Wild critter/pet?

Old April 27th 04, 04:21 PM
dragonlady

Default Wild critter/pet?

I've never dealt with this before, and have no idea where else to go to
ask, so I'm asking here!

A baby squirrel seems to be doing it's best to adopt my 18 year old as
it's mommie. It came out last night and climbed onto the laptop (she'd
taken it outside to watch a DVD in relative coolness) then stayed with
her and her friend, eating a tangerine they fed it (off our tree) and
eventually falling asleep on the blanket they were sitting on. She
covered it with a corner of the blanket before she came in for the
night, and this morning it was still there. It likes to be petted, and
climbs onto her lap and snuggles in -- more friendly than my older
daughter's cat! I have no idea how old it is, except it is obviously
not yet fully grown -- this year's litter, in any event.

Other than being VERY VERY clear that squirrels are not house pets, is
there anything in particular I ought to be careful about? I don't think
I can assume that this one will go away; we have had lots of squirrels
in our back yard, so wherever its home is I'm sure it's close. Is
there any reason to discourage this friendship? (Other than that if her
big sister's cat gets out, I'm reasonably certain he will do his best to
make the squirrel's name "lunch"....)

Bemused by this . . . living in a big city, this is one I never expected
to deal with!

Old April 27th 04, 04:41 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

The biggest risk with squirrels, as with other rodents, is the diseases
they can carry. If this relationship continues, I'd call a vet for
advice. You might want to bring the squirrel in for a rabies shot.

Also, be SURE your child never touches it without scrubbing hands with
soap afterwards.

I don't know if squirrels bite. I'd be wary of that.

I think, in the end, I'd be uncomfortable with this relationship, but
consult with a vet and see how it goes.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Old April 27th 04, 05:48 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Beth Kevles wrote:
*
*I think, in the end, I'd be uncomfortable with this relationship, but
*consult with a vet and see how it goes.

I am not a wildlife expert, but I have a special interest in zoonoses and
can talk a little bit about those which may be carried or vectored by
squirrels. It will depend greatly on the geographic location, but, in
general:

1. Because Beth brings it up -- rabies can occur in rodents, but would be
considered rare. It is so rare in rodents that for example the State of
Florida, which has a big rabies epizootic, the state will not perform
testing of squirrels which bite humans because they consider the risk so
low. I do not believe there is a rabies vaccine licensed for use in
squirrels, and I have no knowledge of using the available vaccines in an
extralabel fashion in the squirrel. A wildlife person would know this.

2. Yersinia pestis (plague, black death, etc). This is carried by fleas,
actually, which may be present on the squirrel. In the western US states
(and in other areas) this is a particular problem.

3. Various rodent viruses - most of these are generally more a problem
when you come into contact with aerosolized urine/feces than the actual
animal.

4. Tularemia - more often spread by handling of carcasses or by
ticks/fleas/biting flies, but there are documented cases of squirrel bite
transmission.

5. Typhus has, I know, been associated with flying squirrels. I am not
sure about other types of squirrels.

6. I have a personal mild concern regarding bayliscascaris procyonis,
which is a raccoon parasite known to cause visceral larva migrans in
squirrels and other animals, including humans (and it can be fatal or
cause horrible neurological complications). While the squirrel is an
aberrant host, and thus can't develop a patent infection and pass eggs to
infect someone else, so is the dog - and there HAVE been a very few case
reports of dogs developing patent infections, and hence I imagine it would
be possible in the squirrel as well, although it hasn't been seen to
happen yet.

There may be - actually, probably ARE, since this is not my field of
expertise - more zoonoses on this list, but this is what comes to mind.

-Hillary Israeli, VMD, companion animal practice

Old April 27th 04, 08:50 PM
Mary

"dragonlady" wrote in message
[...]

In my opinion, living where there are fleas, ticks, rabies and the like
(Midwest), I would not fear a tame/friendly wild animal (but would probably
spray it with flea/tick repellent). I have known several locals to have
skunks, raccoons, deer, owls, hawks, etc. as 'friends'. I would check with
your local DNR (Dept. of Natural Resources) or Wildlife Dept. just to see
what types of vaccines, etc. can make it a safer 'friend' (if you're really
that concerned, but I wouldn't be)...after all, there are a lot of people in
the world who have befriended wild/feral cats. I would let this baby enjoy
the comfort and safety of your daughter. Maybe this poor critter was
abandoned and even a better reason to show it love. Keep us updated. In all,
I think it's sweet that this animal would have the courage to do what it is.
Enjoy nature, being unnatural and I'd take pictures- you have a great story
on your hands!
--
Mary~
Mom of 2 Sweeties on Earth and 2 Sweeties in Heaven

Old April 28th 04, 02:25 AM
Banty

In article , dragonlady
says...

