Boy, 12, dies from heart failure after using too much deodorant

Old November 21st 08, 11:59 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med,alt.support.mce

Default Boy, 12, dies from heart failure after using too much deodorant

Pay attention to what your kids are doing.

Boy, 12, dies from heart failure after using too much deodorant
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/3489465/.html

A 12-year-old boy's heart failed after he used too much Lynx Vice
deodorant, an inquest heard.
Last Updated: 1:50PM GMT 20 Nov 2008

Daniel Hurley, from Sandiacre, Derbyshire, was found collapsed in his
bathroom by his father Robert Hurley after using the deodorant, a coroner
was told.

Derby Coroner's Court heard that use of the spray in a confined space led
to Daniel suffering a cardiac arrhythmia.

Mr Hurley tried to revive his son but he died at the Queen's Medical
Centre in Nottingham on January 12, five days after he was found.

Mr Hurley told the inquest: "He was always putting gel on his hair and
spraying deodorant and it was quite common for him to spray his clothing
as well.

"The bathroom is adjacent to the kitchen and I made some tea and shouted
into the bathroom to see if he was OK.

"I heard nothing so I shouted again but did not get a reply. I forced the
door open and found Daniel in the bath."

Consultant pathologist Dr Andrew Hitchcock, who carried out the post
mortem examination on Daniel, told the inquest yesterday that there was no
evidence he had abused alcohol or drugs.

Derby and South Derbyshire Coroner Dr Robert Hunter recorded a verdict of
accidental death.

Dr Hunter said he was satisfied that Unilever, which manufactures the Lynx
brand, provided enough warning on its cans that excessive amounts of the
deodorant should not be used in a confined space.

He said: "It seems the presence of a volatile agent caused the cardiac
arrhythmia. Daniel copiously used deodorant in the bathroom.

"I do not know how many people read the warnings about exposure awareness.
But people need to know about the risks that these products have on the
cardio-vascular system."

Old November 22nd 08, 08:53 AM
jackie0109 jackie0109 is offline
Banned

That news is alarming and I also read a news article before that some perfumes are really that hazardous to humans because of it's huge chemical content.