When does your toddler sleep?

Old January 19th 04, 10:15 PM
Sara

Default When does your toddler sleep?

[also posted on misc.kids]

We've recently had more luck getting our 15 month old to sleep at
night, but we're still working out the kinks. One problem is that he
wants to stay up late at night -- he falls asleep at 10 pm at the
earliest, and that's after a struggle. He wakes up for the day between
6 and 7 am, and takes one or two naps (with great variety in nap
length from day to day). Perhaps he naps too late / too much / too
little during the day? Or should I just stop comparing my toddler to
the other toddlers we know, all of whom are sleeping their
toddlerhoods away?

So... those of you with 1 year olds... how many naps a day do they
take? When-ish? When do they go to bed? When do they wake up? How's
this working out for you?

--
Sara, accompanied by the no-I-won't-wake-up-from-my-nap-yet barnacle
Old January 19th 04, 10:21 PM
Rob and Laura

well izabella is almost 1 year old and she goes to bed around 10pm, and shes
up every 2 hours or so. and naps, what are they? she will not take a nap
for the life of me.!! I think the last nap she had was about 2.5 weeks ago!!
and come 8:30 am shes up for good, cause thats when DH gets home from work.

--
Laura, TTC #2
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

Old January 19th 04, 10:43 PM
Ducky Lawyer

Sara wrote:

So... those of you with 1 year olds... how many naps a day do they
take? When-ish? When do they go to bed? When do they wake up? How's
this working out for you?

My 13.5 mo girls have roughly the same 'schedule', which we have to
*manage* or else we're all up far too late and are tired and cranky (us
more than the girls, but anyway;..)

The ideal: On a workday for me - up at 7am, nap at noon, up at two,
bedtime routine started around 7pm, snoozing by 7:45, asleep by 8:15pm.
1 nursing each in the night (usu sometime between 1am and 3am).

The more realistic: up at 7am, fitful nap at noon for less than two
hours, up before two pm, cranky and possibly napping again around 5:30,
bedtime routine started around 8pm, nursing/snoozing between 9-10. In
cribs by 10pm.

On a weekend, we usually sleep in, and so end up having the girls nap
later, get up for the afternoon later, start dinner later, etc., etc. It
really upsets the apple cart of early nights, so to speak.

I'm working from home today and we accidentally slept in (all 4 of us).
So, we forsee a late night, and some tired people tomorrow (when I have
insist on 7am nursings for both).

HTH
Barbara

Old January 19th 04, 11:08 PM
Sue

When my girls were one years old, they were down to one nap a day, right
after lunch without fail. I would then put them to bed around 8-9 p.m. and
they would sleep until roughly 8-9 a.m the next morning. It worked very well
for me. I also babysat my nephew at that time and I personally needed to be
up around 7ish for him, but I had him on that schedule too. I didn't need to
do any sleep methods it just evolved into our sleep routine. At night, I
would give them a bath if it was bath night, feed them and rock them and
read books and put them to bed.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 20th 04, 01:11 AM
HollyLewis

We've recently had more luck getting our 15 month old to sleep at
night, but we're still working out the kinks. One problem is that he
wants to stay up late at night -- he falls asleep at 10 pm at the
earliest, and that's after a struggle. He wakes up for the day between
6 and 7 am, and takes one or two naps (with great variety in nap
length from day to day). Perhaps he naps too late / too much / too
little during the day? Or should I just stop comparing my toddler to
the other toddlers we know, all of whom are sleeping their
toddlerhoods away?

So... those of you with 1 year olds... how many naps a day do they
take? When-ish? When do they go to bed? When do they wake up? How's
this working out for you?

--
Sara, accompanied by the no-I-won't-wake-up-from-my-nap-yet barnacle

Sounds to me like he might be making the transition from two to one daily nap
-- pretty common around that age.

DS wakes up for the day usually around 8 to 8:30 a.m., takes one afternoon nap
of between 45 minutes and 2 hours, and goes to sleep at night at around 10 p.m.
(We've always tried for a 9 p.m.-ish bedtime but usually don't succeed.)

