Sling recommendations please

Old February 3rd 05, 04:08 AM
Elle

Default Sling recommendations please

Can those of you who know about these things take a look at this site
http://www.milkface.com/slingsandcarriers.asp and tell me which
sling(s) you think are good? I kinda want to order from them 'cause
they're local.

I am not too dextrous so want something easy to use. We don't have a
stroller so we hope to use it when the baby is very small, although we
did inherit a bjorn so might use that too.

Also if it works for us we'll be using it a lot in the summer, so I
don't want anything that will make me sweat to death.

One time on an airplane I saw a woman with a sling that was made of
what looked like jersey material (like a t-shirt). Just a stretchy
cotton, not bulky at all. Can't remember if there were rings on it or
if she tied it or what. Anyone know what that is? Maybe she made it
herself? It looked really comfy for both mom and babe.
Thanks very much
Elle
2/16/2005

Old February 3rd 05, 04:37 AM
emilymr

I'm interested in this, too... and also the relative merits of a sling vs.
a Bjorn (we tried the Bjorn Active the other day and it seemed really
comfortable, but you can't put the baby on your back with it).

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Old February 3rd 05, 05:07 AM
Cathy Weeks

Elle wrote:
Can those of you who know about these things take a look at this site
http://www.milkface.com/slingsandcarriers.asp and tell me which
sling(s) you think are good? I kinda want to order from them 'cause
they're local.

I had the Bjorn, the Mayawrap sling (sent the mayawrap pouch back), and
much later, I had a Kozy Carrier: http://www.kozycarrier.homestead.com/

Based on my experience, I'd get the Kozy Carrier, and not the others.
It can be worn on the front OR back, AND it has straps that wrap around
the waist in either position, taking some of the weight off the
shoulders. It was far more secure feeling than the maya, and far more
comfortable than the bjorn, AND it's good for bigger kids (on the
back), and small enough that it can be tucked into a diaper bag. If I
had had this when Kivi was small, I would have worn her much more. As
it was, I got it when Kivi was 2.5 years old, and she wasn't that crazy
about it.

On the page you referenced, the Chickadee baby carrier is the most
similar to the Kozy, so that's the one I would recommend. They are
called "Asian-style" carriers in many places.
Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01

Old February 4th 05, 03:21 PM
Elle

Well that answers my question about the difference between the Asian
style or mei tai carriers and the bjorn, thanks. The mei tais are also
*so* cute!

Elle
2/16/2005