Req assistance...

Old November 13th 03, 08:26 PM
Stevhan Hartwell

Default Req assistance...

My son's school has indentified my son as ADD / ADHD - adding the
additional charming comment that he is a "problem child." I didn't know
that teachers and school psychologists had medical degrees, but what do I
know. They want him to be on meds, of course, so they can control him. But
I don't believe in medicating the hell out of kids. I actually hate the
idea. Ryan is a bright, super active 7 year old.

I've read some information on Indigo and Crystal Children. Just curious if
anyone else has read about these special kids, if you know about them, if
you know how to deal with them without medicating them into oblivion.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Stevhan
Old November 13th 03, 10:15 PM
Tommy

Stevhan Hartwell wrote:

My son's school has indentified my son as ADD / ADHD - adding the
additional charming comment that he is a "problem child." I didn't know
that teachers and school psychologists had medical degrees, but what do I
know. They want him to be on meds, of course, so they can control him. But
I don't believe in medicating the hell out of kids. I actually hate the
idea. Ryan is a bright, super active 7 year old.

I don't know about all that but I can tell ya what happend to a good friend
of mine.

He was a normal guy, we used to hang out, Anyway he was nothing more than
the class clown, always cuting up and stuff. It was no big deal. Anyway,
the school called his mom and they put him on one of those mental drugs,
ritalan or something like that, that crap just made him agitated. He was
different. All of us told him he needed to get off of that crap. YOU WON'T
BELIEVE WHAT THEY DID TO HIM. The drug was making him agitated so the damn
doctor upped the dosage to cure the agitation. What an idiot this doctor
was!
Now my friend is in a psych-ward as I type this. THE DAMN DOCTORS GAVE HIM
DRUGS THAT MADE HIM AGAITATED, when he became agitated they gave him more
drugs that caused more agitation. Now they got him on more mental drugs
that make him a zombie.
I can see what's going on, his mom has blue-cross-blue shield insurance.
That same doctor works out of the psych-ward. It's nothing more than a
racket. I don't know if this is true or not, but my friend said those
places charge 2,000 a day. Last time I talked to him - I said man you need
to get your head straight and spit out that damn dope that they're giving
you and request some kind of hearing.

What they will probably do is keep him doped untill he's 18 or when the
insurance policy expires and then say: GUESS WHAT? You're cured, You can go
home.

--
Unix Is User Friendley - It Just Chooses It's Friends Wisley.
Old November 14th 03, 03:49 PM
Bill Fischer

First, have your child's teachers write down exactly what he is doing.
Don't except a one-liner like: "This child is hyperactive." Often,
teachers can supply a Conners form which can show various areas of
behavior. But specific written comments can help your child's
pediatrician to diagnose the problem.

Second, both parents need to ask themselves about this child's behavior
elsewhere. Is it only at school that he has problems? How about at
church? Or when you go to movies or to a restaurant? Have other
relatives commented about your son's behavior? Have baby-sitters
commented or, worse, simply refused to care for your child? Has
expulsion be threatened or carried out at daycare? How long has this
behavior problem existed?

Third, take your child to his pediatrician. When making the appointment,
tell the receptionist specifically why you want the appointment. (Some
pediatricians have the luxury of setting aside special time to discuss
and evaluate behavior problems.) Don't go to this visit with a shopping
list of other, unrelated medical problems. When you go to the
appointment, only parent(s) and child should attend. (Don't bring is
other siblings, neighbor kids, your daycare class, etc.)

Keep in mind that other medical problems, other behavior disorders and
emotional stresses can mimic hyperactivity.

Be open minded. If a parent tells me that he/she does not want the child
on medication, I will not provide a prescription.

BUT many of my patients did dramatically better on medication. In my
estimation, it has helped them better benefit from their educational
experience. Socially, other kids accept them, which can improve the
child's self-esteem. At home, it has reduced the stress that ADHD can
wreak on families and on parents' marital relationship.

Remember: No one medication is effective on all children and that
dosages may need to be titrated up or down before being effective.

Remember, too: Therapy for ADHD is a partnership among child, parent,
teachers, pediatrician, and (possibly) mental health professional. If
your child has ADHD, you will have to forge a relationship with his
teachers that is stronger than that for other non-ADHD children.

Old November 16th 03, 02:51 PM
Celtic Castaway

My 7yr old daughter is ADD. She is not physically hyperactive, apart from
fidgiting to the point of falling off her chair :-) , her hyperactivity is
upstairs, the distraction factor, etc... anyway, she is reluctantly on
ritalin, and to my surprise, she is doing so much better in her grades, her
social interactions, heck she even stopped wetting herself (she was too
distracted to realize that she needed to go pee and would realize when it
was too late - and yes we did the doctor routine for that, medications,
ultrasounds, etc... ) which has improved her self esteem incredibly. There
have been no noteable side effects except for her lunch time appetite.. so
she mows down at breakfast and again at dinner, since she started it in
spring of this year she has grown taller and gained more weight, so growth
development is not stunted (oh she takes 10mg 3x day) and she does not do
the zombie routine either... other behavioural aspects of her behavior have
toned down.. she is mulitiple diagnosis, but that is another topic... she
was not diagnosed by the school however, I had her in therapy already for
issues, and she has a play therapist and a psychiatrist that we work with.
Constant contact with the teachers and principal, etc..

I would say, try it... if it works, then great, if it doesn't at least you
tried it, but also get an outside agency involved vs just the school...

Good Luck.
CC