Hot wheels or similar for 2 yr old

Old December 8th 06, 02:05 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

Default Hot wheels or similar for 2 yr old

Hi all,

The recommended age for Hot Wheels is 3+. However, our 25 month old
loves playing with them at his cousins houses and to date has 2 cars at
home that he drives in and our of his lego garages etc.

Does anyone know of a similar type of car/track set that is available
for younger than 3 year olds? I'm looking for gift recommendations
for 2 sets of grandparents and I thought something like a "Hot wheels
set" might be a good idea.

Thanks!

Kevin

Old December 8th 06, 03:15 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

The recommended age for Hot Wheels is 3+. However, our 25 month old
loves playing with them at his cousins houses and to date has 2 cars at
home that he drives in and our of his lego garages etc.

Legos have small peices that he can swallow and get stuck in his throat. So
do Hot Wheel and similar cars.

Does anyone know of a similar type of car/track set that is available
for younger than 3 year olds?

There aren't any. They all have small peices that can break off.

Old December 8th 06, 04:01 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

There is a Fisher-price "Toddlerz" set which has several cars, ramps, etc
that go quite fast, yet are toddler safe. It's a favorite in my ASL classes
when we're working on transportation words. There's also a little people
garage with an elevator and two ramps and several cars, and many of the
little people sets have cars with them, but they don't seem to roll as well
as the "Toddlerz" ones.

And, honestly, you have to look at your child and the toy. A lot of the
things my 2 yr old really enjoys are labeled 3+, but really, if you look at
the pieces, often only 1-2 things in the whole set are too small (for
example, her play food/kitchen set. Once I removed the smaller items,
everything else easily passed the toilet tube test). The toy cars are
probably fine as long as the wheels aren't loose, so if he really enjoys
them, I'd say let him play with them, but only when you're there, and check
for loose parts before play.

Old December 8th 06, 04:41 PM posted to misc.kids
KR

The toilet tube test?? So if it fits through, it's too small?

Just wondering since I'm in the process of removing small items from my
3 year olds playroom. My 7 month old is showing signs of mobility and
my toddler can't seem to understand why the baby can't be around small
things and she refuses to keep her small toys confined to her room...

KR

Old December 8th 06, 04:57 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

snip

And, honestly, you have to look at your child and the toy. A lot of the
things my 2 yr old really enjoys are labeled 3+, but really, if you look at
the pieces, often only 1-2 things in the whole set are too small (for
example, her play food/kitchen set. Once I removed the smaller items,
everything else easily passed the toilet tube test). The toy cars are
probably fine as long as the wheels aren't loose, so if he really enjoys
them, I'd say let him play with them, but only when you're there, and check
for loose parts before play.

snip
I agree with this. When my 3 year old was 2 she was a lot more matured
little kid. Now my 2 year old is a very naughty one. She puts things in
her mouth just to get a reaction out of me. She knows she's not
supposed to chew crayons and other things but she does it anyway. I
don't think I'll be giving her anything that cannot be trusted with her
even if she's as old enough as it says on the box.

Old December 8th 06, 07:22 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

wrote in message
oups.com...
snip

I agree with this. When my 3 year old was 2 she was a lot more matured
little kid. Now my 2 year old is a very naughty one. She puts things in
her mouth just to get a reaction out of me. She knows she's not
supposed to chew crayons and other things but she does it anyway. I
don't think I'll be giving her anything that cannot be trusted with her
even if she's as old enough as it says on the box.

Why is the 2-year old less mature when she is naughty vs. being nice? I
would say the naughty one is mature. She is already testing your limits more
than a kid who is nice.

Anyway, that was just something that caught my eye.

You make a good point. Just because it says 3 years old on the box, that
doesn't mean that it is appropriate for every three-year old.

Jeff

Old December 8th 06, 10:23 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

"KR" wrote in message
ups.com...
The toilet tube test?? So if it fits through, it's too small?

Just wondering since I'm in the process of removing small items from my
3 year olds playroom. My 7 month old is showing signs of mobility and
my toddler can't seem to understand why the baby can't be around small
things and she refuses to keep her small toys confined to her room...

The choke tubes are actually a little smaller than a toilet paper roll, so a
toilet paper or paper towel roll is a bit more conservative than the
"official" test-but is much more readily available in the average home.

KR