Jenny McCarthy: My son's recovery from autism

Old April 3rd 08, 10:21 PM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,talk.politics.medicine,misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.environment
Jan Drew

Default Jenny McCarthy: My son's recovery from autism

"The One True Zhen Jue" wrote in message
On Apr 3, 2:13 pm, Kelley Eidem wrote:
On Apr 2, 6:01 pm, wrote:

On Apr 2, 4:06 pm, Ilena Rose wrote:

http://ilenarose.blogspot.com
Health Lover, Ilena Rosenthal applauds Jenny McCarthy. Some in our
support group have mentioned a possible environmental link with her
breast implants also.

Many of us believe that genetic predispositions coupled with an
onslaught of other environmental factors:

aluminum and / or
mercury and / or
platinum and / or
silicone and / or
pesticides and /or
pharmaceuticals and / or
vaccinations and / or
second hand smoke and / or
etc. etc. etc.)

. . . in some permutation and combination, make these syndromes and
diseases difficult to quantify and fit in neat little diagnoses.
Video Parents vs. scientists: Watch the latest test case »

I enjoyed this article. As an educated and experienced scientist, I
really have to object to the "Parents vs scientists" part.

No scientist would agree to what is going on with autism. All the
scientists have been muzzled by the "Daubert" principle, whatever that
is.

Only doctors, who know little to no science, would perpetuate this
medical fraud. The title should have been Parents vs doctors.

Other than that, this was a nice report of what is going on. I can
only appluad the parents for taking action in spite of the negativity
of their medical doctors.

DrCee
You cannot secure nor restore health with pus or poisons.

DrCee, I love your tag line! It's a keeper I hope to help spread!- Hide
quoted text -

I've got a better one: You can't take seriously anything said by a man
who claims to have earned his PhD's on Uranus or Mars.

I have an even better one. Andrew Kingoff/aka ilsa Neil cannot remember who
he is.
Lies about disharmonies....

Old April 4th 08, 01:17 AM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,talk.politics.medicine,misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.environment
Mark Probert

On Apr 2, 6:15*pm, Myrl wrote:
This seems to be a fair and balanced analysis about vaccines and
autism. *

There is no such thing. The evidence clearly shows that there is no
relationship between the two. There is NO NEED for balance.

It is like debating sunrise.
Old April 4th 08, 01:18 AM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,talk.politics.medicine,misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.environment
Mark Probert

On Apr 2, 9:25*pm, (David Wright) wrote:
In article ,

Myrl wrote:
This seems to be a fair and balanced analysis about vaccines and
autism. *I have recently wondered if emphasis should be placed on
getting all suspected metals and components (i.e. Mercury and
Aluminum, etc.) out of all vaccines. *At least as much as possible.

I would also be interested in revisiting the vaccine protocols that
subject infants and children to multiple vaccines at once. *I am
concerned that imposing an usually high number of vaccines on young
tiny bodies at once, might not be a really good thing.

Depending on which news accounts presented regarding Hannah Poling, it
was reported that her mother stated that Hannah received as many as 9
vaccines at once. *I don't see how that can be a good thing!

The reports I've seen said five, not nine.

It was five, and there is no evidence that this is a problem.

Old April 4th 08, 01:19 AM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,talk.politics.medicine,misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.environment
Mark Probert

On Apr 2, 9:29*pm, Myrl wrote:
On Apr 2, 6:25*pm, (David Wright) wrote:

The reports I've seen said five, not nine.

I've seen everything from 6 - 9. *I did watch an interview with
Hannah's mom, and she clearly stated "9". *But then the reporter at
the end of that same interview quoted "6". *Quite confusing.

Either way - whether it's 5, 6, or 9, that seems like a lot of
vaccinations at one time.

It was five, right from the court papers. And, no, there is no problem
with 5.

Old April 4th 08, 02:37 AM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,talk.politics.medicine,misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.environment
Jan Drew

,

Myrl wrote:
This seems to be a fair and balanced analysis about vaccines and
autism. I have recently wondered if emphasis should be placed on
getting all suspected metals and components (i.e. Mercury and
Aluminum, etc.) out of all vaccines. At least as much as possible.

I would also be interested in revisiting the vaccine protocols that
subject infants and children to multiple vaccines at once. I am
concerned that imposing an usually high number of vaccines on young
tiny bodies at once, might not be a really good thing.

Depending on which news accounts presented regarding Hannah Poling, it
was reported that her mother stated that Hannah received as many as 9
vaccines at once. I don't see how that can be a good thing!

