Packing a bag today...

Old April 22nd 04, 01:23 AM
Nan

Default Packing a bag today...

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:47:27 -0400, "Sophie"
wrote:

"Anne Rogers"
I suggest you put the minimum in your bag, your dh will have to go home at
night, so he can bring stuff back the next day. Also, you rarely have to
leave in 2 seconds flat, so you could put a list on top of the bag, with
locations in case your dh has to find things.

My husband spent every night at the hospital with me, with all 3 babies.

Yep, same here. Only non-family visitors are told to leave at 8 p.m.

Nan

Old April 22nd 04, 01:25 AM
Nan

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:00:47 -0400, "Sophie"
wrote:

I'm still not sure how many pairs of
maternity undies to pack- I only own 8-10 pairs. If I pack 3 I'll have to
make it on 5-7 here, which means I'll be washing more often. I take 2
showers a day so I go through 2 pairs a day. TMI?

I didn't wear my undies in the hospital. My hospitals have these net things
and I just used those. Why get blood on your own stuff?

I despise those net thingies. I just took my own older, "throwaway"
undies. I wasn't about to take anything home to wash it.
I did just use the net thingies after my emergency repair surgery,
though. Mainly because I didn't exactly have the opportunity to pack
any of my own stuff, and I was in too much pain to give a rip ;-)

Nan

Old April 22nd 04, 01:48 AM
Auntie Bubbles

Default Packing a bag today... (WARN: graphic desc.)

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
Auntie Bubbles wrote:

"Jill" wrote in message
news
I am packing my bag for the hospital today. [...]

I'm still not sure how many pairs of
maternity undies to pack- I only own 8-10 pairs. If I pack 3 I'll have

make it on 5-7 here, which means I'll be washing more often. I take 2
showers a day so I go through 2 pairs a day. TMI?

Hee hee, Jill, I've had my bag packed for almost 5 weeks also! I have

the
same problems as you, including the undie shortage and two showers a

day. I
figure I'll be a little smaller (not much) so I packed some of the

undies I
was wearing a few months ago.

You probably won't be too much smaller... Not anything
personal, but one of the things that I'd heard and in my
experience, you're so pumped up with IVs (assuming you
get them), plus the whole birth experience makes you swell,
that I was really not much smaller than before I had DS.

Shoot, I guess that is just wishful thinking. I just had to buy a larger
size panties last week! I never did buy maternity undies, I just liked the
plain white cotton panties.

Alexis

Old April 22nd 04, 02:51 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Jill wrote:

1 knee-length Nightshirt (land's end sleep tee), dark purple. Not sure if I
will even need this? But dark purple so stains won't matter.

I wore Lands End sleep tees while in labor with
all three babes--long sleeved for the winter one, and
short sleeved for the summer ones ;-) For the record,
the short sleeved ones were light colored and there's
nary a stain on them.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old April 22nd 04, 10:00 AM
Anne Rogers

"Anne Rogers"
I suggest you put the minimum in your bag, your dh will have to go home at
night, so he can bring stuff back the next day. Also, you rarely have to
leave in 2 seconds flat, so you could put a list on top of the bag, with
locations in case your dh has to find things.

My husband spent every night at the hospital with me, with all 3 babies.

lucky you, I've never heard of this being allowed in the UK
Old April 22nd 04, 10:02 AM
Anne Rogers

My husband spent every night at the hospital with me, with all 3 babies.

Mine, too. And he was so sleepy when we were checked into our regular room
at midnight, that I am glad I didn't have to send him home for anything!

room not ward! we got on the ward at 3am and he was unceremoniously turfed
out, not even allowed to snooze in the day room, he didn't make it back
til 2pm the next day. The good thing about this was that he had caught up
on all the sleep lost in the previsous few days, so was much more
refreshed when we did get home.
Old April 22nd 04, 10:04 AM
Anne Rogers

My husband spent every night at the hospital with me, with all 3 babies.

Yep, same here. Only non-family visitors are told to leave at 8 p.m.

is this a US/UK difference? partners were allowed 8am-11pm, or similar,
there were too slots for other visitors, something like 2pm-4pm and
7pm-9pm.
Old April 22nd 04, 03:37 PM
Shelly

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
am.ac.uk...
My husband spent every night at the hospital with me, with all 3

babies.

Mine, too. And he was so sleepy when we were checked into our regular

room
at midnight, that I am glad I didn't have to send him home for anything!

room not ward! we got on the ward at 3am and he was unceremoniously turfed
out, not even allowed to snooze in the day room,

Oh, man - how sad! Of course, the pull-out couch in my room was so uncomfy,
I think DH kind of wished he had been kicked out, so he would have had an
excuse to go back and sleep on our comfy bed at home.

Old April 22nd 04, 03:52 PM
Anne Rogers

room not ward! we got on the ward at 3am and he was unceremoniously turfed
out, not even allowed to snooze in the day room,

Oh, man - how sad! Of course, the pull-out couch in my room was so uncomfy,
I think DH kind of wished he had been kicked out, so he would have had an
excuse to go back and sleep on our comfy bed at home.

it's just the way things are here, private rooms are a rare thing, the
ward I was on had 2 six bed bays, 2 five bed bays and 4 private rooms, the
same rules would apply to the private rooms about visitors

this is why I wanted a home birth, I was fine with giving birth in
hospital, just not staying there, which you fairly much have to do if you
baby is born after 5pm but before about 3am because of having to see the
pediatrician before discharge, ds was born just after 10pm, and they
insisted on monitoring him for 48 hours due to PROM
Old April 22nd 04, 04:46 PM
Jill

"Carla" wrote
They seem baffled as to why I keep refusing their offers -- sort of
shocked & appalled that I'm so willing to disgrace the family by
actually being COMFORTABLE while I'm in the hospital. I won't be at
ALL surprised if I suddenly receive a "lovely" frilly gown & robe with
the little matching clicky heeled slippers (like Blanche on Golden
Girls wears) p&g!

Lol! I guess I try to understand that they come from a different time, and
have a hard time relating to modern times. Back in their days, going for a
doctor's appointment was also something you dressed up for. Hat, gloves,
etc. I'm scandalous because I have gone to a doctor's appointment wearing
(new, tidy, neat, but still) sweatpants. I don't do that often but I will do
it without worrying about it! (I would never wear sweats to the mall
etc..)..but I will probably wear sweats to the hospital when I am in labor
because I have some loose enough that the elastic doesn't bother me, but
they don't look too tacky or baggy. My nicer looking clothing gets more
uncomfortable by the day/week...and I am so close, I don't want to invest in
more, just so "people" won't "say something". Lol. At least I will get some
more wear out of my maternity clothes after I have the baby...the problem
then will be nursing-friendly clothes.

is today the day? R.Sitter Pregnancy 8 March 16th 04 11:07 PM
Drat-- panic attack possible today. Jill Pregnancy 6 February 29th 04 02:45 AM
due today!!! Shannon Pregnancy 1 September 15th 03 12:24 PM
First Ultrasound Today. I'm nervous! Carol Ann Pregnancy 12 August 23rd 03 03:37 PM
40 weeks today Alicia Elliott Pregnancy 7 August 9th 03 11:49 PM