I've never dealt with this before, and have no idea where else to go to
ask, so I'm asking here!

A baby squirrel seems to be doing it's best to adopt my 18 year old as
it's mommie. It came out last night and climbed onto the laptop (she'd
taken it outside to watch a DVD in relative coolness) then stayed with
her and her friend, eating a tangerine they fed it (off our tree) and
eventually falling asleep on the blanket they were sitting on. She
covered it with a corner of the blanket before she came in for the
night, and this morning it was still there. It likes to be petted, and
climbs onto her lap and snuggles in -- more friendly than my older
daughter's cat! I have no idea how old it is, except it is obviously
not yet fully grown -- this year's litter, in any event.

My brother had two pet squirrels, raised by hand after he discovered a litter
one morning when he was out on an HVAC (heating, venitlation, air-conditioning)
call. There's a barrel-shaped finned air-moving device called a "squirrel
cage", and that's where he found them in a nest - really! Squirrels in the
squirrel cage. The mother had chewed on some wires and was electrocuted - that
was the root cause of the HVAC problem. He put the babies in a shoe box with
some tissues, and put it in his truck, and went on the rest of the day's calls.
He didn't expect them to survive, but didn't have the heart to dispose of them.

Well, four were alive at the end of the day, and he and his girlfriend managed
to get two to thrive. And they grew up! They're pretty intelligent and
affectionate (like pet rats with hairy tails), but he put up with a LOT of house
and furniture damage before he put them outside after a few months. They hung
around for about a year, one drifted off, then the other. He still talks about
them.

Banty

Old April 28th 04, 07:12 PM
Heather

I actually have experience with this. It happened to me when I was younger!
Mine were grey squirrels, not red ones. Two baby squirrels decided I was
their best friend, and with no mom running to their rescue, I fed and petted
them OUTSIDE for about a week until one day, they just up and left. But they
would run up my body and back down like I was a tree, very cute and funny.
I still saw them when I visited my mom for a year, maybe two and only
recognised them because they came right up to me. But after that, nada.
Guess they died.
They did not bite me but attempted to nibble my finger when it smelled like
food.
My ex father in law raised a pair whose mom had electrocuted herself by
accident. He said they liked to ride in his shirt pockets and slept in his
boots which he hung from a nail in the garage. They would be up waiting for
him each morning. They left eventually too and he was grateful as he said
they had begun to get destructive in the garage.

Heather

"dragonlady" wrote in message
In article ,
(Hillary Israeli) wrote:

In ,
Beth Kevles wrote:
*
*I think, in the end, I'd be uncomfortable with this relationship, but
*consult with a vet and see how it goes.

I am not a wildlife expert, but I have a special interest in zoonoses

and
can talk a little bit about those which may be carried or vectored by
squirrels. It will depend greatly on the geographic location, but, in
general:

Thanks for the information, Hillary! Given that my daughter is 18, I
wouldn't even TRY to tell her she couldn't adopt this squirrel -- but I
CAN give her information about the risks involved.

Do you know where I can get information about what diseases are common
in THIS area? Would a local vet be likely to be any help? I don't have
a lot of money to put into this, and since other rodents are often pets
I don't really have any sort of emotional response to this -- but I
would like to try to make it as safe as possible!

It turns out that there are actually two of them, one of which is more
friendly than the other. They are continuing to hang out in our back
yard, and come out to greet us if anyone goes back there. They've come
up to the patio window a few times -- which gets the cats interest! I
think they may be thumbing their noses at the cat . . .

meh

Old April 29th 04, 03:11 PM
Laur?

"Heather" wrote in message ...
[...]

I have experience with it to. When I was pretty young my sister found
an injured baby squirrel at the raquet club. She brought it home and
we raised it. It had had the end of his tail broken off so when he
grew up instead of his tail going up and over it just went up and
stopped. I'm not sure how long we had him. He would climb everybody
and the curtains, one day my mother was fixxing her hair and all of a
sudden Baby (the squirrel) was sitting on top of her head. He loved
sleeping on the back of the TV where it stuck out and the air vents
were. When he was grown we started letting him out and he would come
back in threw the cat door on the porch when he was ready to. One day
he didn't come back and we figured he had found a girlfriend.