The reports I've seen said five, not nine.

It was five, and there is no evidence that this is a problem.
===

What a blatant lie.

http://adventuresinautism.blogspot.c...annah%20Poling

Julie Gerberding Admits on CNN that Vaccines can Trigger Autism
This weekend Julie Gerberding, the head of the CDC, appeared on Dr. Sanjay
Gupta's show, House Call, and explained that vaccines can trigger autism in
a vulnerable subset of children. This is the claim that parents like me have
been making since at least the 80's, and have been dismissed and even mocked
for making it.

But no one in the main stream media seems to have noticed. Not even CNN. Not
even Dr. Gupta who was sitting right in front of her.

[Video updated 4/2/08]

Old April 4th 08, 02:46 AM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,talk.politics.medicine,misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.environment
Jan Drew

Myrl wrote:
This seems to be a fair and balanced analysis about vaccines and
autism. I have recently wondered if emphasis should be placed on
getting all suspected metals and components (i.e. Mercury and
Aluminum, etc.) out of all vaccines. At least as much as possible.

I would also be interested in revisiting the vaccine protocols that
subject infants and children to multiple vaccines at once. I am
concerned that imposing an usually high number of vaccines on young
tiny bodies at once, might not be a really good thing.

Depending on which news accounts presented regarding Hannah Poling, it
was reported that her mother stated that Hannah received as many as 9
vaccines at once. I don't see how that can be a good thing!

The reports I've seen said five, not nine.

It was five, and there is no evidence that this is a problem.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...18/1008/NEWS01

Autism's simmering controversy
Area parents debate possible link to vaccinations

As a baby, Austin Pope seemed to be developing normally -- even at an
advanced pace, saying 75 words at 18 months.

But a month after getting five vaccines in one day, an unusually high number
at the time, Austin began regressing, said his mother, Janet Pope of
Crestwood.

One morning, he woke up with a stiff neck and just flopped in her arms.
Ultimately, he stopped talking, stopped making eye contact and retreated
into the world of autism.

Pope, whose son is now 16, tells a common story, one she compares to a
recent case that spotlights a long-simmering controversy about a possible
link between childhood vaccinations and autism that has been rejected by the
mainstream medical establishment.

This month, federal officials conceded that 9-year-old Hannah Poling of
Athens, Ga., should be awarded damages from a federal vaccine-injury fund
because vaccines worsened a rare mitochondrial dysfunction, a problem
involving cell metabolism. This, they said, led to autism-like symptoms.

"I'm hoping this will break the issue wide open," said Pope, 52, a former
emergency room nurse and Air Force major.

Boyd Haley, a University of Kentucky chemistry and biochemistry professor
who was an expert witness in support of the Poling case, argues that the
vaccine preservative thimerosal, which contains mercury, can cause autism
and mitochondrial dysfunction.

"This young girl probably didn't have a disorder until'' she was exposed to
thimerosal, Haley said.

Autism cases rise
There is little dispute that autism has risen dramatically in recent
decades; it now affects an estimated one in 150 children. In Kentucky, more
than 24,000 residents have autism spectrum disorder, up from about 1,500 in
1990.

But many experts strongly disagree that vaccines have anything to do with
the increase, attributing it instead to wider and better diagnosis. Some
theorize that genetic and unknown environmental factors may combine to cause
autism, and they view the Poling case as an exception rather than a
precedent.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say "the weight of the
evidence indicates that vaccines are not associated with autism" and cite an
Institute of Medicine review saying much the same.

The CDC also says that while children get more vaccines than in the past --
five in a day is no longer unusual -- thimerosal generally hasn't been used
as a preservative in routine childhood vaccines since 2001. The exception is
some flu vaccines, although more than 10 million doses of thimerosal-free
vaccine were expected to be produced for this flu season - using prefilled
syringes or vials that don't require preservatives.

Despite this change, a January study from California, published in the
Archives of General Psychiatry, concluded that there hasn't been any recent
decrease in autism in that state.

"There are scores of studies in millions of children that show absolutely no
link between any vaccines and autism. Yet this idea persists, and every once
in a while this fire is fed fuel," said Gary Marshall, chief of the division
of pediatric infectious diseases at the University of Louisville School of
Medicine. "The parents latch onto it because they're looking for a cause. .

"The public health emergency is that if parents don't vaccinate their
children, it will not be long before we see these diseases raise their ugly
heads again."

