CONFUSED - re. intimacy with kids

Old January 21st 08, 08:57 PM posted to alt.parenting.solutions, misc.kids
BD

Default CONFUSED - re. intimacy with kids

Hey, all.

I'm a late 30s guy, who's been seeing a single mom for about 2 months.
Known her for about a year prior.

She has a 9-year old boy.

From the get-go, I've had some concerns about how/whether I'm going to
bond with this kid, as I'm quite sure the mom would like to see
happen. I expressed those concerns, and she made note of them; we
continued to explore the dynamic between the two of us.

The first night I spent at her place *while* the child was there was
about 2 months into the dynamic.

I hadn't been told so, but it seems they have a ritual of cuddling a
bit on weekend mornings.

So here I am, half-starkers in her bed, and the fella walks in for his
cuddle. I totally did not see this coming. She hauls him into bed with
the two of us, so we're all three in there, all cozy as a bunch of
bugs in a rug. She puts her arm around her kid, and then flops her
other hand over on me, so we're all 'connected'.

That was 2 weeks ago, and I'm only just now beginning to realize how
much this is upsetting me. I'd ben EXTREMELY sensitive concerning my
behavior around this kid, just because - hey - nothing's certain, and
although it's certainly easy for a kid to get attached to someone, I
do want to minimize the potential impact on him if this all doesn't
work out between his mom and myself.

And there we are, all in bed together one cozy weekend morning.
Nothing I could do, except leave. I kind of froze, but I did roll over
and face the other way until they got up.

My reactions since then have been pretty all over the map. But I'm
getting more and more upset as time goes on.

Am I over-reacting?
Old January 21st 08, 10:57 PM posted to alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids
R. Steve Walz

BD wrote:

Hey, all.

I'm a late 30s guy, who's been seeing a single mom for about 2 months.
Known her for about a year prior.

She has a 9-year old boy.

From the get-go, I've had some concerns about how/whether I'm going to
[...]

---------------------------
You may have a problem with intimacy with, and commitment to, someone
who has a child and wants you to become instant magical new Daddy, and
I think your reaction is sane. It sounds a bit like rushing it, not
so much you being there, as her rushing it as if trying to steam-roller
you into their lives permanently. Some women get quite desperate for
an end to their worries, and they see a man as that. Many are really
quite frightened to be on their own and may never have been so before,
or if they are out there with a child, they may feel that THEY never
had a chance to really grow up. Most women in this society are
incredibly insecure and immature. You might be as well, consider whether
you're ready for that or whether that is what you want. If you only
wanted a ****-buddy you may not be ready for the marriage/children
thing, especially for a child who isn't yours. No, you're not selfish,
very few people have their desires well-put-together enough to adopt,
and they only do it after years of advanced warning and failure to
conceive. Tell "Mom" that you are tired of her using the child to set
you up for pressure, and that knowing whether you two are anything like
right for each other will take much more time.
Steve
Old January 22nd 08, 05:58 AM posted to alt.parenting.solutions, misc.kids
Chris

On Jan 21, 3:57�pm, BD wrote:
Hey, all.

I'm a late 30s guy, who's been seeing a single mom for about 2 months.
Known her for about a year prior.

She has a 9-year old boy.

From the get-go, I've had some concerns about how/whether I'm going to
[...]

Well, you might want to consider that you may not be the first. If she
doesn't have the common sense to keep some space between the two of
you in reference to you sleeping over and trying to force a
relationship, then you by all means should, especially if you don't
know where the relationship will lead, and 2 months in sounds waaaay
to quick, IMO. My husband grew up with a mother who married almost
every man she dated or let move in, and it affected him greatly. She
STILL tries to push her boyfriends on him or put them up in our
business. That being said, my stepdad came into my life when I was
around 6-7 and he and my mom married quickly. We adored him from the
getgo, not having known our deadbeat biological father, but she most
certainly never let him stay the night. I remember him visiting and
being a really pleasant guy. It wasn't long before us 3 girls wanted
to be able to call him Daddy, but that was probably from not having
one prior either. He was deeply in love with my mother and courted her
relentlessly. She was hesitant to remarry. 30-some years later, he is
still my dad. Just my opinion.

Confused kittytlw Pregnancy 9 November 12th 06 07:15 PM
confused colonel-burton General 10 February 16th 05 02:13 PM
Confused!! Kari Pregnancy 21 August 23rd 03 08:02 PM
confused turtledove Single Parents 3 July 16th 03 12:15 AM
confused one M&M Pregnancy 14 July 9th 03 10:31 PM