Hot tubs and pregnancy

Old May 11th 04, 09:11 PM
Shannon

Default Hot tubs and pregnancy

I'm not yet pregnant but my husband and I are planning a nice night
away and I'm looking at hotel rooms etc. I would LOVE to upgrade to a
jacuzzi suite but I don't want to spend the extra money if I turn out
to be pregnant and can't use it. Are there general rules to go by when
using hot tubs...ie certain amount of time or temperature?

I'm thinking as long as the water is not too hot it should be fine
right? Or is it best just to avoid it altogether?

--
Shannon

Please remove -NO SPAM from email address to email me personally.

Old May 11th 04, 09:39 PM
Tori M.

I am not positive so you should look it up on a good baby site but I am
thinking i read that it is ok to use a hot tub as long as you dont let your
body temp get over a certain temp, I am not sure what the temp is but I
think it is 100 maybe 105. I read that women are better then men at judging
this but since I LOVE almost scalding hot baths I would not risk using a hot
tub.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Old May 12th 04, 05:01 AM
Leinweber

I love taking *hot* baths. What my doctor told me is that you don't want a
sudden change in your body temperature. I love jacuzzi suites too and I
would personally still get one, but don't let the water get too hot. We
take warm/hot showers still, don't we? And if you're still cautious, don't
stay in very long.

Have fun
: ) D

Old May 12th 04, 03:11 PM
Elitsirk

Shannon wrote in message news:2004051116115327544%shannonNOSPAM@sdf1net.. .
I'm not yet pregnant but my husband and I are planning a nice night
away and I'm looking at hotel rooms etc. I would LOVE to upgrade to a
jacuzzi suite but I don't want to spend the extra money if I turn out
to be pregnant and can't use it. Are there general rules to go by when
using hot tubs...ie certain amount of time or temperature?

I'm thinking as long as the water is not too hot it should be fine
right? Or is it best just to avoid it altogether?

Are you talking about a jacuzzi-type bathtub in the room, or an actual
hot tub where they dump a ton of chlorine in and turn the temperature
way up?

Dh and I have a whirlpool-style bathtub in our bathroom, which we try
to enjoy as much as possible (which isn't often enough). We control
the temperature of the water that we pour in, and can add cooler water
if it's too hot (we generally have the opposite problem since our tub
is oversized and tends to drain the water heater). I can't really
stand very hot baths normally, so I tend to get out if I start feeling
too warm (or add extra cold water to the tub). Our tub doesn't have
any extra heater or anything--it's basically just a big bathtub with
the jets that blow air into the tub making bubbles, and I've never
read that it's dangerous to bathe while pregnant...

I would be very careful if you're talking about a hot tub that you
don't fill yourself or control the temperature of--what I've read is
that you don't want your internal body temperature getting too high
(over 100 or 101) because it can harm the baby's development, the same
as having a fever can.

I"ve been a bit worried about this subject too, since DH and I are
leaving in a couple of weeks on a vacation with 3 other couples. We
booked the vacation before we found out I was pregnant, and the room
that we have apparently has an actual hot tub in it (not just a
jacuzzi-style bathtub)--we didn't realize that at the time it was
booked (thought it said jacuzzi bathtub), so now I'm not sure I can
get in or not. If we can control the temperature, I can. If not,
well, DH and the other 6 can all hang out in there if they want to

Have fun!
--Elit.
#1 due 9/20/2004
Old May 12th 04, 03:56 PM
Shannon

#1 due 9/20/2004

Thanks for your reply. This is just a tub that we can fill ourselves
so I can control the temperature. I will just keep it lower that
usual. I love really hot baths but I just don't think that I can just
look at the tub and never use it. I"ll just be careful and have a
'warm' bath.