Kids on the Internet

Old June 14th 06, 06:06 PM posted to misc.kids

Default Kids on the Internet

We have three children. Our oldest girl is 17, our other daughter is 14
and we also have a son who is 8.
I am really concerned with all the chatting and blogs (MySpace,
Facebook...) that they are going into every day. We both try to keep an
eye on them, looking over their shoulder we can to see what they are
doing, but we're not there all the time and now with summer vacation
arriving they will be home all day.
It's easy to say don't use the computer, but my kids, especially my
daughters, use it for schoolwork. I know that there are lots of
programs out there but all of them that I found you have to pay a
license for every computer that you install. Does anybody know about
any free service that I could use to help my wife and me?

Thanks,

Old June 14th 06, 06:55 PM posted to misc.kids

wrote:
Gus

Just saw your posing. Talk about timely...

Rest of spam cut.

I demand a better quality of spammers. These sock puppets are holey
and smell bad.

Barbara

Old June 14th 06, 08:27 PM posted to misc.kids

"Gus" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have three children. Our oldest girl is 17, our other daughter is 14
and we also have a son who is 8.
I am really concerned with all the chatting and blogs (MySpace,
Facebook...) that they are going into every day. .....

Ways to check kids computer use:

1) keep the computer in a public area and look over their shoulders

2) if they have their own computers, turn it on and check the web histories
and email (if they password protect it, remove the computer and not let them
have it back until you, the parent, can see what they are up to)

3) if they have a Myspace account, get one yourself and check on their
pages periodically. This is true if they have other pages (blogs,
sheezyart, etc).

4) have mulitple profiles on kids' computer --- the parent would have
"adminstrator" privleges and the (if possible) the kid's profile would be
limited... NOTE: some games can only be played on profiles with
adminstrator privleges, but daughter does not do that, so she works on her
"limited" profile.

5) activate "Content Advisor" on computer kids use... this requires that
webpages must be approved with a parent installed password. This is a brute
force filtering available on Microsoft's Internet Explorer. Before buying
any kind of Net Nanny software, see what is already available for free, like
Google's Safesearch options:
http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/customize.html#safe

There was a recent PTSA meeting at the middle school about internet safety.
The police officer who gave the presentation gave out
http://www.netsmartz.org/ as a place to find out more information. There is
a link on the first page on ways to arrange internet safety presentations.

Old June 14th 06, 09:39 PM posted to misc.kids

On 14 Jun 2006 10:33:15 -0700, wrote:
Gus

Just saw your posing. Talk about timely...

Just recently I found something new online, called "iamstupid". I
know, weird name, but check it out. Go to
www.iamastupidspammer.com and see for
yourself.

Actually, no, you're an asshole spamming your site:

WHOIS info for the spammer:
------
Registrant:
Labtech Systems Inc.

2550 Argentia Road
Suite 214
Mississauga, Ontario L5N 5R1
Canada

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: CHOOZMAIL.COM
Created on: 07-Jul-03
Expires on: 07-Jul-14
Last Updated on: 16-May-05

Administrative Contact:
Taylor, David
Labtech Systems Inc.
2550 Argentia Road
Suite 214
Mississauga, Ontario L5N 5R1
Canada
9058148836 Fax -- 9058148846

Technical Contact:
Brasil, Gustavo

Labtech Systems Inc.
2550 Argentia Road
Suite 109
Mississauga, Ontario L5N 5R1
Canada
905 814 8836

--------------

WHOIS information for the spammy site:

Registrant:
Gustavo Brasil
3950 Worthview Place
Mississauga, Ontario L5N 6S7
Canada

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (
http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: HOOPAA.COM
Created on: 04-Nov-05
Expires on: 04-Nov-07
Last Updated on: 04-Nov-05

Administrative Contact:
Brasil, Gustavo
3950 Worthview Place
Mississauga, Ontario L5N 6S7
Canada
(905) 824-5306

Technical Contact:
Brasil, Gustavo

3950 Worthview Place
Mississauga, Ontario L5N 6S7
Canada
(905) 824-5306

------------

Now, don't you just feel like an idiot?

Old June 14th 06, 11:34 PM posted to misc.kids

"Gus" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have three children. Our oldest girl is 17, our other daughter is 14
and we also have a son who is 8.
I am really concerned with all the chatting and blogs (MySpace,
Facebook...) that they are going into every day. We both try to keep an
eye on them, looking over their shoulder we can to see what they are
doing, but we're not there all the time and now with summer vacation
arriving they will be home all day.
It's easy to say don't use the computer, but my kids, especially my
daughters, use it for schoolwork.

Not over the summer.

I know that there are lots of
programs out there but all of them that I found you have to pay a
license for every computer that you install. Does anybody know about
any free service that I could use to help my wife and me?

Turning off your computer and limiting the amount of time they are allowed
to use the computer, TV, video games, etc., (perhaps to two hours per day)
should help.

Jeff

Thanks,

Old June 15th 06, 01:11 AM posted to misc.kids

Hi --

The best way (in the long run) to keep your kids safe on the internet is
to teach them how to keep THEMSELVES safe. The curriculum at isafe.org
seems pretty good to me, and has a parent/teacher education component
that I think is VERY good.

With your oldest, your best bet is to talk with her a lot, get her
views, and discuss basic issues such as reputation (did you know that
employers look at places like myspace when making hiring decision?!),
internet stalkers, technical safety (ie viruses), and legal issues (no
downloading copyrighted materials, right?). See if you can steer the
conversation around so that she sets guidelines herself, then you might
even be able to send her off to college with some peace of mind!

You can apply the same principle with your middle child, but you'll
probably need to share in the rule-setting, rather than letting her
create somewhat looser guidelines.

With your youngest, I'd ban internet use unless you or a trusted older
person (your oldest child?) is in the same room. Keep an eye on things.

Of course, I'm talking about the generic child, and these suggestions
may not apply to the individuals you have in your home!

Good luck,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.