5,000 pending cases
Almost 5,000 families of children with autism have cases pending through the
National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program, which allows people to file
claims if they believe a vaccine seriously injured them or their children.

Media reports say the Polings' exact compensation hasn't been decided.

Several Kentucky and Indiana parents, who sat in a circle sharing their
stories at a preschool program called Endeavor in Louisville, said they hope
the Poling case leads to more money for autism research -- a hope shared by
many on the other side of the issue.

"It sends a big, loud message to the medical community," Betsy Gibbs of
Louisville said as her daughter Elizabeth, 14, rested her head on her
mother's lap.

Gibbs, 43, said vaccines harmed Elizabeth as a baby, and a shot for measles,
mumps and rubella "really sent her over the edge."

Rachel Lu of Louisville, 39, also blamed the MMR vaccine, saying her son
Noah screamed and suffered severe diarrhea within 24 hours of being
immunized as a baby. Now 5, he was diagnosed with autism at age 2, and Lu
suspects the disorder also affects her younger son, 3-year-old Chase.

Although Marshall said MMR has never included thimerosal, a British
researcher led a high-profile but controversial 1998 study of 12 children
suggesting a link between live viruses in the vaccine, bowel inflammation
and autism. Several authors involved later retracted their initial
interpretations.

Steve and Stephanie Shultz of Louisville, whose 4-year-old twins Ryan and
Cody were diagnosed with autism in December, said they think vaccines might
have triggered a genetic predisposition in their children.

The boys speak mostly in single words and socialize far less than typical
children. On a recent morning at Endeavor, Cody sat perfectly still,
oblivious to two nearby teachers, mesmerized by a video showing signs to
help children with autism communicate.

As the couple struggles with their children's disability, they said they
don't think the government will ever fully concede a vaccine-autism link.
"They're going to do all they can to fight any liability they might have,"
said Steve Shultz, 42.

Complicating factors
Some parents said they believe the link between vaccines and autism is
complicated by other factors.

Todd Popson of Sellersburg, Ind., said he thinks his son, Jeremy, had a
genetic predisposition and might have gotten too many vaccines at once. A
father of six, Popson said he has had his other children vaccinated, but on
a different schedule so they didn't get as many at the same time.

Lisa Neal, whose 8-year-old son Jonathan has autism, is one of several
parents who said their children might have more difficulty than usual
eliminating certain toxins. She had Jonathan tested for heavy-metal
toxicity, she said, and the amount of lead and other toxins was "off the
charts," despite never having lived in a house with lead paint.

"I do think vaccines played a part in his injury," Neal, 44, said. "But I
don't think it was one thing. I think it was everything."

Haley said mercury is the particular toxin at fault and cited several
studies showing its toxic effect. "We showed at the University of Kentucky
that if you take neurons (nerve cells that send and receive messages) in
culture and add thimerosal, it will kill them," he said.

He said the rise in autism occurred just after children started getting more
vaccines. "Since 1988," a 1995 CDC report said, "the U.S. childhood
immunization schedule has rapidly expanded to accommodate the introduction
of new, universally recommended vaccines."

Now that new vaccines don't use thimerosal, Haley said he would expect the
numbers of children with autism to eventually go down. But he said many
doctors and clinics gave vaccines with the preservative even after 2001, so
the California study showing a continuing increase was done too early.

"I'm not anti-vaccine," Haley said. "I'm just for a safe vaccine."

Anecdotal link?
Many doctors are just as passionate that the only connection between
vaccines and autism is that the condition often shows its first symptoms
around the time babies typically get shots.

Marshall said the link is purely anecdotal and cannot be given equal weight
to the vast scientific evidence disputing it.

A transcript of a recent press briefing on the Poling case quoted Dr. Julie
Gerberding, the CDC director, as saying, "Let me be clear that government
has made absolutely no statement about indicating that vaccines are a cause
of autism." To suggest that "is a complete mischaracterization of the
findings of the case and a complete mischaracterization of any of the
science that we have at our disposal today."

Dr. Edwin Trevathan, director of the CDC's National Center for Birth Defects
and Developmental Disabilities, spoke about the mitochrondrial dysfunction
affecting children such as Hannah Poling.

He said such children can appear normal initially, but when placed under
stress, such as infections, fever or malnutrition "are actually somewhat
predestined to have a regression of neurological function."

Trevathan said researchers don't yet know whether vaccines, independent of
things like high fevers, can cause regression in children with mitochondrial
disorders.

