Cloth diaper advise needed

Old April 17th 06, 03:36 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Cloth diaper advise needed

I recently started using cloth diapers on my son who is now 6 months
old. The first time I used them his runny breastmilk poop got all over
his dipaer cover. Any advise on how I can prevent that so I don't need
to change the diaper cover every time he poops (which is almost
everytime he eats and some). I don't want to be a slave to the washing
machine. My diaper sevice said to try the Snappi's to keep the cloth in
place.
I guess Im looking for some folding techniques?
thanks!

Old April 17th 06, 05:32 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"peggy-o" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently started using cloth diapers on my son who is now 6 months
old. The first time I used them his runny breastmilk poop got all over
his dipaer cover. Any advise on how I can prevent that so I don't need
to change the diaper cover every time he poops (which is almost
everytime he eats and some). I don't want to be a slave to the washing
machine. My diaper sevice said to try the Snappi's to keep the cloth in
place.
I guess Im looking for some folding techniques?
thanks!

I find the kite fold the best but double the sides back in slightly so that
there is an "edge" to the nappy to prevent anything escaping! This also
stops it appearing like the nappy goes all the way down the childs leg! And
I would agree Snappis are the way to go you can get them much tighter than a
pin.
Cheri

Old April 17th 06, 03:52 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Lara" wrote in message

snipped for relevance
There are quite a few folding options he
http://www.ozclothnappies.org/links#information

There's a link there for these Snappis... I've never seen them before...
Where can I find these? Anyone know if they're available in Canada? I'm
not too interested in ordering online as of yet, as I'm sure they'd be a lot
cheaper if purchased at a local store...

Old April 17th 06, 10:35 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hi thanks for the reply. I am using the the prefolds and folding them
in thirds right now then putting them inside the diaper cover. The
covers I have been using are Bummies & Prowraps. I also have a wool one
for the night time. I just really want to keep it simple allthough I
realize that using cloth is not as simple as diposables and don't want
to go back to those. My husband is also not to happy about the switch
since he finally got comfortable with dressing and changing Ben. I want
him to be able to use the cloth since its important to me that I use
them. I'm waitng for some Sanppi's to come in the mail but was
wondering if there was a particular fold that was better than another
for runny poops beisdes the fitted diapers because my service does not
deliver those and I'd have to wash them myself. Plus they are more
expensive.

Old April 18th 06, 12:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

peggy-o wrote:
Hi thanks for the reply. I am using the the prefolds and folding them
in thirds right now then putting them inside the diaper cover. The
covers I have been using are Bummies & Prowraps. I also have a wool one
for the night time. I just really want to keep it simple allthough I
realize that using cloth is not as simple as diposables and don't want
to go back to those. My husband is also not to happy about the switch
since he finally got comfortable with dressing and changing Ben. I want
him to be able to use the cloth since its important to me that I use
them. I'm waitng for some Sanppi's to come in the mail but was
wondering if there was a particular fold that was better than another
for runny poops beisdes the fitted diapers because my service does not
deliver those and I'd have to wash them myself. Plus they are more
expensive.

Here's the link to my old diaper service, they have an online video
showing how to fold the diaper for a snappi clip. I've never used
snappi's - I use pins - but use this fold they demonstrate in the "boy"
video.

http://tinytots.com/
Tiny Tots: Cotton Diaper Service & Newborn, Infant and Toddler Products

I also use Bummi's and Prowraps, and have been using this fold since ds1
was newborn, almost 6 years (now on ds2). If you're getting a lot of
"backloads" (what we call the phenomenon of poop squirting up the back
and leaking out over the edge of the cover) you can also fold down the
top of the back edge of the diaper, that can help keep it in.

-Karen-
Old April 18th 06, 07:18 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

peggy-o wrote:

Hi thanks for the reply. I am using the the prefolds and folding them in
thirds right now then putting them inside the diaper cover. The covers I
have been using are Bummies & Prowraps. I also have a wool one for the
night time.[snip] I'm waitng for some Sanppi's to come in the mail but was
wondering if there was a particular fold that was better than another for
runny poops beisdes the fitted diapers because my service does not deliver
those and I'd have to wash them myself. Plus they are more expensive.

