursing all night so I want to keep her in bed with us,
though even if we moved her we'd still have the cold issue. I know this
probably sounds incredibly stupid, but am just wondering how people
deal?

Old October 15th 06, 07:54 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

cjra wrote:

How warm do you keep your house?
How do you bundle up your kid?
DO you have any issues once you start using big duvets?

Rocky is now 16 months old. Since birth, I've
had him in bed with me with blankets and pillows
all around... That was the only way I did not
worry about his temp and I could sleep through
the night.

-- Anita --
Old October 15th 06, 09:33 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article m,
"cjra" wrote:

How warm do you keep your house?
How do you bundle up your kid?
DO you have any issues once you start using big duvets?

In Sydney, we don't have much of a problem with low temps ;-) In winter, we
might have a few nights that get down to 0 C (32 F). Not sure how this
compares with South Texas.

On cold nights, we turn on a small electric fan heater in our bedroom when we
put DS2 to bed, then turn it off when we go to bed. DS2 hates bed-coverings
and wriggles out of them, so warm pyjamas are a must. When he wakes up for
his next feed, he comes in with us. We use a duvet and DS2 sleeps between us
and between our pillows, so he is mostly above the duvet. It is known that a
mother's body temperature will regulate to ensure that her baby next to her
will not be too hot/cold.

I know blankets are a no-no but this has worked, only now
I'm getting a little nervous about that.

Surprised to see this -- here, duvets are the no-no. The issue is that the
child's face can sink into them. The theory is that this causes a pooling of
carbon dioxide around the face, and in vulnerable babies this leads to SIDS.
A well-made woollen blanket should not cause this problem (look for Australian
merino blankets ;-)).

About swaddling - how long does one do it?

As long as it's helpful. Some babies like to be swaddled for sleep, because
it reminds them of the womb. Other babies dislike it.

3.5months). She doesn't roll over yet but she moves so much I'm
paranoid she'll flip over and not be able to get back if she's all
swaddled.

If she's swaddled, she won't be able to roll over! If she can roll over, the
swaddling is loose enough for her to go back the other way. SIDS is mainly a
problem in very young babies; once they can roll over they are far less likely
to get it.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old October 15th 06, 03:19 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Chookie wrote:
In article m,
"cjra" wrote:

How warm do you keep your house?
How do you bundle up your kid?
DO you have any issues once you start using big duvets?

In Sydney, we don't have much of a problem with low temps ;-) In winter, we
might have a few nights that get down to 0 C (32 F). Not sure how this
compares with South Texas.

Similar climate. We get freezing a few times/winter. But our summer
(80F+) has lasted since April til this week. And it's usually closer to
100F (38/39C) most days. The nights have finally started to cool off
tho.

On cold nights, we turn on a small electric fan heater in our bedroom when we
put DS2 to bed, then turn it off when we go to bed. DS2 hates bed-coverings
and wriggles out of them, so warm pyjamas are a must. When he wakes up for
his next feed, he comes in with us. We use a duvet and DS2 sleeps between us
and between our pillows, so he is mostly above the duvet. It is known that a
mother's body temperature will regulate to ensure that her baby next to her
will not be too hot/cold.

Hmmm. good idea.I'm going to have to see how this can work. See, we
sleep with separate blankets./duvets because DH needs loads more
blankets than I do. So we each have a duvet, then he piles on more
layers.

I know blankets are a no-no but this has worked, only now
I'm getting a little nervous about that.

Surprised to see this -- here, duvets are the no-no. The issue is that the
child's face can sink into them. The theory is that this causes a pooling of
carbon dioxide around the face, and in vulnerable babies this leads to SIDS.
A well-made woollen blanket should not cause this problem (look for Australian
merino blankets ;-)).

I think duvets are bad too, for the reason you describe. Any loose
bedding is a no-no.

About swaddling - how long does one do it?

As long as it's helpful. Some babies like to be swaddled for sleep, because
it reminds them of the womb. Other babies dislike it.

yeah, she hated it at first, then about wk 8 we tried it again because
she was flailing all around and after awhile it worked. But now she
sleeps well and doesn't need it - or like it.

3.5months). She doesn't roll over yet but she moves so much I'm
paranoid she'll flip over and not be able to get back if she's all
swaddled.

If she's swaddled, she won't be able to roll over! If she can roll over, the
swaddling is loose enough for her to go back the other way.

good point.

Old October 15th 06, 04:39 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
determined

"cjra" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

We have a 1926 home with inadequate insulation and heating. We bought a
radiant oil portable heater, which puts out a gentle and safe heat (no hot
parts to get burned on) warmed the room up to 70, and then turned it down
for the evening and let it just kind of idle through the night. It stayed
cozy even on sub-freezing nights.

Old October 16th 06, 02:17 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

We've done a lot to improve insulation since last winter, but it's not
perfect yet. Do we just get one of those polar snowsuits to bundle her
for sleep? Swaddle her with thick blankets? I confess I use a blanket
with her now, I just tuck it around her body but not her arms so she's
not swaddled. I know blankets are a no-no but this has worked, only now
I'm getting a little nervous about that.

I've never heard of blankets as a no no, I thought it was duvets and pillows
that are a no no and sheets and blankets that are recommended.