While some parents have suggested children with autism might have
higher-than-average rates of mitochondrial disorders, Trevathan said there
are little data on the subject, and Dr. Joseph Hersh, director of U of L's
Weisskopf Child Evaluation Center, said they probably don't.

Other symptoms
Autism-like symptoms are only one way the condition can present itself,
Hersh said; others include muscle weakness or cardiac disease. He said
parents whose children have mitochondrial disorders should discuss the
vaccine issue with their doctors.

But experts say the vast majority of children with autism don't have
mitochondrial disorders -- and many of their parents reject the idea of a
vaccine-autism link.

Loralyn Cecil, 39, of Lexington, and Dr. Erich Maul, 36, a UK pediatrics
hospitalist, both said they suspected problems with their sons in the first
few months of life. For example, Maul said his son, Charlie, now 7, wouldn't
look at him and his wife. Both Cecil and Maul said that they believe the
disorder is largely genetic and that there might be more than one cause.

But overall, Maul said, focusing so much on the cause draws energy from
something at least as important -- treating and caring for children with
autism.

"This is the situation you have," Maul said. "God gives the special kids to
the special families who can take care of them and love them."

Reporter Laura Ungar can be reached at (502) 582-7190.

Old April 4th 08, 03:31 AM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,talk.politics.medicine,misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.environment
Ilena Rose

Myrl Jeffcoat claimed:

"Depending on which news accounts presented regarding Hannah Poling,
it was reported that her mother stated that Hannah received as many as
9 vaccines at once. "

Note from Ilena: I have read every account I could find and found
nothing to substantiate Myrl's claim. I have read she had 5 at once
.... never 9. If this can be substantiated, I would like to see it.

I will post some very interesting information about the magnitude of
the autism / vaccination link ... and how vast a network of
disinformation agents, post industry confusion and propaganda at every
level in a joint concerted effort to protect the Vaccination and
Insurance Industries. It's all about keeping the billions and billions
in the Vaccination coffers.

This article made some excellent points ...

EXCERPT: To date, over $1.5 billion has been paid out ( post-1988 and
pre-1988). That's a surprisingly large number for injuries caused by
vaccines promoted as perfectly safe -- and it doesn't begin to tell
the real story. As it turns out, over 75% of all claims for permanent
immune system and brain damage following immunization of the mandated
vaccines are rejected for payment by the fund. That would put the true
cost in the US alone at over $6 billion dollars, not to mention the
far larger number of people who do not even know the fund exists and,
therefore, never file at all. Total it up and you're now looking at a
rather frighteningly high injury cost for "safe, mandated childhood
vaccinations."

May God protect this author and those of us who are uncovering the
vaccination industry cover-up to the true potential harm of
vaccinations.

Mark S Probert, a Vaccination Disinformation Agent, a disbarred NY
State attorney,and an investigator for insurance companies ...
publishes industry propaganda as fact.
http://www.BreastImplantAwareness.or...stprobert.html

"This seems to be a fair and balanced analysis about vaccines and
autism."

Probert, close minded vaccination shill proclaims:

"There is no such thing. The evidence clearly shows that there is no
relationship between the two. There is NO NEED for balance.

