13 weeks and anxious

Old May 11th 04, 01:32 PM
Steve & Erin

Default 13 weeks and anxious

Hi,

I am 13w2d along and getting very anxious about my amnio. I am 39, so we
feel strongly we need to know if there are any abnormalities. I am getting
so nervous, I can barely sleep. The worst part is we have to wait 10 days
for the results. The amnio is scheduled for 6/1, so the results should be
coming in right around my birthday. Hopefully it will be a happy one..

Just ranting-
Erin

Old May 11th 04, 08:42 PM
Marion

"Steve & Erin" wrote in message news:aJ3oc.26431$iF6.2710992@attbi_s02...
Hi,

I am 13w2d along and getting very anxious about my amnio. I am 39, so we
feel strongly we need to know if there are any abnormalities. I am getting
so nervous, I can barely sleep. The worst part is we have to wait 10 days
for the results. The amnio is scheduled for 6/1, so the results should be
coming in right around my birthday. Hopefully it will be a happy one..

Just ranting-
Erin

Any chance you could ask for a nuchal translucency scan in conjunction
with an AFP assay to screen whether an amnio is necessary first?
They take the measurement of the fold of skin behind the neck and
several bones, use that info along with the AFP results and your age
to calculate a risk factor that reflects reality a bit closer than
assuming risk factor just based on age. Since it's non-invasive and
poses no risk to the fetus, seemed like a good idea to me. For me,
they determined that even though i'm 38, my baby is *not* at elevated
risk for genetic abnormalities... and didn't even recommend the amnio.

Marion
Old May 12th 04, 12:13 PM
Steve & Erin

We had decided to do the amnio long before I actually got pregnant. I have
had one m/c and two ectopic pg's in the last 2 years. We feel strongly that
we need to know that this one is okay. Our doc is very experienced and the
loss rate after amnio at this particular hospital is 1/1000.

It's always nice to hear when a 35+ girl has had a healthy baby!

Thanks for your reply-
Erin

Old May 12th 04, 12:47 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Steve & Erin wrote:

We had decided to do the amnio long before I actually got pregnant. I have
had one m/c and two ectopic pg's in the last 2 years. We feel strongly that
we need to know that this one is okay. Our doc is very experienced and the
loss rate after amnio at this particular hospital is 1/1000.

It's always nice to hear when a 35+ girl has had a healthy baby!

I understand that you want to know, but you do
realize that the *vast* majority fo women giving birth
over 35 do have perfectly normal, healthy babies, right?
It's not like this is a sucker's bet.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 12th 04, 12:47 PM
Sam

"Steve & Erin" wrote in message news:aJ3oc.26431$iF6.2710992@attbi_s02...
Hi,

I am 13w2d along and getting very anxious about my amnio. I am 39, so we
feel strongly we need to know if there are any abnormalities. I am getting
so nervous, I can barely sleep. The worst part is we have to wait 10 days
for the results. The amnio is scheduled for 6/1, so the results should be
coming in right around my birthday. Hopefully it will be a happy one..

Just ranting-
Erin

And the odds are overwhelming that your results *will* be a happy one.
I ended up waiting 14 days for my results, I found the first week
went by quickly and I was fine, but by week two I was climbing the
walls. I held out until day 14 when I finally called to calmly (ha,
ha) ask if they had anything yet. Getting the call back from them
that afternoon, saying all was well was so wonderful. Good luck to
you!

Samantha
Old May 12th 04, 07:55 PM
Tori M.

I am not older, not that I think 35+ is older mind you, but we have "some"
risk of downsyndrom as my husband had a D/S sister. Today the midwife
offered the AFT test and I decided not to have it done because we would not
change anything if the baby was D/S and we will be having a leval 2
ultrasound next month that she says is a little more accurate anyway... we
would turn down an amnio test because of the risk to the baby.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04