Rhythm Method question (x-posted mkp/mkb)

Old February 1st 04, 06:23 AM
CY

Default Rhythm Method question (x-posted mkp/mkb)

I am breastfeeding my almost 2 yr old daughter (though, obviously, by now
she's not exclusively bf'd) and I have a quick question for those of you who
are more familiar with the Rhythm Method of Birth Control than I probably
am!

AFAIK, you can conceive for only 72 hours per month. Usually around day
14ish. I pretty much have perfect 28 day cycles. I have short periods
also. On day 4 DH and I had unprotected intercourse (not trying to get pg
yet). This is unlikely to make me pg, right? It seems pretty unlikely to
me, but I am not BBT'ing ATM and either abstain or use a diaphragm during
days 9-16. Does this sound about right to you?

Sorry if this is TMI!

TIA!
CY

Old February 1st 04, 10:19 AM
Cheryl

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 23:23:47 -0700, "CY"
wrote:

I am breastfeeding my almost 2 yr old daughter (though, obviously, by now
she's not exclusively bf'd) and I have a quick question for those of you who
are more familiar with the Rhythm Method of Birth Control than I probably
am!

AFAIK, you can conceive for only 72 hours per month. Usually around day
14ish. I pretty much have perfect 28 day cycles. I have short periods
also. On day 4 DH and I had unprotected intercourse (not trying to get pg
yet). This is unlikely to make me pg, right? It seems pretty unlikely to
me, but I am not BBT'ing ATM and either abstain or use a diaphragm during
days 9-16. Does this sound about right to you?

Depending on your fertile fluid/mucous it's actually more like 6 days,
starting about day 10 and finishing about day 15 (given the "perfect"
cycle). Day 4 should be fine if you aren't showing any signs of
fertile fluid (ie any cervical fluid at all) and then again once the
cervical fluid dries up after ovulation. It's better to use more than
one sign of ovulation if you are trying to avoid pregnancy and
temperature charting only tells you for sure when you have ovulated,
not when you are going to. Given that you are using a diaphragm you
would be better off using it from the time your period finishes
through until about day 16 rather than just starting at day 9 in case
one cycle has an early ovulation.

--
Cheryl
Mum to DS#1 (11 Mar 99), DS#2 (4 Oct 00)
Old February 1st 04, 06:41 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

CY wrote:

I pretty much have perfect 28 day cycles.

To add to what Cheryl said, you could easily be ovulating on cd10 or on
cd20 and still have perfect 28 day cycles. If you aren't tracking any
fertility signs (BBT or cm or OPKs etc.), assuming that you're only
fertile from cd9 to cd16 is risky.

Phoebe

Old February 2nd 04, 06:16 PM
Michelle J. Haines

In article PX0Tb.16051$tP1.8032@fed1read07,
says...
I am breastfeeding my almost 2 yr old daughter (though, obviously, by now
she's not exclusively bf'd) and I have a quick question for those of you who
are more familiar with the Rhythm Method of Birth Control than I probably
am!

If you're referring to Calendar Rhythm, I don't know anyone who uses
or espouses using it any more, although there are always exception.

AFAIK, you can conceive for only 72 hours per month. Usually around day
14ish.

No. No. No.

There is an approximately 10 day window in which conception is
possible, due to extended sperm life and releasing more than one egg
during ovulation, etc. Ovulation occurs 12-16 days BEFORE
MENSTRUATION, not on Day 14 of the cycle, even if the two happen to
coincide.

I pretty much have perfect 28 day cycles. I have short periods
also. On day 4 DH and I had unprotected intercourse (not trying to get pg
yet). This is unlikely to make me pg, right? It seems pretty unlikely to
me, but I am not BBT'ing ATM and either abstain or use a diaphragm during
days 9-16. Does this sound about right to you?

Without seeing a chart, I can't give a reliable opinion.

Remember, that without some indication of ovulation (best one is a
temperature rise), you can't assume bleeding is menstruation.

Michelle
Flutist

--
Drift on a river, That flows through my arms
Drift as I'm singing to you
Old February 2nd 04, 06:58 PM
Leslie

If you're referring to Calendar Rhythm, I don't know anyone who uses
or espouses using it any more, although there are always exception.

Actually, while doing research recently for a column on NFP, I found that
calendar rhythm (albeit improved since the old days) is still in use. I read
one study of its use in a third world country with a nonliterate population.
They use a necklace to keep track of the days. A similar necklace (cyclebeads)
is marketed online for use in the Western World. I'm not saying I recommend
this as effective family planning, but it is out there. And the stats for the
study were not too bad. If it were me, though, I would at least add mucus
observation (all I do myself anyway) to the mix. It's not that hard, you know?

Leslie

Rhythm Method question (x-posted mkp/mkb) CY Pregnancy 4 February 2nd 04 06:16 PM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM