Sushi?

Old August 26th 06, 11:02 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
New York Jen

Default Sushi?

Just curious how many of you eat or have eaten raw sushi while pregnant. I
avoided it with my first two children, but have done some research and also
know the restaurant I'd be eating in and I'm tempted to have some tomorrow
night.

- Jen

--
visit http://www.cutethreads.com
Tie Dyed Clothing, Embroidery, Dresses

Old August 27th 06, 02:45 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Pologirl

New York Jen wrote:
Just curious how many of you eat or have eaten raw sushi while pregnant.

I did, and do eat raw fish, but I am picky about it.

My view is that if you don't feel safe eating raw fish, raw eggs, soft
cheese, etc. while pregnant, you probably should never, ever eat it.
KISS, you know?

While pregnant, I avoid the same foods that I avoid at all other times.
They include all meats and cheese sliced in a supermarket, and my
number one YUCK: any raw meat cubed or ground in a supermarket.

Old August 27th 06, 02:46 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
agent99

New York Jen wrote:
Just curious how many of you eat or have eaten raw sushi while pregnant. I
avoided it with my first two children, but have done some research and also
know the restaurant I'd be eating in and I'm tempted to have some tomorrow
night.

- Jen

Mmmm, I ate no raw, no tuna (9 months of craving negitoro maki!!). But
I did eat soft cheeses and pates and so on, sparingly, which are
apparently a no-no due to the listeria risk.

Were I you, I'd probably go for it.

99

Old August 27th 06, 04:16 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
patty and adam

"New York Jen" wrote in message
Just curious how many of you eat or have eaten raw sushi while pregnant.
I avoided it with my first two children, but have done some research and
also know the restaurant I'd be eating in and I'm tempted to have some
tomorrow night.

- Jen

I too avoided raw sushi with my first pregnancy. This time however I had
such a craving that I had some. I went to a reputable restaurant and had
salmon and tuna. That was a month ago and I'm still standing!

Patty

Old August 27th 06, 07:39 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Check with the restaurant. If the fish has been frozen prior to being
served, it's not technically "raw." The biggest worries are dead after
freezing ( tapeworms, etc) especially the deep freezing they use for
sushi-grade fish. I've eaten at several reputable restaurants, I can't
NOT have it! I've eaten it throughout this entire pregnancy, sparingly,
but probably once a month or so.

Just make sure to avoid the mercury-fish. Swordfish, ahi, mahi-mahi,
any large-open ocean fish. Good choices are hamachi (yellowtail) salmon
(BEST), eel, hirame(halibut), and most shrimp are okay. (Plus the
shrimp is cooked, unless you're having amebi) avoid clams, mussels,
urchins, and squid/octopus. These guys have high mercury levels, too.

Make sure the fish doesn't smell "fishy"! You should be fine, though.
My only problem is that I'm due Tuesday, and she isn't here yet!!!!!
:-P

Old August 28th 06, 01:30 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Elle

New York Jen wrote:
Just curious how many of you eat or have eaten raw sushi while pregnant. I
avoided it with my first two children, but have done some research and also
know the restaurant I'd be eating in and I'm tempted to have some tomorrow
night.

- Jen

Mmm, just ate some last night It was delicious and from a reputable
sushi joint. I would never eat questionable sushi, pregnant or no!

I'm also trying to figure out the deal with feta -- pretty much all
garden-variety cheese in Canada is pasteurized but several pregnant
women have told me feta is a no-no because of mould? Anyone know what's
up with that?

Elle

Old August 28th 06, 07:14 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Elle wrote:
New York Jen wrote:
Just curious how many of you eat or have eaten raw sushi while
pregnant. I avoided it with my first two children, but have done
some research and also know the restaurant I'd be eating in and I'm
tempted to have some tomorrow night.

- Jen

Mmm, just ate some last night It was delicious and from a
reputable sushi joint. I would never eat questionable sushi, pregnant
or no!

I'm also trying to figure out the deal with feta -- pretty much all
garden-variety cheese in Canada is pasteurized but several pregnant
women have told me feta is a no-no because of mould? Anyone know
what's up with that?

Elle

The only thing I've heard about feta or other soft cheeses is listeria and
not being pasturized. But if they are made with pasturized milk you should
be fine there. And if they are packaged correctly and vacuum sealed, you
should be fine in the listeria front. I've never heard of the mold issue.
Maybe she is thinking of blue type cheeses, but even then...
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Old August 28th 06, 08:44 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

"New York Jen" wrote in message
Just curious how many of you eat or have eaten raw sushi while pregnant.
I avoided it with my first two children, but have done some research and
also know the restaurant I'd be eating in and I'm tempted to have some
tomorrow night.

I did, I think, I'm never quite sure what anything is! I was in Korea at the
time and the general impression I got as sushi is more risk in the west
where is is often less fresh, than in places like Japan and Korea.

Anne

Old August 29th 06, 07:27 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

The only thing I've heard about feta or other soft cheeses is listeria and
not being pasturized. But if they are made with pasturized milk you
should be fine there. And if they are packaged correctly and vacuum
sealed, you should be fine in the listeria front. I've never heard of the
mold issue. Maybe she is thinking of blue type cheeses, but even then...

there is also the other type of mould, the phrase "mould ripened cheeses"
which is referring to cheeses like brie and camenbert, that grow there own
rind, for some reason whether pasturised or not, these ones are considered
not ok, tis all very confusing!

Anne

Old August 29th 06, 08:16 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
alath

Just make sure to avoid the mercury-fish. Swordfish, ahi, mahi-mahi,

I knew ahi was on this list, but have not seen mahi-mahi on lists of
fish to avoid due to mercury. I have seen mahi-mahi, and they are not
terribly large fish.

Also, I have to wonder whether this concern is justified. Surely, if
eating large ocean fish is such a hazard, one would expect that Japan,
Korea, Scandanavia, etc., would have very high rates of mercury
poisoning due to the amount of fish in their diets. Are we sure this is
a real risk and not just another public health scare?

Party Ideas... Jamie Clark Pregnancy 20 August 7th 05 03:22 PM
Sushi and Cold Cuts CY Pregnancy 11 December 16th 04 02:23 AM
Unsafe to eat and drink during pregnancy? Jody Pellerin Pregnancy 6 December 16th 03 11:37 PM
Edible 'sushi' vaccines (and edible plant vaccines) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 October 6th 03 10:48 PM