Sleep POLL

Old October 30th 05, 07:17 PM
Cath

Default Sleep POLL

Jo wrote:

Ok, it's taking me about an hour to put him to sleep for nap times now,
and he doesn't stay asleep for even an hour any more. This wouldn't
feel so bad to me if I knew it was normal, so I am really interested in
what your babies to WRT sleep...

1. How old is your baby?

12 weeks

2. How does he/she get to sleep for naps?

He usually just falls asleep on my lap or in his bouncy chair and I
transfer him to his pram in the daytime, so he can stay downstairs.
Sometimes, when he yawns a couple of times, I put him in his pram still
awake and he will fall asleep by himself. At night I give him his last
feed lying down on our bed, he doesn't nurse to sleep but I leave him
lying on our bed till he falls asleep and transfer him to his cot next
to the bed. He usually wakes up when I do this but then falls asleep by
himself in his cot.

3. How many/long are the naps?

Varies, usually a one 2-4 hour nap in the daytime and a few short naps
(15-30 minutes)

4. Where and how do they sleep at night?

In a crib next to our bed (my side of the bed).

5. How many times do they wake over night?

The last week he has been sleeping from about 11 to 6 or 7. He does wake
once or twice during the night but only briefly, I only notice this when
I happen to sleep lightly at that time myself. Before this week he'd
usually nurse between 3 and 4 but has not done so for the past week.
He's quite big and has gained on avarage almost 300 grams (10.5 ounces)
per week so I guess he's getting enough BM in the 6 or 7 feeds he takes
during the day.

6. Does your baby sleep the 'recommended' number of hours?

Not sure what they are, but probably yes.

7. Should I stop reading books and just get on with it?

I'd say yes, go with your instincts and see what works for your baby. I
wouldn't reccomend doing anything that goes against your own feelings!

My DD was a completely different baby from DS - hardly slept during the
day, nursing almost constantly during the day, and woke at least twice
at night and would need to be nursed back to sleep. I don't think I'm
doing anything different this time round yet DS has a completely
different sleeping and eating pattern. Only difference is that we don't
co-sleep this time round as I find I sleep better if I don't.
I don't see how one method could work for all baby's, seeing how
different even babies from the same family can be. DD started sleeping
through the night at 10 month and started taking daytime naps when she
started to crawl at about 8,5 month. I did nothing specific, it just
happened by itself...

Just hang in there, things will change.

Good luck!
Cath
Mom to Fenna born 5th of july 03
and Jens born 10th of august 05
Old October 31st 05, 02:03 AM
Jo

Cath wrote:

Just hang in there, things will change.

Good luck!
Cath
Mom to Fenna born 5th of july 03
and Jens born 10th of august 05

Thanks, Cath

Jo
Old October 31st 05, 01:39 PM
Rebecca Jo

"Jo" wrote:

Ok, it's taking me about an hour to put him to sleep for nap times now,
and he doesn't stay asleep for even an hour any more. This wouldn't feel
so bad to me if I knew it was normal, so I am really interested in what
your babies to WRT sleep...

1. How old is your baby?

Almost 5 months.

2. How does he/she get to sleep for naps?

He nurses & sleeps whenever he wants to.

3. How many/long are the naps?

He is a very short napper. If he goes a full hour, I'm shocked. Usually it's
30 minutes.

4. Where and how do they sleep at night?

Sleeps in bed with us & nurses to sleep.

5. How many times do they wake over night?

Sleeps about 4-5 hours the first time & then up every 2.5 or 3 hours after
that.

6. Does your baby sleep the 'recommended' number of hours?

I dunno.

7. Should I stop reading books and just get on with it?

I think so.

Thanks

Jo (Mum to Will, 5 months old - who is rolling rolling rolling!)

Rj

Old November 1st 05, 10:29 AM
Chookie

In article ,
Jo wrote:

Thanks, Sara. I do have a baby bjorn which he used to sleep in ok, but
not anymore. I have another carrier - a hug a bub but I can't get him
to look remotely comfortable in it. I need a lesson.

Did you get the DVD?

Remember that it needs to be TIGHT. Bub needs to be as close as possible to
you, particularly if he's facing out. I find face-in much easier than
face-out, so start with that until you feel comfortable.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old November 3rd 05, 02:29 AM
Child

"Jo" wrote in message
Ok, it's taking me about an hour to put him to sleep for nap times now,
and he doesn't stay asleep for even an hour any more. This wouldn't feel
so bad to me if I knew it was normal, so I am really interested in what
your babies to WRT sleep...

1. How old is your baby?

almost 5 months

2. How does he/she get to sleep for naps?

30-45 minutes

3. How many/long are the naps?

2-3/day

4. Where and how do they sleep at night?

co-sleeping next to me

5. How many times do they wake over night?

not sure - he never really wakes up, but feeds 3-4 times in a half asleep
state

6. Does your baby sleep the 'recommended' number of hours?

I think so - he sleeps 10-11 hours

7. Should I stop reading books and just get on with it?

LOL, each baby is an individual!