Stroller recommendations?

Old January 21st 06, 08:17 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Stroller recommendations?

Hi folks:

My husband and I were out checking out strollers today, trying to figure out
which one is best for us.

I saw that the Graco Quattro Tour Travel System is on sale this week, so we
went to have a look. To our untrained eyes, seems good so far; very sturdy,
folds easily, includes an infant car seat that fits on top of the stroller
for those months before baby can sit up and ride in the regular part of the
stroller. Also has a base for car seat that remains in the car, so you don't
have to wake baby up to take them inside, just unlatch.

Only con we could see is that it's a *bit* heavy. But we are a car-free
family, the stroller and our feet will be our primary mode of
transportation, so we want something very durable to get us around. Car seat
is necessary for when Grandma wants to take our little bundle out for a
ride. For trips when dragging a heavy duty stroller with us isn't practical,
our plan is to have a second, lightweight one that is more easily carried on
to a bus or whatever.

Anybody else out there have this set and have a comment?

Thanks!

KD

Old January 21st 06, 08:59 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Unless you have stairs to get to your front door or live on an upper flat,
it shouldn't be a problem. The weight of the stroller often comes in when
folded, and you have to lug it in and out of the car, or up stairs, or
whatnot. We are a car/mini-van family, and our double stroller lives in the
back of the van. It probably weighs about 22lbs, I think, but I have pretty
good upper body arm strength, so hefting it in and out of the car isn't an
issue. I'm actually about to retire the double stroller and pull the single
back down for everyday use, as Taylor never seems to want to ride in the
stroller any longer.

If your walking/strolling routes include public transit like buses or
metros, and going up and down lots of steps, then you might as well ONLY get
a light weight type of stroller, like the Maclarens which are more
expensive. I don't know, the weight of the stroller has never been an issue
for me, but I don't have to schlep it up or down stairs or anything like
that.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old January 21st 06, 09:01 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

I don't know about this stroller but the best test I've discovered is
to actually put a small child (or equilvelent weight) in the stroller
and wheel it around. One stroller I bought was great in the shop but
once I put the one year old in it it was harder to turn and it hurt my
wrists after a while.

Good luck!

Cam

Old January 21st 06, 09:47 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

KD wrote:

I saw that the Graco Quattro Tour Travel System is on sale this week,

There are two types of Graco infant seats - both are sold under the
"Snugride" name as far as I can tell. One has a strap that is between
the baby's feet that you pull to adjust the straps, and the other, you
have to be behind the baby and ditz with the straps to get them
tightened, and it's a total pain in the ass. You can tell which one I
have, and I wish I had the one with the strap between the feet. A
couple friends of mine have them, and they look SO much easier to
adjust.

Other than that, I have the Graco system and I like it just fine.

Amy

Old January 21st 06, 11:24 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"KD" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the replies folks. We're really not very concerned about the
weight of the thing, I've always been on the strong side. Just wondering if
there are any bad sides to this thing, like the strap issue. I'll be sure to
check on the strap thing and see which it is.

KD

Old January 22nd 06, 12:40 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

KD wrote:
Hi folks:

My husband and I were out checking out strollers today, trying to figure out
which one is best for us.

I saw that the Graco Quattro Tour Travel System is on sale this week, so we
went to have a look. To our untrained eyes, seems good so far; very sturdy,
folds easily, includes an infant car seat that fits on top of the stroller
for those months before baby can sit up and ride in the regular part of the
stroller. Also has a base for car seat that remains in the car, so you don't
have to wake baby up to take them inside, just unlatch.

For our first daughter we had a big old Century travel system. We liked
it fine, until we bought the Graco citi-lite stroller. That was heaven.
It is so much nicer having a lighter weight stroller.

For DD2, we used the Kolcraft universal carseat carrier with our
infant seat and then bought a Graco metro lite stroller. Like the
citi-lite it was very light and realatively compact, but had a
food tray which is nice.

They apparently sell the Metro lite as a travel system with an
infant car seat.

Mary W.

Old January 22nd 06, 05:42 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

I visited www.baby-gaga.com initially to get one of those baby tickers for
my signature, and then found out it had a dual role as a stroller consumer
advisory type site. They have lots of useful information on a bunch of
different types of strollers, and then they leave it for you to decide. I
found it useful as they had an actual grading system for all different
factors, like ease of use, weight, size etc. As a first time mom there's a
lot of subjects on which I don't know where to start, but with the help of
that site, I think I'm actually well-armed to make a good decision on which
stroller/travel system is best for me.

And in advance of any possible flames... I am in NO WAY affiliated with that
site. I honestly just found it very helpful.

Old January 22nd 06, 05:47 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Just noticed there are two Amy's. I'm now Amy W.

Old January 22nd 06, 10:47 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Amy W. wrote:
Just noticed there are two Amy's. I'm now Amy W.

There are a BUNCH of Amys. I'm the other one.

Other Amy