You have in one of those cocoon type cosleepers, I think? so you can keep
her up at the pillow end away from the duvet, though you might have to
consider each using a single duvet (to be honest, with a baby in the middle
of you, you might need to do that anyway, regardless of any concerns about
the safety of the baby), then just uses what she needs, tucked in as well as
possible. You can always increase the layers she is wearing, I would not go
for a snowsuit, but you can put a onsie on under a sleepsuit. A hat can also
help keep them warm.

Remember the danger with babies is getting them too hot, not getting them
too cold, cold and wet is quite different to just cold and as long as they
are not waking because of the cold, then they are fine. Both our kids were
born similar time of year to A, so by the time it was cold even if they
weren't rolling (both were slow), they were at least wriggling and moving
their heads, which makes things less of a concern than with a newborn that
has no movement control. We had some slightly thicker sleepsuits that they
used at that time of year and we went with 2 sheets/blankets rather than 1,
both only had 1 or 2 incidents of waking due to cold and I doubt in the
middle of the night our house was any warmer that yours, probably cooler, we
always have the heating off for a few hours overnight.

Cheers

Anne

Old October 16th 06, 02:22 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Surprised to see this -- here, duvets are the no-no. The issue is that
the
child's face can sink into them. The theory is that this causes a
pooling of
carbon dioxide around the face, and in vulnerable babies this leads to
SIDS.
A well-made woollen blanket should not cause this problem (look for
Australian
merino blankets ;-)).

I think duvets are bad too, for the reason you describe. Any loose
bedding is a no-no.

surprised to see this, where is it you've got your information from? it
seems that what chookie has seen in Aus is the same as what I've been told
in the UK, I know different recommendations are given in different places,
but I suspect I know enough americans with babies to have picked up on this
difference, but I've not heard of it. If loose bedding is a no no, then what
on earth do you use, does everyone use baby sleeping bags? I realise hotels
and what not would probably not stick by recommendations and just leave it
to parents, but daycares I would expect would be regulated to stick to such
advice, yet the daycare we've just signed Ada into specifically requests
sheets and blankets be provided for nap time, so I'm a bit confused.

Cheers

Anne

Old October 16th 06, 03:08 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Anne Rogers wrote:
[...]

I know I've read it in quite a few books, but I can't tell you which
now. How old is Ada? I think the recommendation is for new babies.
Maybe til 6 months?

Old October 16th 06, 03:15 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Anne Rogers wrote:
We've done a lot to improve insulation since last winter, but it's not
perfect yet. Do we just get one of those polar snowsuits to bundle her
for sleep? Swaddle her with thick blankets? I confess I use a blanket
with her now, I just tuck it around her body but not her arms so she's
not swaddled. I know blankets are a no-no but this has worked, only now
I'm getting a little nervous about that.

I've never heard of blankets as a no no, I thought it was duvets and pillows
that are a no no and sheets and blankets that are recommended.

You have in one of those cocoon type cosleepers, I think?

Not anymore. She outgrew it. Tho I took the end off so we can still use
it, it's easier to have her directly on the bed now. It was great to
use it at first while we got used to sleeping with her, but now we're
both very comfortable with that.

so you can keep
her up at the pillow end away from the duvet, though you might have to
consider each using a single duvet (to be honest, with a baby in the middle
of you, you might need to do that anyway, regardless of any concerns about
the safety of the baby),

That's what we do now, only because DH has much different needs than I
in terms of coverings! He uses his duvet all year, for example, while I
use a very thin sheet-type blanket.

then just uses what she needs, tucked in as well as
possible. You can always increase the layers she is wearing, I would not go
for a snowsuit, but you can put a onsie on under a sleepsuit. A hat can also
help keep them warm.

I guess I was concerned about the layers not being sufficient, since I
can tell if we're warm enough, but we're using duvets.

Remember the danger with babies is getting them too hot, not getting them
too cold, cold and wet is quite different to just cold and as long as they
are not waking because of the cold, then they are fine. Both our kids were
born similar time of year to A, so by the time it was cold even if they
weren't rolling (both were slow), they were at least wriggling and moving
their heads, which makes things less of a concern than with a newborn that
has no movement control. We had some slightly thicker sleepsuits that they
used at that time of year and we went with 2 sheets/blankets rather than 1,
both only had 1 or 2 incidents of waking due to cold and I doubt in the
middle of the night our house was any warmer that yours, probably cooler, we
always have the heating off for a few hours overnight.

The issue we have is that it is impossible to keep this house warm in
the winter. We do have central heat,but until we insulate the floors
and finish insulating the windows, it's *very* drafty. Fortunately it's
not often an issue.
Well, we may have a bit longer before we need to worry....we had a
brief cold spell the other night, cold enough for me to get my duvet,
and this weekend was back to 80s+F and humid as can be.

Old October 16th 06, 05:57 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

[...]

she's 16 months, but it was phrase as instructions for parents who had had
children in the infant group, sort of just as before, please provide...

I googled it and only came up with one reference that suggested avoiding
blankets, though many places did say light blanket, and exclude heavy
blankets. Even the one that said avoid, said it was ok tucked in with baby
feet up to the end of the cot, which I can see then does raise an issue with
cosleeping babies, because they don't have their feet against anything. Do
you have one of those baby sleeping bags? sounds like that may be a good
idea, you can always put a cardigan and mitts on if they are needed as well.
It seems that most peoples idea of a blanket for a baby is one of those
cellular blankets with lots of holes in, I'd expect that even if that did
end up over a head that breathing would be fine and it wouldn't trap carbon
dioxide like a pillow or duvet would.

Cheers

Anne