(Washing fitteds yourself, the total cost over the next couple of years
will be much, much cheaper than most diaper services would be, plus
you'd have diapers to hand down to the next baby or to friends; that's
your decision of course.)

Have a look at the "jelly roll" prefold fold at the link I sent you -
lots of people find that useful for runny poo. I actually found the
Bikini Twist quite good too, with the twist done more toward the front.
Without a Snappi you're far more likely to have breastfed-poo blowouts
onto the inside of the cover, and just folding in thirds makes them
pretty much guaranteed, in my experience. Of course the other option is
to buy more covers, if you find washing covers easier than using a
Snappi - up to you!

Lara
Old April 18th 06, 07:48 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Lara skrev:
xkatx wrote:

"Lara" wrote:
http://www.ozclothnappies.org/links#information

There's a link there for these Snappis... I've never seen them before...
Where can I find these? Anyone know if they're available in Canada? I'm
not too interested in ordering online as of yet, as I'm sure they'd be a lot
cheaper if purchased at a local store...

They are sold in Canada; check out Valley Cloth Diapers or For Baby With
Love.

Lara

When I used to use cloth, I and everyone I knew knitted woollen covers
themselves. Cheap and efficient. They still contained lanolin (and more
was added) so the acid in the pee with the lanolin formed a mild soap
that prevented them from smelling. A pee diaper cover you could just dry
and reuse.

Doesn't anyone outside Scandinavia do that?

Tine, Denmark
Old April 18th 06, 10:25 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Workingmom" wrote in message

When I used to use cloth, I and everyone I knew knitted woollen covers
themselves. Cheap and efficient. They still contained lanolin (and more
was added) so the acid in the pee with the lanolin formed a mild soap that
prevented them from smelling. A pee diaper cover you could just dry and
reuse.

Doesn't anyone outside Scandinavia do that?

Tine, Denmark

I've made a couple from a pattern I found on the web, but I'm sure there are
better patterns -- do you have one?

Liz

Old April 18th 06, 04:34 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Workingmom wrote:

Lara skrev:

[Snappi fasteners]
They are sold in Canada; check out Valley Cloth Diapers or For Baby With
Love.

When I used to use cloth, I and everyone I knew knitted woollen covers
themselves. Cheap and efficient. They still contained lanolin (and more
was added) so the acid in the pee with the lanolin formed a mild soap
that prevented them from smelling. A pee diaper cover you could just dry
and reuse.

Doesn't anyone outside Scandinavia do that?

I love wool covers (both wraps and knitted soakers). They work great
over a fitted nappy, or over a Snappi-fastened flat or prefold.

Lara
--
www.ozclothnappies.org
Old April 18th 06, 06:14 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Liz skrev:
"Workingmom" wrote in message

When I used to use cloth, I and everyone I knew knitted woollen covers
themselves. Cheap and efficient. They still contained lanolin (and more
was added) so the acid in the pee with the lanolin formed a mild soap that
prevented them from smelling. A pee diaper cover you could just dry and
reuse.

Doesn't anyone outside Scandinavia do that?

Tine, Denmark

I've made a couple from a pattern I found on the web, but I'm sure there are
better patterns -- do you have one?

Liz

The problem is - they're in Danish.

I'll see what I can do.

You'll have to bear with me - knitting abbreviations are not taught in
scool in Denmark.

BRB

Tine, Denmark

Cloth diaper question [email protected] Pregnancy 8 May 20th 05 08:06 PM
Questions on cloth diapers Donna Metler Pregnancy 13 August 4th 04 09:30 PM
cloth diapers? tigger Pregnancy 21 May 21st 04 06:40 AM
cloth diaper fold for girl? Pamela Perkins General 10 September 24th 03 05:25 PM
Dirty Diaper song Hillary Israeli General 4 September 12th 03 07:08 PM