Strep throat, Dr says not to bf...

Old December 15th 03, 04:58 PM
Marvin L. Zinn

Default Strep throat, Dr says not to bf...

Kate,

And actually I am a doctor, but nothing I say can or should be held
against me :-)

A medical license is not valid for immunity from criticism.

Marvin

Marvin L. Zinn
Reply to:
Using Virtual Access
Windows 2000 build 2600

Old December 16th 03, 02:11 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

Default Update - Strep throat, Dr says not to bf...

Jodie wrote:

I'm happy to say that I'm on the
(slow) mend and we are all doing well.

Yay! Glad to hear it.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old December 27th 03, 07:07 AM
Chookie

In article ,
(Lara) wrote:

What is strep throat,

Throat infection/tonsillitis/pharyngitis, with the Streptococcus
pyogenes bacterium.

I'm just wondering why people are diagnosed down to the bacterium. I just get
diagnosed with tonsillitis/pharyngitis.

and what's the connection with milkshakes?

It hurts.

Better change flavours then :-)

What about tea, chicken soup, or honey-and-lemon?

Also, you can gargle with salt to kill the germies, or with paracetamol or
aspirin to dull the pain a bit (swallow if using a painkiller).

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc
Old December 27th 03, 01:35 PM
Nina

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
(Lara) wrote:

What is strep throat,

Throat infection/tonsillitis/pharyngitis, with the Streptococcus
pyogenes bacterium.

I'm just wondering why people are diagnosed down to the bacterium. I just

get
diagnosed with tonsillitis/pharyngitis.

To determine what the infection is, a throat can be infected with a virus or
it can be infected with Strep. To avoid complications, it needs to be
determined
problem is viral, or strep so there can be proper treatment. Some bacteria
are drug resistant, in some cases it needs to be known what strain of bug is
causing a problem so the proper medication can be given.

Old December 27th 03, 11:32 PM
Lara

Nina wrote:

"Chookie" wrote:
I'm just wondering why people are diagnosed down to the bacterium. I just
get diagnosed with tonsillitis/pharyngitis.

To determine what the infection is, a throat can be infected with a virus or
it can be infected with Strep.

Or a whole host of other bacteria. Some people seem to use "strep
throat" synonymously with "bad sore throat", which is the part that's
just plain wrong; viral sore throats can be just as painful. Even lab
diagnosis of strep throat is fraught with problems, as a large number of
people are asymptomatic strep carriers who will culture positive when
they have a viral sore throat.

Lara
Old December 29th 03, 09:52 AM
Chookie

In article ,
(Lara) wrote:

"Chookie" wrote:
I'm just wondering why people are diagnosed down to the bacterium. I just
get diagnosed with tonsillitis/pharyngitis.

To determine what the infection is, a throat can be infected with a virus or
it can be infected with Strep.

Or a whole host of other bacteria. Some people seem to use "strep
throat" synonymously with "bad sore throat", which is the part that's
just plain wrong; viral sore throats can be just as painful. Even lab
diagnosis of strep throat is fraught with problems, as a large number of
people are asymptomatic strep carriers who will culture positive when
they have a viral sore throat.

Probably explains why we don't bother with culturing sore throats! I suppose
I was asking why the culturing is necessary. Why not just wait a week to see
if matters improve, and if they haven't, consider antibiotics then?