2 1/2 year old not talking

Old June 13th 06, 08:46 PM posted to misc.kids

Default 2 1/2 year old not talking

My son will be 2 1/2 in a couple weeks, and so far, he has only learned
how to say "uh-oh" (which he does use appropriately). He babbles all
day long, but refuses to copy any words that we say to him. He has
been learning some sign language, which has been VERY helpful (saving
all of us from many temper tantrums). He has been going to a local
playgroup through the school system, working with a speech therapist
for about 6 months, but the speech therapist has not started coming to
our home yet to do one-on-one therapy. He has had his hearing checked,
and he hears very well. He is a very happy and healthy little boy who
loves to play games and figure out how objects work (toys, doors,
phone, remote, shoes, etc....). Basically, I was just wondering if
there are any other parents out there who might have a child in the
similar situation, and if you would be willing to share your story /
success with me! I need some emotional support with this!! Thank
you!!!

Old June 13th 06, 09:40 PM posted to misc.kids

"hsstanley" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Since you've already had his hearing tested, and you've already started
speech therapy, I'm guessing you've ruled-out pervasive developmental
delays?

My boys were not speaking at that age either, and were diagnosed as PDD-NOS
at about age 3.5 and high-functioning autistic at the age of about five.
They're eight now, and while they can communicate, it's not at the level of
their peers.

If you haven't already had him evaluated, get it done now. The sooner the
better if it turns out to be something on the autistic spectrum.

Old June 13th 06, 09:49 PM posted to misc.kids

hsstanley wrote:
[...]

Does he have comprehension? We had speech issues but were not so worried
because our son demonstrated that he could quite clearly understand what
we were saying to him but chose not to speak. Then, around age 2 1/2 he
suddenly decided that talking was good and hasn't really stopped since.
Two years on, he now has quite a wide vocabulary, including words that
he's picked up from TV and outside the family.

--
Dave
mail da (without the space)
Old June 13th 06, 09:51 PM posted to misc.kids

He has his well-child checkup in a little over a week, and that was
something that we were going to talk to his doctor about. His speech
therapist and playgroup "teacher" both seemed to think that he is most
likely not autistic (they both work with other autistic children), but
we still want to check on that! His speech therapist also recommended
genetic testing at a local university..... I'm not sure what that would
involve, but that's something else that we were going to ask his doctor
about.

Frisbee® wrote:
oups.com...

Old June 13th 06, 10:02 PM posted to misc.kids

hsstanley wrote:

He has his well-child checkup in a little over a week, and that was
something that we were going to talk to his doctor about. His speech
therapist and playgroup "teacher" both seemed to think that he is most
likely not autistic (they both work with other autistic children), but
we still want to check on that!

Go to a development/behaviour group that specializes
in children to get him tested. It should be done
by a child psychologist.

His speech therapist also recommended
genetic testing at a local university.....

That is probably blood work to rule out any kind of
metabolic disorders. Pillbug has had tons of them.

Pillbug is now 3 and does not have any words. He
is autistic.

-- Anita --
Old June 14th 06, 12:13 AM posted to misc.kids

hsstanley wrote:
[...]

My ds is 2 years and 4 months old, and doesn't say a whole lot. We've
just started Early Intervention, and basically with the one meeting
we've had, the lady told us that from what she could see, he just
needs to 'engage'. This doesn't sound like your son, who's been
successful with signing. My ds resists signing, resists being
hand-taught *anything*, be it undressing, opening something, signs for
signing...But he's figured out most mechanical things in our house.
It's not that he doesn't have comprehension, he just wants it on his
terms. And like the EI lady said, he needs to start engaging with us in
order to learn more efficiently. He DOES make eye contact, so that's
not the issue. He's just stubborn! LOL.

Good luck with your little guy, it sounds like you're on the right
track...

Stasya

Old June 14th 06, 02:27 AM posted to misc.kids

"hsstanley" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Hunter didn't talk at 2.5yo either. He did start to talk at about 3yo and
received therapy. He continued to have some speech difficulty. He is 7yo
now and talks very functionally although he still makes articulation errors
that you wouldn't expect of a 7yo. We think he has a central auditory
processing delay/disorder. This generally is not tested for until the child
is at least 7yo. We haven't had that specific testing done yet but what we
have done all points to that. He has other things that stand out with his
language but it wouldn't apply to a child of 2.5 yet. My suggestion would
be to continue on with the therapy and get any other evaluations
recommended.
--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old June 14th 06, 03:20 AM posted to misc.kids

No, but I can think of 2 people I know, both male,
who hardly talked at all until somewhat older than
that. I think when that happens they're more
likely to start talking in complete sentences
when they do start. One of the people was confused
because of a bilingual household and reputedly
started talking in complete sentences about age 4
or 5 after someone explained to him that there
were 2 different lanuguages.

I would encouage you (besides getting him checked)
not to push him to talk, but to talk to him a lot,
and to use lots of sign language with him.
Asking him directly to talk might make him
feel shy and self-conscious about it.
I would take a relaxed approach and when he does
talk a bit, just answer him calmly as if you
aren't surprised at all, as if you've always
conversed with him like that. Just my suggestion.

If he's using sign language, that's a very good
sign. :-) Sign language uses the same language
parts of the brain as spoken language.