Constipation and rash

Old October 28th 03, 07:11 AM
CY

Default Constipation and rash

I have never done a formal intro here, but I suppose since I am actually
posting an on topic post here I should!

I am a SAHM to DD who is 20 months. I've been married for 8 yrs and moved
to the US from the UK about 9.5 yrs ago. I used to be a computer trainer
but gave up the office life to be a mum to my darling child.

She's almost completely bf'd and has never really taken to solid food, but
she has days when she'll eat like a horse (her favorite things).

Anyway, you may have seen my other posts about constipation but now she has
developed a rash also and I am now wondering if it could be food related and
that both things are connected. She was diagnosed with eczema a few months
ago and she was prescribed Triamcinolone (sp?) cream which basically does
nothing. Her skin was dry to the touch, but not really red, raised or
bumpy. The constipation has been going on since she was about 10 months old
(she "goes" about once a week, painful, hard stools) and the dryness of the
skin started at about 13 months.

The past month she has had a raised angry looked rash - almost like she has
been stung by something. It itches her and she scratches like crazy. We
have tried all kinds of creams, Benadryl, Calamine etc to no avail. (We have
even tried Calendula and some homepathic remedies but nothing has worked
long-term).

So, I am now wondering if these two things could be caused by a) something
in my diet (dairy maybe?) or b) something in hers. I know there are a lot
of you who have allergic kids and that you should avoid wheat etc., but I
haven't the faintest idea about how to do that if I am to increase fiber in
her diet. I also don't know if that's a good route to go.

Nothing has changed in her diet (or mine for that matter)lately and I
haven't had a new carpet, cleaner or detergent so I am a bit of a loss.

We have been refereed to a Gastroenterologist and a dermatologist, but I
wondered what you all thought. And, for the record, I know that you are not
doctors blahdy blahdy blah.

TIA for any insights.

CY

Old October 28th 03, 12:21 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

The most common allergens are wheat, animal milk protein, eggs and soy.
Try to RUTHLESSLY eliminate all those from both her diet and yours for
two weeks, during which you nurse, nurse, nurse. For solids give her
non-citrus fruits and green veggies. Be sure to keep a journal of
everything that she and you eat and drink, and in the same diary write
down eveything you can about the state of her health. If her eczema,
rash or constipation start to clear up, you'll know that at least one of
those items triggers a bad reaction in your daughter.

You should also pick up the book by Dr. Doris Rapp called "Is This Your
Child?", which explains hidden allergies, multiple elimination diets,
and other things very clearly. It's a well-written, easy to read book.
In the US it's easily obtained at libraries. In the UK you may need to
purchase it. (The US version of amazon.com has it, as do some online
used booksellers.)

Good luck,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

[...]