Milk intolerance/allergy in 3 year old

Old March 23rd 04, 02:47 PM
Robin T.

Default Milk intolerance/allergy in 3 year old

Kereru wrote:
I have a friend who gets diaroah from cheese. She's fine with all
other dairy products. She was intolerant to cows milk as a baby too.

Judy

I have Crohn's disease, which often leads to a lactose sensitivity. I can
eat all the cheese I want, but I can only eat a little bit of ice cream, and
I can't drink milk at all without it leading to a sore tummy. Milk products
(used in baking, etc) don't bother me at all, either.

Robin T.

Old March 23rd 04, 07:51 PM
Elana Kehoe

Iuil wrote:

Also, any dairy free food suggestions welcome. It's very difficult! Has

anyone
ever had carnation instant breakfast or the like with water instead of

milk?
(I know, I know, Nestle. Sorry, but my kid loves it

Try making it with soy milk - I find soy to be much nicer in things like
that.

Isn't there dairy powder in that? I thought there was...
--
It's Tis Herself!

Old March 23rd 04, 07:51 PM
Elana Kehoe

Beth Kevles wrote:

Hi --

Brighid, if your husband made a "kick-ass" mac and cheese using soy
cheese, get suspicious. Read the ingredients in the soy cheese. I bet
it contains some form of casein, perhaps sodium caseinate. Why?
Because casein is what lets cheese melt so nicely. Most soy cheeses
contain casein so that they can have a decent texture.

If he managed to make a soy mac and "cheese" with a truly milk-free
cheese, I'd love to know the recipe!

Seconding that...soy/rice cheese is nasty (IMO) :-). I tried making mac
and cheese and it was horrid.
--
It's Tis Herself!

Old March 25th 04, 02:52 AM
Denise Anderson

"Elana Kehoe" wrote in message
Beth Kevles wrote:

Hi --

Brighid, if your husband made a "kick-ass" mac and cheese using soy
cheese, get suspicious. Read the ingredients in the soy cheese. I bet
it contains some form of casein, perhaps sodium caseinate. Why?
Because casein is what lets cheese melt so nicely. Most soy cheeses
contain casein so that they can have a decent texture.

If he managed to make a soy mac and "cheese" with a truly milk-free
cheese, I'd love to know the recipe!

Seconding that...soy/rice cheese is nasty (IMO) :-). I tried making mac
and cheese and it was horrid.
--

I've never been able to get truly lactose/dairy free cheese to melt. We
call it fall out cheese around here

Denise