Books in verse for 2.5yo

Old October 10th 03, 05:20 PM
Robyn Kozierok

Default Books in verse for 2.5yo

I've added rec.arts.books.children, at Peggy's suggestion. For their
benefit, the request was for recommendations of great rhyming picture
books for a 2.5yo boy. (I'm not at the moment looking for books of
poems for children, or recommendations of adult poetry he might enjoy.)
This is crossposted to misc.kids.moderated -- feel free to adjust the
newsgroups line when you post according to your own comfort. I'll check
both groups.

Some of the suggestions so far (this only includes the ones we haven't
yet read, so if I left yours off, that's probably why) a

"Nicholas Cricket" by Joyce Maxner published by Harper Collins
'How Many Trucks Can a Tow Truck Tow' by Charlotte Pomerantz illustrated
by R.W. Alley
"Quick As A Cricket" and "The Napping House" by (iirc) Audrey
and (???) Woods
the board book "Shoes" by Elizabeth Winthrop
Each Peach Pear Plum by Janet and Allan Ahlberg
A House Is a House for Me by Mary Ann Hoberman
Possum Com a-Knockin' by Nancy Van Laan
The Disappearing Alphabet by Richar Wilbur
The Happy Hippopotami by Bill Martin
"Zin Zin Violin"
Books by Lynley Dodd ... The Hairy Maclary and Slinky Malinki ones
should be available over there.
"Good Knight", by Linda Rymill
the Bruno series by Lars Klinting
"Halloween House" and "Big Pumpkin" by Erica Silverman
"Hippos Go Berzerk!" by Boynton
"Miss Spider's Tea Party" (and the other Miss Spider books)
"Red Caboose: A Little Lionel Book about Colors"

Thanks in advance for any additional suggestions you can offer!

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)

Old October 10th 03, 10:27 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
H Schinske wrote:
wrote:

I went to the library yesterday with the goal of picking up some
picture books for my 2.5yo that are written in rhyme. Not books of
poems, but books where the basic story is in rhyme (like Dr. Seuss). I
was surprised by how hard it was to find them

I haven't read the whole thread yet, so apologies if someone has suggested
this. The Library of Congress has started using some genre headings in the
subject fields for exactly this reason. At our library, you can search on
"stories in rhyme" as a subject and get some 1800 results. You can then limit
it to juvenile books (most of them will be), books in a particular branch, etc.

Our library *just* got computerized (we live in a rural area, our other
local library is still working on it) and they don't yet have computer card
catalog searches available to patrons, but I could ask the librarian to
try that. She did a manual version of this by looking it up in a physical
book that lists children's books by subject areas, but of course then had
to translate to what they had in the library....

Thanks for the idea,
--Robyn

Old October 12th 03, 05:54 AM
Cathy Kearns

The "Going to Bed Book" is in rhyme.
("And down once more, but not so fast, they're
on their way to bed at last....")
"Beeswing" wrote in message
I wrote:

If you haven't yet discovered the Sandra Boynton board books, you are in
for a treat. My daughter and my favorites were "Blue Hat, Green Hat" and
(especially) "But Not the Hippopotamus." Boynton's "Snoozers," which is
a songbook with a tape, is a kick, too. We also liked the board book
"Shoes" by Elizabeth Winthrop.

Well, I tried to correct this earlier but apparently the post didn't make

it
in. The Boynton books I've called out here are NOT rhyming books, but she

does
have several, and they are lots of fun. I'd give you some titles, but it

looks
like my husband has already removed them from my now-8-year-old's shelf.

"Shoes" *is* in rhyme, though, and is charming.

beeswing

Old October 28th 03, 04:08 PM
Jody L Kempf

: picture books for my 2.5yo that are written in rhyme. Not books of
: poems, but books where the basic story is in rhyme (like Dr. Seuss).

You may have already discovered them but here are some favorites from when
my 9 and 12 year olds were that age.

Jesse Bear books by Nancy Carlstrom
What can you do with a shoe by Beatrice de Regniers
Ride a Purple Pelican by Jack Prelutsky (It's poetry but short and written
for kids)

Have fun, I miss the days of reading picture books with my kids,

Jody

Old October 28th 03, 10:50 PM
Peggy Tatyana

"Jody L Kempf" wrote:

Have fun, I miss the days of reading picture books with my kids,

Don't know how old your kids are, but I still have fun reading to mine.
Right now we're working our way through a book called _Holder of Lightning_,
selected because my 14-year-old loved it. I know it's hard to work stuff
like this into a busy schedule (we can do it more easily because we
homeschool) but it's really rewarding, and you can introduce kids to books
they wouldn't tackle on their own. Our all-time favorites have been
_Huckleberry Finn_ and (I was astonished!) _Don Quixote_. There are a lot of
reasons to keep reading to kids who know how to read on their own -- not the
least being modelling a love for reading.

Peggy

Old October 28th 03, 11:34 PM
Louise

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:50:39 EST, "Peggy Tatyana"
wrote:

"Jody L Kempf" wrote:

Have fun, I miss the days of reading picture books with my kids,

Don't know how old your kids are, but I still have fun reading to mine.
Right now we're working our way through a book called _Holder of Lightning_,
selected because my 14-year-old loved it. I know it's hard to work stuff
like this into a busy schedule (we can do it more easily because we
homeschool) but it's really rewarding, and you can introduce kids to books
they wouldn't tackle on their own. Our all-time favorites have been
_Huckleberry Finn_ and (I was astonished!) _Don Quixote_. There are a lot of
reasons to keep reading to kids who know how to read on their own -- not the
least being modelling a love for reading.

Reading aloud as an older family works particularly well in novel
situations when the usual distractions aren't around - in the car,
when camping, when the power goes out, in a hotel room, etc.

We also sometimes read scenes from the Shakespeare that's been
assigned for school, taking the parts in turn.

Louise

Old October 29th 03, 11:21 AM
Kevin Karplus

In article , Jody L Kempf wrote:
Have fun, I miss the days of reading picture books with my kids,

When my son was between 3 and 5, I read to him every night---it was an
essential part of the bedtime ritual. I don't often get to read to my
7-year-old any more---he wants to read for himself, since that's
faster than reading aloud. Sometimes I get to read him the first
chapter of a book that he then takes out of my hands to go curl up
with. I do manage to sneak in some reading aloud---like when I find
something interesting in the newspaper and read it to the family at
dinner. That doesn't happen very often though.

The best way to model a love for reading is to read yourself, whether
aloud or silently.

--
Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Professor of Computer Engineering, University of California, Santa Cruz

Old November 3rd 03, 04:47 PM
Beeswing

"Robyn Kozierok" wrote in message

I went to the library yesterday with the goal of picking up some
picture books for my 2.5yo that are written in rhyme. Not books of
poems, but books where the basic story is in rhyme (like Dr. Seuss).

was surprised by how hard it was to find them by just pulling
likely-looking picture books off the shelf. The librarian was helpful
and we ended up with a decent stack, but I'd love some more
suggestions. Evan really seems to like listening to stories that
have that rhythm and rhyme to them.

Thanks in advance!

Following up on myself, the Boynton books I mentioned that we especially
liked *aren't* in verse, now that I think about it. But many of her
books are. "Shoes" is in verse.

beeswing