It is like debating sunrise. "

~~~~~

If he and his Snake-oil Vigilante Team can keep the Vaccination Con
going long enough ... it will be a financial coup of huge proportion
for those 2 industries.

http://www.BreastImplantAwareness.or...m#Mark-Probert

http://www.zimbio.com/vaccine+techno...ation+Children

In the wisdom of modern medicine, we have created vaccines to
"pre-build memory" for our immune systems -- memories of significant
diseases we have never had, such as measles, mumps, polio, diphtheria,
small pox, etc. Vaccines contain a weakened sterilized version of
microorganisms (or proteins from those microorganisms) that is capable
of producing an immune response in the body without inducing a
full-blown onset of the disease itself. Although vaccines have played
a significant role in helping reduce the number of deaths among
children, this benefit has not come without cost.

As I mentioned in Lessons from the Miracle Doctors, I have a strong
emotional attachment to this issue, which makes it impossible for me
to be objective. My youngest brother, Peter, was one of those "small
percentage" of children who responded badly to the series of
immunization shots he received back in the early 60s. I was there
after the first two shots when he ran high fevers and cried all night.
I was there when my mother called the pediatrician each time, only to
be reassured that it was nothing to worry about. And I was there after
the third shot, when my mother and I took turns holding Peter and
rocking him to try and comfort him as he screamed at the top of his
lungs for hours on end, ran a fever of 105, and convulsed. As it turns
out, the pediatrician was wrong. My brother, along with thousands of
other children (unfortunately, even a small percentage, when applied
to a large number, still equals thousands of children), reacted to the
shots that ultimately left him severely retarded. Although the
manufacturer of the vaccine had indications that this was a
possibility, they had not made it clear to the pediatricians who used
it. Also, before 1990, doctors were not legally obligated to report
adverse reactions to vaccines to the Centers for Disease Control; and,
even with the current legal obligation, it's estimated that only 10%
of doctors report the damage they see to the CDC. This sort of
reaction to a vaccine and this sort of irresponsibility by a
pharmaceutical company are not as anomalous as you might think.
Paralytic Polio

The polio vaccine is considered one of the great success stories of
modern medicine. Maybe yes, maybe no! Jonas Salk testified before a
Senate subcommittee that since 1961, except for a few importations
from other countries, all cases of polio have been caused by the Oral
Polio Vaccine. In fact, over a number of years, Jonas Salk and Albert
Sabin each accused the other's vaccine of causing polio.
Unfortunately, they were both right!

First, Jonas Salk's vaccine was responsible for one of the worst
pharmaceutical disasters ever. Just two weeks after the release of his
"miracle" polio vaccine, a series of telephone calls about a strange
outbreak of paralysis in children in California started pouring in. In
each case, paralysis occurred in the arm that was inoculated with
Salk's vaccine, and in each case the vaccine was made by Cutter
Laboratories. Cutter's vaccine was immediately recalled, but 380,000
doses had already been administered -- mostly to healthy first- and
second-graders. Within months, the Communicable Diseases Center in
Atlanta found that Cutter's vaccine had caused 40,000 cases of mild
polio, 200 cases of permanent paralysis, and 10 deaths. It was one of
the worst pharmaceutical disasters in American history.

But the Salk vaccine was not alone in causing polio. Salk was correct
when he implicated the Sabin oral vaccine in causing polio. The oral
polio vaccine contains a weakened version of the poliovirus,
activating an immune response in the body. As it turns out, in rare
instances, the virus in the vaccine can mutate into a form that can
paralyze. When this virus regains the ability to circulate, it is
called a circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus (cVDPV). As I said, it
is rare -- about 200 cases in the US over the last decade. But if
you're one of those cases, rare doesn't matter.

And finally, there is strong evidence that the original polio epidemic
itself in the late 1940s was caused (or at least greatly exacerbated)
by another vaccine. The early triple vaccine against diphtheria,
whooping cough, and tetanus has been shown beyond doubt to cause
paralytic polio in some children to whom it was administered. The
incidence of polio in children vaccinated with this shot was
statistically greater than in unvaccinated children. This scandal
broke in Britain during 1949, an epidemic year for polio; other
reports soon followed from Australia.
SV40

But it's not just polio, there's also SV40, the monkey virus. The
polio vaccine that was given to children in the 50s and 60s was not as
sterilized as originally thought. In fact, when better test equipment
was later used, it was found that there were over 140 live viruses in
those early versions of the polio vaccine. This is not speculation. A
1999 study affirmed that unique strains of SV40 in commercial polio
vaccines from 1955 were not readily identifiable with then current
testing for SV40 infection. With what result? Well for one thing, SV40
is strongly implicated in a number of cancers, including brain cancer.

In 2002, three leading SV40 experts (Drs. Gazdar, Butel and Carbone)
published their findings that SV40 should be included in the list of
group 2A carcinogens. For perspective, Group 2A includes: Human
papilloma virus and Kaposi's sarcoma herpes virus/human herpes virus.

In their book, The Virus and the Vaccine: The True Story of a
Cancer-Causing Monkey Virus, Contaminated Polio Vaccine, and the
Millions of Americans Exposed, Debbie Bookchin and Jim Schumacher
state that between 1997 and early 2003, more than 25 published studies
found SV40 in human mesotheliomas; 16 others found the virus in brain
and bone cancers, lymphomas, and other cancers, and in kidneys and
peripheral blood. As of 2003, SV40 had been found in human tumors in
18 developed countries. Bookchin and Schumacher claim that the rates
of SV40-positive tumors seem highest in countries that used the
greatest amount of contaminated Salk polio vaccine, including the UK,
USA, and Italy.
Thimerosal

In addition to the "active" part of the vaccine, the vaccine includes
substances such as ethylene glycol (antifreeze), formaldehyde (a known
carcinogen), and aluminum…and, of course, thimerosal, the mercury
based preservative.

Every couple of months, a new study or medical pronouncement is
released "claiming" that thimerosal is safe -- that it doesn't cause
autism. But the claims of safety are inaccurate, and the claims
related to autism too limited.

Recently, for example, an Argentinean study was released that found,
