midwife appointment today

Old December 10th 08, 02:06 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Default midwife appointment today

I'd been looking forward to this one, though anxious too as at 13+2, we
hoped to hear the heartbeat - I'd been a bit paranoid in the last couple
of weeks, but more relaxed in the last couple of days as I did seem to
pop a little bit - not the type of popping that anyone else would
notice, but when naked much more bump looking than just a bit chubby!

So we heard it, it was a student that did it and I think she held the
doppler there for a bit too long, once we'd heard it there was no need
to hold it there as long as she did, however I'll comfort myself that
though it's a greater dose than an ultrasound, a first trimester
ultrasound would have taken longer!

By the next appointment I suspect I'll be feeling movements, so I'll ask
if the doppler is really necessary.

We quizzed a bit more about backup for delivery and our concerns about
travelling to Valley Medical Centre and also our concerns about if it
ends up being a c-section having the best one possible. Her opinion was
that we have a much better chance of getting what we want if it's a
known doctor and one who is happy dealing with midwives, I do see her
point, though it doesn't quite fit my mentality of wanting to have
everything sorted and feeling happy with that option if we decide to
take it. However I think I will just have to change my accepted
boundaries as to where my control ends.

I was joking with my husband that I'll have to try the journey at a few
different times of day so I can feel confident that it wouldn't be a
horrific commute if the baby had to stay in and I was discharged and
that it wouldn't be terrible for him if I was in for a few days - which
really translates to worse for me as it would cut into the time he could
spend with me and this particularly bothers me as the day after our DS
was born he didn't get to the hospital until really late, in part
because he got home so late and was sleeping and in part because it did
take him so long to get there including running errands on the way and I
was feeling pretty bad, but not needing anything specific, so I couldn't
really ask for help.

I've settled on planning to have the baby at home, but have mentioned
that if we can't get the pool filled up quickly that I might go into the
birth center, which is a 2min drive for us and therefore barely any
different for the midwife.

I also discussed what they would do if PROM happened, she said they sit
on their hands and wait and might start trying some herbal things after
24-48 hours. I also asked about getting to 42 weeks and that is slightly
more tricky because of dealing with doctors if you need tests, or do
eventually have to go in, apparently it's also tricky with insurance,
I'm not too worried about that though, never got anywhere near it before!

Cheers
Anne