post partum exercises?

Old December 18th 05, 02:22 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default post partum exercises?

I need a reccommendation on some good low impact exercises I can do for my
abs, back, etc. Just for feeling more flexible and getting some ab strength
back. I can't do formal exercise obviously for several weeks, and even
walking right now is out because of some healing problems with my bottom...

Any suggestions?

Betsy

Old December 18th 05, 03:20 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Wait a few more weeks and let your body heal. Then you can work on walking,
which is a good excersize for your abs, and when you are feeling stronger,
sit ups and the like.

But let your body heal.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

news

Old December 18th 05, 03:33 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

In article ,
"oregonchick" wrote:

I need a reccommendation on some good low impact exercises I can do for my
abs, back, etc. Just for feeling more flexible and getting some ab strength
back. I can't do formal exercise obviously for several weeks, and even
walking right now is out because of some healing problems with my bottom...

Any suggestions?

I would guess that rest is what your body needs right now! But if you're
really antsy -- how about pelvic rocks, or whatever they're called? You
know, on hands and knees, rounding and then arching your back. That
could help your back, if its stiff.
--
Sara
accompanied by TK, number two, due in April of 2006
Old December 18th 05, 04:24 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"Anonymama" wrote in message
In article ,
"oregonchick" wrote:

I need a reccommendation on some good low impact exercises I can do for
my
abs, back, etc. Just for feeling more flexible and getting some ab
strength
back. I can't do formal exercise obviously for several weeks, and even
walking right now is out because of some healing problems with my
bottom...

Any suggestions?

I would guess that rest is what your body needs right now! But if you're
really antsy -- how about pelvic rocks, or whatever they're called? You
know, on hands and knees, rounding and then arching your back. That
could help your back, if its stiff.
--
Sara
accompanied by TK, number two, due in April of 2006

It's not so much that I'm really antsy, I just want to do something gentle
for my body that will help with the low back and hip pain, and also I'm
having trouble going pee. I have been doing kegels, but wonder if there's
something else I can add. I was thinking about stretching exercises, just
not sure which ones will really help. I'll try the rocking exercise you
described.

Betsy

Old December 18th 05, 12:26 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

oregonchick writes:

I need a reccommendation on some good low impact exercises I can do for
my abs, back, etc. Just for feeling more flexible and getting some ab
strength back. I can't do formal exercise obviously for several weeks,
and even walking right now is out because of some healing problems with
my bottom...

Any suggestions?

I found the most gentle thing to do, and good for my back pain, is what I
think is called pelvic tilts. Lie on your back with your knees up. Breathe
in. Breathe out, and as you do so, pull your abs in, thinking about pushing
the small of your back down onto the floor, lengthening your back slightly
as you do so (i.e. your tummy button moves slightly away from your head, as
well as towards the floor). Hold just briefly, until you feel like
breathing in again, then release. Repeat as long as feels right, maybe 20
reps.

I assume you're doing Kegels religiously, too? Unless they're really too
painful, they're a good idea, especially if you have damage, as they
increase blood flow to the injured area.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Old December 18th 05, 01:46 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"oregonchick" wrote in message
It's not so much that I'm really antsy, I just want to do something gentle
for my body that will help with the low back and hip pain, and also I'm
having trouble going pee.

Are you drinking enough water? Rest for now Betsy, but when you are able,
walking is good.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 18th 05, 03:37 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"oregonchick" wrote in message
It's not so much that I'm really antsy, I just want to do something
gentle
for my body that will help with the low back and hip pain, and also I'm
having trouble going pee.

Sue replied:
Are you drinking enough water? Rest for now Betsy, but when you are able,
walking is good.

Definitely up the water intake, I drank so much after my most recent
delivery, it made everything so much easier, I was really surprised.

You say you are doing kegels, that is good, everyone seems to recommend you
start them ASAP. Do you know how to do a TA muscle contraction? You either
do or you don't, it's something that really needs to be taught in a
practical manner, if you can then doing a few of those can be helpful, but
not too many!

Anne

Old December 18th 05, 03:39 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Sidheag wrote:
I found the most gentle thing to do, and good for my back pain, is what I
think is called pelvic tilts. Lie on your back with your knees up. Breathe
in. Breathe out, and as you do so, pull your abs in, thinking about
pushing
the small of your back down onto the floor, lengthening your back slightly
as you do so (i.e. your tummy button moves slightly away from your head,
as
well as towards the floor). Hold just briefly, until you feel like
breathing in again, then release. Repeat as long as feels right, maybe 20
reps.

I _think_ Sidheag is talking about the TA muscle here (transversus
abdominis, or deep tummy muscle), the problem with this exercise is, if you
get the wrong muscle, which is easy to do, you can then build it up with out
building up the TA, which then exacerbates the problem of the weaker TA
muscle. I'd only want to do this exercise having been taught it my a physio,
or pilates instructor.

Anne

Old December 19th 05, 04:53 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"oregonchick" wrote in message
news
I need a reccommendation on some good low impact exercises I can do for my
abs, back, etc. Just for feeling more flexible and getting some ab
strength back. I can't do formal exercise obviously for several weeks, and
even walking right now is out because of some healing problems with my
bottom...

Any suggestions?

Betsy

Sleep is a form of exercise, isn't it? That's what I needed post-partum!

Old December 20th 05, 04:27 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"oregonchick" wrote in message
news
I need a reccommendation on some good low impact exercises I can do for my
abs, back, etc. Just for feeling more flexible and getting some ab
strength back. I can't do formal exercise obviously for several weeks, and
even walking right now is out because of some healing problems with my
bottom...

Any suggestions?

Hugs Betsy,
Ofcourse you are arleady familiar with pelvicrocking. So I won't describe it
here.

Abdominal tightening will help you regain your figure and prevent backache.
Breathe in deeply. Exhale slowly pulling your abdominal muscles as tight as
you can. Hold for a few seconds. Relax and repeat.

Chin to Chest abdmonal exercise is another early postpartum exercise.

Lie flat on your back with your knees bent so feet are flat on the bed or
floor and arms to your side.
Slowly bring chin to chest as far forward toward the breasts as possible.
Hold for a few seconds.
Slowly lower your head to the starting position.

There are a number of exercises you can for your back. But I will leave you
with just these two for now. If you want others, keep me posted.

Carl