"the levels of thimerosal [in childhood vaccinations] don't go very
high and they go down right away. By the time it's time for the next
dose of vaccine, the levels are right back to where they were at the
beginning." The study found that the half-life of ethyl mercury in the
blood -- the time it takes for the body to get rid of half the
mercury, and then another half, and so on -- was 3.7 days. That's
significantly less than the half-life of methyl mercury, the kind
found in fish, at 44 days. Bottom line: according to the study's
authors, the study proved that the controversial mercury-containing
preservative thimerosal is rapidly excreted from babies' bodies and
can't build up to toxic levels.

Unfortunately, the data showed no such thing.

According to the study's methodology, the infants in the study were
put into three age groups and their blood-mercury levels were tested
both before and after vaccinations were given to newborns, and at
their two- and six-month checkups.

Excuse me, but let's use our brains here for a moment -- assuming they
haven't been damaged by exposure to mercury.

Just because blood levels of mercury drop doesn't necessarily mean
that the mercury has been excreted from the body -- only that it has
left the bloodstream. Those are two very different conclusions. Since
the study didn't monitor urine levels of mercury, there's no way to
tell if it left the body. In fact, experience tells us that mercury
does not easily leave the body, that it in fact "electrically binds"
with soft tissue, bones, and even brain matter. If anything, the study
should potentially raise alarm bells -- indicting that ethyl mercury
binds with cellular tissue and locks into the body far faster than
methyl mercury. Without the urine testing, there's no way to know.

Bottom line: Mercury does not easily "metabolize" and pass out of the
body. It remains for years and years locked to body tissue. If you
want to get rid of it, you have to chelate it out. Make no mistake,
this study has not proven thimerosal safe. It may not cause autism,
but that doesn't mean that it's safe.

In fact, it's no secret that mercury is one of the most toxic metals
known. Numerous studies have shown its impact on health. There is
strong evidence that mercury lowers T-Cell counts. This, alone,
implicates it in cancer, autoimmune diseases, allergies, Candida
overgrowth, and multiple sclerosis. In fact, due to other studies that
showed mercuric chloride increased several types of tumors in rats and
mice, and methyl mercury caused kidney tumors in male mice, the EPA
has determined that mercuric chloride and methyl mercury are possible
human carcinogens. It has also been shown that mercury cuts the oxygen
carrying capacity of blood by half. This would account for many
instances of chronic fatigue.

Mercury also has an affinity for brain tissue and is implicated in
brain tumors and dementia (think mad as a hatter). And, finally,
mercury has an affinity for fetal tissue, which accounts for its
implication in birth defects. In 2002, the National Academy of
Sciences found strong evidence for the toxicity of methyl mercury to
children's developing brains, even at low levels of exposure. A 2005
study from the Centers for Disease Control found that as many as
637,233 American children are born each year with mercury levels of
more than 5.8 µg/L (5.8 micrograms per liter), the level associated
with brain damage and loss of IQ.

To be sure, some study may ultimately prove that injecting infants
with the second most toxic metal known to man (just behind plutonium)
is safe, but no study so far has proven that -- not by a long shot
(all puns intended)..

And of course, there is the recent court ruling on Hannah Poling that
found that the vaccinations she received "significantly aggravated an
underlying mitochondrial disorder, which predisposed her to deficits
in cellular energy metabolism, and manifested as a regressive
encephalopathy with features of autism spectrum disorder."
VICP

On October 1, 1988, the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act of 1986
(Public Law 99-660) created the National Vaccine Injury Compensation
Program (VICP). Officially, the VICP was established to ensure an
adequate supply of vaccines, stabilize vaccine costs, and establish
and maintain an accessible and efficient forum for individuals found
to be injured by certain vaccines. In reality, it was designed to
protect vaccine manufacturers from lawsuits so that they would not
feel "legally" constrained in their ability to produce vaccines as
necessary. Indeed, it was established in response to a liability
crisis centering around children's vaccines -- specifically, the same
DTP immunization shots which had destroyed my brother's brain some
years earlier. The VICP is a no-fault alternative to the traditional
tort system for resolving vaccine injury claims that provides
compensation to people found to be injured by certain vaccines.

To date, over $1.5 billion has been paid out ( post-1988 and
pre-1988). That's a surprisingly large number for injuries caused by
vaccines promoted as perfectly safe -- and it doesn't begin to tell
the real story. As it turns out, over 75% of all claims for permanent
immune system and brain damage following immunization of the mandated
vaccines are rejected for payment by the fund. That would put the true
cost in the US alone at over $6 billion dollars, not to mention the
far larger number of people who do not even know the fund exists and,
therefore, never file at all. Total it up and you're now looking at a
rather frighteningly high injury cost for "safe, mandated childhood
vaccinations."

Note: On average, in the United States, children are now required to
receive some 33 doses of 9 different vaccines in order to attend
school.
The success of vaccines

Okay, we've dealt with the myth that vaccines are perfectly safe and
looked at their downside. But there is also a myth that vaccines do
not work, and that is equally untrue.

* 12 vaccine preventable diseases and disease rates have been
reduced by 99% in the U.S. These include mumps, measles, diphtheria,
whooping cough/pertussis, and tetanus to name a few.
* 50 years ago in the United States, polio paralyzed more than
16,000 children and killed nearly 2,000 annually. That doesn't happen
any more
* The Global Polio Eradication Initiative, spearheaded by the
World Health Organization, Rotary International, the CDC and UNICEF,
was begun in 1988. That year, an estimated 350,000 children were
paralyzed with polio worldwide; in 2004, polio cases had fallen to
just over 1,200 cases globally.
* And Smallpox.

On the other hand, much of this success may not be related to
vaccinations at all. Statistical evidence clearly indicates that the
mortality rates of most of the diseases that vaccines have claimed
victory over were already dropping precipitously even before the
vaccine was introduced. In fact, in most cases, you can't even notice
