question about school report cards for non-custodial parents

Old May 23rd 07, 09:20 PM posted to alt.child-support
whatamess

Default question about school report cards for non-custodial parents

On May 23, 3:38 pm, "Bob Whiteside" wrote:
"whatamess" wrote in message

oups.com...

On May 23, 12:32 pm, John Meyer wrote:
whatamess wrote:
I know there is a law which allows a non-custodial parent to have
access to school records, however, we contacted my husband's
daughter's school district and they claim everything must be done in
person. The information we found on a father's right website stated
that this request could be sent by mail, and honestly, we can't even
afford a darn trip, much less to just go to the school and request the
records.

Does anyone here have information on this? The school district is
Grand Prairie, Texas...

Thanks!

Check this

out:http://www.palvaradolaw.com/page6.ht...School_Records

In regards to "access" and how it is defined, make it clear: you will
pay for postage and you will pay reasonable costs.

Also, how are those records sent to custodial parents. If it's being
sent to them through the mail, you have as much of a right to the same
courtesy being extended to you.

Thanks John...

Actually, the school stated they had no problem, but that they could
not "verify" who he was unless he went IN PERSON...
I'm going to call again and see what they say...My husband told them
all that this letter states and they still insisted he had to do this
"in person"...But we will check again.

Since you apparently live in a different location, ask the CP mother to
contact the school office and give them verification he is the father and
where to send the school information to him.

I think how this gets handled varies based on school districts. My
experience was after getting the process started in elementary school the
request to get school information carried on through middle school and high
school automatically without any involvement on my part.

My children's schools kept pre-addressed envelopes in the classroom where
the teachers placed a copy of everything they sent home daily in the
student's backpacks. They mailed me the envelope once a week.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for all the info...Sadly, I don't believe the mother will do
that. My husband
has asked her repeatedly for information and she always states she
will send to him
or call him and never does. Since she failed for sure last year, both
normal school year
AND summer school, he is now pretty worn out of asking the CP for it.
He has tried
not to make a big deal out of it, as everytime he asks for it, she
goes to the "you don't
trust me, I'm going to sc...w... you for not trusting me, blah,
blah..." But at this point,
he knows she at least lied all last year and is not going to take
anymore chances.
There is a way for him to get an online account with the school
district in order to
view the information, however, he needs the child's student ID and
neither child
nor CP will give him that...of course, he'll probably find out that
part of the reason
for failing is possibly due to abscences, etc...and they're worried
he'll do something
about it...Anyway, I think at this point we might just have to wait
until we can go there
and get the information.

By the way, if he gives me a power of attorney to represent him, could
I get that for him?
Just wondering since sometimes I do have to travel to Texas for
business...vs. him...

Thanks!