Alarm Clock for four year old

Old October 23rd 06, 11:19 PM posted to misc.kids
bluetreetop

Default Alarm Clock for four year old

We need her to get up with less protest when it's a nursery (preschool) day
and to lie in more willingly when not. Needs to be fun for her so that she
buys in to the idea.

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks.

BT

Old October 24th 06, 12:31 AM posted to misc.kids
KR

I would put her to bed earlier, but that's just me!

I make waking my 3 year old up a game, if I go in and she's asleep I
say, "what is that big bump in the bed?" I pretend to lie down and go
to sleep, tossing and turning, snoring. She thinks it's very funny!
Then I leave her to go get the baby ready and by the time I'm finished
that she's up and happy! She was always very crqnky about being woke
up. She only sleeps for about 30 minutes later on weekends.

If you're still looking for alarm clocks, they have character ones that
might work. Somebody gave my daugther a Dora one that can be set to
say all kinds of Dora phrases rather then beep. We just don't use it
at this point.

KR

Old October 24th 06, 12:43 AM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

"bluetreetop" wrote in message
. uk...
We need her to get up with less protest when it's a nursery (preschool)
day
and to lie in more willingly when not. Needs to be fun for her so that
she
buys in to the idea.

Any suggestions, please?

She protests because she is still tired.

I would put her to bed earlier. But, I would get her up at the same time
*every* day. If she gets up at the same time each day, there will be far
less protests. And getting up at different times leads to less efficient
sleep.

Jeff

Thanks.

BT

Old October 24th 06, 12:55 AM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

bluetreetop wrote:
We need her to get up with less protest when it's a nursery (preschool) day
and to lie in more willingly when not. Needs to be fun for her so that she
buys in to the idea.

Any suggestions, please?

Sorry, I think you're bucking for trouble if
you think a 4yo is going to get up early some days and
sleep in others for your convenience. I think you'll be
far, far better off if you establish a routine wake time,
and then you'll have to live with it. Younger kids tend
to be up when they're up and are pretty unlikely to roll
over and go back to sleep.
If establishing a consistent bed- and wake-time
schedule doesn't work, you might consider one of those
alarms that have a daylight lamp attached that gradually
brightens the room. Little kids seem to respond very well
to daylight. Also, make sure you're putting her to bed
early enough. Different kids need different amounts of
sleep, but it's not unusual for a 4yo to need even 11 or
more hours of sleep, especially if there's no afternoon
nap. If she's chronically sleep-deprived, there's nothing
that will really make morning easy.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old October 24th 06, 01:16 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
. ..
bluetreetop wrote:
We need her to get up with less protest when it's a nursery (preschool)
day
and to lie in more willingly when not. Needs to be fun for her so that
she
buys in to the idea.

Any suggestions, please?

Sorry, I think you're bucking for trouble if
you think a 4yo is going to get up early some days and
sleep in others for your convenience. I think you'll be
far, far better off if you establish a routine wake time,
and then you'll have to live with it. Younger kids tend
to be up when they're up and are pretty unlikely to roll
over and go back to sleep.

And I find that as an adult, the rolling over and going back to sleep does
nothing but make me feel less rested. I need to get up when I'm up.

Old October 24th 06, 04:18 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

bluetreetop wrote:
We need her to get up with less protest when it's a nursery (preschool)
day
and to lie in more willingly when not. Needs to be fun for her so that
she
buys in to the idea.

Any suggestions, please?

Sorry, I think you're bucking for trouble if
you think a 4yo is going to get up early some days and
sleep in others for your convenience. I think you'll be
far, far better off if you establish a routine wake time,
and then you'll have to live with it. Younger kids tend
to be up when they're up and are pretty unlikely to roll
over and go back to sleep.

Does depend on your child. #1 would roll over and go back to sleep if no one
else was up from before she was 3yo. She was about that age when we put a
digital clock in her room and she knew that if it was a pre-school day then
she had to get up by 8:30 (at first she was likely to get up at 3:08, 8:03
etc.!) but other days she could lie in if she wanted to.
#2 otoh won't stay in bed more than 2 minutes after she's woken even if
she's still really tired. But she will ask to go to bed early if she's
tired, which #1 wouldn't have ever done.
Debbie

Old October 24th 06, 04:41 PM posted to misc.kids
KidFaves

We've used a clock radio with a CD player and let our son pick the CD
before he goes to bed at night. Somehow that increases his motivation.
He's pretty good about getting up anyway, but he likes it when he
wakes to music he picked the night before.

He always picks from the CDs with active music. I suppose you could
pick calmer CDs for the non-nursery days. I've always targeted the
same wake-up time every day...makes it easier, even if that means I
have to wake up a little early on a Saturday.

Doug
http://www.kidfaves.com