Murder Swedish style & crime higher than you think

Old September 29th 03, 05:53 PM
Doan

Default Greg overdoses on Stupid Pills was....Murder Swedish style &crime higher than you think

On 25 Sep 2003, Kane wrote:

On 25 Sep 2003 03:41:25 -0700, (Greg Hanson)
wrote:

So the no-spank "success stories" from Scandinavia are bogus?
The no-spank WAGs have been bluffing a long time with that?
No wonder Doan was laughing his butt off!

Yeah, I guess the NewZealanders, one of the more actively interested
research countries on such matter is lying, dawgonitanyways.

http://www.epochnz.org.nz/newsletter/6/sweden.shtml

Now there is a reliable source! ;-) Why a second-hand report from an
organization with an agenda to ban spanking WORLDWIDE??? Why not post
the Durrant (1999) directly and see if it can stand to scientific
scrutiny? Do you expect organization like EPOCH New Zealand to give
you an unbiased truth? Why not give them the other side? Try this:
http://www.nkmr.org/english/sweden_d...ess_claims.htm

The recent report of the effects of this ban is based on data from
official Swedish sources on: support for corporal punishment,
reporting of child physical assault, child abuse mortality,
prosecution rates, and interventions by social authorities. Findings
show that:

public support for corporal punishment has declined =96 it is now 11%

identification of children at risk has increased

child abuse mortality is rare

Did you know the author admitted that the analysis did not even reach
statistical significant? Did you read the orginal study yourself?
Child abuse mortality was rare in Sweden even before they passed their
anti-spanking law!

prosecution rates have remained steady =96 there has not been a greater
criminalisation of caregivers

social service interventions have become increasingly supportive and
preventive.

The author concludes that while it is likely that social policies and
demographic changes may have also contributed to the trends, she
reports it is clear that the original goals of the corporal punishment
ban have been met.

And this is propaganda, nothing less! Did she says what Sweden parents
do instead of spanking? How about yelling...oops "verbal conflict
resolution"!!!???

"Swedish parents now discipline their children; and in doing so, they rely
on a variety of alternatives to physical punishment. The method most
commonly used is _verbal_conflict_resolution_, which invites parents as
well as children to express their anger in words. Parents insist that
discussions involve constant eye contact, even if this means taking firm
hold of young children to engage their attention. Parents and
professionals agree that discussions may escalate into yelling, or that
yelling may be a necessary trigger for discussion. Still, many point out
that while yelling may be humiliating, it is better than ignoring the
problem or containing the anger, and it is usually less humiliating than
physical punishment."

It is better to yell at your kid - just call it "verbal conflict
resolution"! ;-)

________________________

Awwww. Greegor losses his turn as towel boy at the local kindergarten

And Kane9 just proved to the newsgroup what his character is! ;-)

Doan

Old October 2nd 03, 02:41 AM
LaVonne Carlson

What is this post about? Are you trying to respond to someone's post?
If so, please do not cut the attributes. The internet isn't a coffee
party. Not everyone has read or remembered every post, every thread, or
every comment you have made.

What no spank "success stories" from Scandinavia are you talking about?
Who are the "no-spank WAGs?" What have whoever these people are been
bluffing about?

LaVonne

Old October 3rd 03, 11:44 AM
Greg Hanson

LaVonne:
Please see the original thread:
Murder Swedish style & crime higher than you think
(You posted there yourself!)

If you look to the top poster in this thread you can
see who named this thread this way.
Unlike bureaucrats like you, most other people detest
needless duplication (quotation) of long threads.

To summarize though:

Fern posted a link to a Danish story about murder rates
in no-spank Sweden. The author even seemed to jibe
at Sweden a bit for the no-spank claim. One official
did state that the stats were wrong, including
suicides as murder.

Kane responded to this in his usual style, but one
precious gem was that he pointed out that Sweden
has no-spank laws, but no enforcement of them.

I jeered at the oft repeated example of how wonderful
no-spanking laws work and what good they have done.
Kane had exposed the big BLUFF about SWEDEN that
anti-spank zealots used for YEARS to enhance their myths.

More information was eventually added somewhere that
people in Sweden do a lot of YELLING at their kids.
Verbal problem resolution or some other label.

That is a very brief synopsis.

I'd like to add another thought that did not
come up regarding the original Danish story.
Do you think it was really an accident that
SUICIDE numbers got mixed in there?
Old October 6th 03, 01:50 AM
LaVonne Carlson

Greg,

What you need to do is retain the portion of the post to which you are
responding. It is your responsibility for clarifying posts, not the
readers. Original threads expire and/or are not on everyone's news
server.

But you called me a bureaucrat. Thank you, but what a hoot. On this
ng, I've been accused of working for CPS, of being a minister, of being
a child-abuser, of receiving government money for CPS reports, and some
other things I can't right now remember. But I've never been called a
bureaucrat.

How funny!

LaVonne