a statistical blip after the introduction of vaccines. To be fair,
mortality rates are not the same as incidence rates and can be
reflective of better medical care.
Parents opting out of immunization

There is now a fairly substantial movement of parents who wish to
avoid childhood immunizations. To be sure, all states except
Mississippi and West Virginia allow a religious exemption to
vaccination for those people who hold a sincere religious belief
opposing vaccination such that it would be an infringement on their
right to exercise their religious beliefs. Some 20 states also allow
exemptions for parents whose "personal beliefs" prompt them to skip
vaccination for their children. In 1991, approximately 1% of children
in the US went unvaccinated. By 2004, that number was up to 2.5%. At
first glance, 2.5% might not seem like a big deal, but with
approximately 40 million children under the age of 10, you're talking
upwards of 1 million unvaccinated children.
The downside

Yes, there is a downside. One of the main reasons that parents can
successfully opt their children out of vaccination programs is because
those programs have been somewhat successful.

Last month in San Diego, 12 kids fell ill with the measles, a once
common childhood disease now rarely seen in this country. Nine of the
kids had skipped vaccination because their parents objected; the other
three were too young to receive the vaccine. As Dr. Mark Sawyer, a
pediatrician and infectious disease specialist at Rady Children's
Hospital in San Diego, told the New York Times, "The very success of
immunizations has turned out to be an Achilles' heel. Most of these
parents have never seen measles, and don't realize it could be a bad
disease so they turn their concerns to unfounded risks. They do not
perceive risk of the disease but perceive risk of the vaccine."

On the other hand, Dr. Sawyer would have a harder time using lack of
immunization as an excuse for an outbreak of mumps in 2006 that
infected over 400 people, considering that all but one of the infected
Kansas students had received two doses of the Measles/Mumps/Rubella
vaccine.

And then, of course, a whooping cough outbreak in Children's Hospital
in Boston in 2006, also had nothing to do with lack of immunizations,
but rather, appears to have been caused by a surgeon who contracted
the disease while on military reserve duty and brought it back to the
hospital.
Conclusion

So where does that leave us?

In opposing ideological war rooms, we find the anti-vaccination
movement that sees no benefit in any vaccination program and the
medical establishment that believes, like Dr. Sawyer, that no possible
vaccine should be left unused. And on the actual battlefield, we find
parents like Sybil Carlson, who is quoted in the NYT article as
saying, "I refuse to sacrifice my children for the greater good"
opposed by government bureaucrats who look to mandate an ever
increasing number of questionable vaccines.

What to do? What to do? What to do?

Unfortunately, the answer is not clear cut. And even what is known is
far more nuanced than black and white. Even Mr. Spock's logical dictum
from Star Trek "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"
is not black and white in this case. Why? Consider what we've
discussed.

* Yes, you can make the case that childhood vaccinations have
dramatically helped to reduce infant mortality.
* On the other hand, statistical evidence shows that they deserve
far less credit for reducing this mortality than they receive.
* And yes, as Mr. Spock would say, society has the right to
protect itself from massive outbreaks of disease even if a small
percentage of children are harmed.
* But do society's representatives have the right to deliberately
lie about the dangers inherent in mandated vaccinations?
* And where does it stop? Does the government have the right to
mandate that preschoolers get vaccinated for the flu every year, or
for HPV, or even for HIV before a vaccine is even proven to work?
* And what do you tell the thousands of children throughout the
world (as small as the percentage might be) when their brains are
destroyed, or they get cancer, or asthma? What should I have told my
brother, whom I was very close to, before he passed away -- that he
died for the greater good?

Look, I'm not saying vaccines should be eliminated (besides, that's
not going to happen anyway) -- just that we should use a lot more
discrimination than we are at the moment in their application.
Eventually, it's possible that new techniques of genetic engineering,
by being able to totally isolate the offending antigen, may be able to
offer a safer form of vaccine. But until that day…

* We need to be a lot more selective as to which vaccines are
mandated and which are discretionary.
* We need to remove any ingredients like Thimerosal that give rise
to any question concerning their safety. Wasting time on studies
"proving" that thimerosal may not cause autism is unconscionable.
Let's get real here. Mercury is one of the most toxic substances known
to man. Its effects are cumulative. It doesn't easily leave the body.
Just because it may not cause autism doesn't mean it isn't slowly
killing you. Thimerosal can be easily replaced in any vaccine. Not
doing so undermines any credibility the medical community has
regarding their concern for public safety.
* We need to have full disclosure on the true benefits of
vaccination programs -- not the inflated propaganda numbers currently
touted. And we need full disclosure concerning the side effects and
resultant injuries.
* And finally, we need to update programs like the VICP that keep
their figures artificially rosy by rejecting ľ of all injury claims.

And for those of you who choose not to immunize your children, there
is a cautionary that may alter the equation. As long as most of the
children in your neighborhood are getting immunized, then the
likelihood of your child contracting a serious childhood illness is
minimal -- and in most first world countries that has been true for
some time. But with the increase in globalization, the increase in
travel from third world countries as economies shift, the increase in
immigration from poorer to wealthier countries, that protective cocoon
is disappearing. Every day, the risk of exposure to long absent
childhood diseases is increasing. You now have to weigh that
increasing, but unknown, risk against the very real risks inherent in
many of the vaccines now available that might offer a modicum of
protection. And that's your call -- not mine, nor the government's (at
least for now).
Old April 4th 08, 05:04 AM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,talk.politics.medicine,misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.environment
(David P.)

Ilena Rose wrote:

We believe autism is an environmental
illness. Vaccines are not the only
environmental trigger, but we do think
they play a major role.
~~~~~~~~~~