At 15 months, though, he was waking earlier in the morning and napping more. I
don't think yours has all that unusual a pattern, and though I imagine it's a
little frustrating not to be able to predict his naptimes, I doubt there's
anything unhealthy about it, as long as he is getting enough sleep overall.

Holly
Mom to Camden, almost 3
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old January 20th 04, 01:46 AM
Beth

"Sara" wrote in message
So... those of you with 1 year olds... how many naps a day do they
take?

Teddy is 13 mmonths old and takes one or two naps a day, usually one hour in
the morning and one hour in the afternoon. They vary.

When-ish?

Hours and lengths vary. The other pattern is for him to take a 2-hour
siesta over noon.

When do they go to bed? When do they wake up?

He goes to bed at 6 or 7 p.m. and wakes up around 6 a.m., with some stirring
to nurse inbetween.

How's
this working out for you?

Pretty well! The only thing is that he stirs around 3:45 or 4:30, o
sometimes I wake rather earlier than I want to.

Beth

Old January 20th 04, 03:32 AM
CY

This could exactly describe my DD (now 23 mths) at that age. We still
struggle with nap times. Our problem is that *I* am not a person who likes
schedules and therefore I have had a tough time, for example, getting up at
the same time every day, though I know that's something I *should* do. It's
very frustrating and I sympathize...No help whatsoever, I know, but at least
we can commiserate together!!

CY

Old January 20th 04, 04:10 AM
Ty

Hi,
Bethany is also 15 months old (the past two nights she has slept through the
night, the first time ever!! I thought about you this morning ;o). She is
usually up for the day between 7-8. She is ready for a nap between 10-11,
but will fight it if I try to get her to sleep before 11. So 11:00 it is. I
read somewhere they are ready for a nap about an hour and a half after they
wake up in the mornings, but for Bethany that is just too early. She sleeps
2-3 hours. She seems sleepy again around 4-5pm but refuses to nap. I do all
the naptime things and her eyes roll but she ends up crying to get down so
she never has a second nap. I just keep her happy until bedtime, which is
8pm.
I wish she'd take that second nap, but I have sat with her an hour quite a
few times trying to get her to sleep and she just won't have it.
I read in NCSS that when babies nap better, they sleep better at night. I
learned to go with the flow, and if Bethany seemed sleepy, to let her nap,
no matter what time it was. That helped with naptimes, until she stopped
taking nap2.
What happens when you try to get your son to bed earlier at night?
Marie

Old January 20th 04, 04:24 AM
Shannon G

"Sara" wrote in message
[also posted on misc.kids]

We've recently had more luck getting our 15 month old to sleep at
night, but we're still working out the kinks. One problem is that he
wants to stay up late at night -- he falls asleep at 10 pm at the
earliest, and that's after a struggle. He wakes up for the day between
6 and 7 am, and takes one or two naps (with great variety in nap
length from day to day). Perhaps he naps too late / too much / too
little during the day? Or should I just stop comparing my toddler to
the other toddlers we know, all of whom are sleeping their
toddlerhoods away?

So... those of you with 1 year olds... how many naps a day do they
take? When-ish? When do they go to bed? When do they wake up? How's
this working out for you?

DD, 15 months, sleeps from 730PM til 630AM and takes one nap 1 1/2 - 2hrs.
long usually at around 11AM - 1130AM.
If she naps earlier, it is harder to keep her up til 730PM but this schedule
is working well.

Shannon

Old January 20th 04, 12:22 PM
Nancy P

"Sara" wrote in message
[also posted on misc.kids]

So... those of you with 1 year olds... how many naps a day do they

take? When-ish? When do they go to bed? When do they wake up? How's
this working out for you?

When DD was around 1, she would sleep at night from 7:30 pm until 6 am and
would wake up from 1 to 3 times but go back to sleep easily. She took one
nap from about 1:30 to 3:30. It was wonderful. We've moved on to a not so
good sleeping phase now.
Nancy