Perhaps the autistic used to mostly die
of childhood diseases, and the modern
program of vaccination & immunization
instead allows them to proliferate!
..
..
Old April 4th 08, 12:19 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.environment,alt.support.autism
Mark Probert

On Apr 3, 9:43*pm, "Muddle" wrote:
I'm sorry for not understanding why you people post to alt.support.autism
information that isn't well received by those who actually have autism. *Do
you get some perverse pleasure from riling up the autistic community, or
what?

Yes, they do get a perverse enjoyment of of lecturing to those who
know about autism because they live with it. These people all hate
vaccinations and love dead and disabled children.

That is why I call them the Merchants of Disease, Disability and
Death.
Old April 4th 08, 12:20 PM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.environment,alt.support.autism
Mark Probert

On Apr 3, 9:51*pm, Bob Badour wrote:
Muddle wrote:
I'm sorry for not understanding why you people post to alt.support.autism
information that isn't well received by those who actually have autism. *Do
you get some perverse pleasure from riling up the autistic community, or
what?

She's either a crank or a troll. Take your pick.

You left out other choices:

A cranky troll or a trolling crank.

update on my recovery (bit of bad news) Anne Rogers Pregnancy 4 February 2nd 07 10:41 PM
Ilena Rosenthal, Bart Ross and Joe McCarthy Mark Probert Kids Health 6 March 12th 05 03:39 PM
Jenny Lind Bed Parts mypet Pregnancy 11 September 16th 04 12:28 PM
recovery after tubal ted Pregnancy 1 February 25th 04 07:01 PM
Recovery from c-section shaz Pregnancy 8 November 13th 03 05:27 AM