Another C-section question...

Old January 5th 09, 05:54 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka

Default Another C-section question...

Kat wrote:

Those that I know that have had a tubal went in for the surgery. They were
put out completely, the procedure was done and then they were sent home
shortly after. It didn't take too long from when they were in until they
were sent on their way, and I was told that it was fairly straight forward.
I guess you're probably right... The c-section, I know, I had a fairly long
recovery time with it. It was a month before I even went back to classes
after, and for a while, I was not in good shape at all. Maybe it would be
best to wait until after to get it done. There really won't be any need for
contraception after the birth. I'm done with the drama and issues that N
brings with him and I'm not having him around any time soon, and there
DEFINITELY won't be any need for birth control right after unless I turn
asexual and manage to reproduce with myself

And if general anesthesia is not your friend,
you might look into some of the alternatives that don't
require it. I haven't looked into it in ages, but aren't
some of the new procedures able to be done under a local?

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old January 5th 09, 05:58 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka

Kat wrote:

I called the line about community services we have here... They're like a
'distress line' and have info on everything from counsellors to places to
get food and necessities and everything in between. I asked if there was
anything that I could possibly get help from and there was this place called
something like "Association for Safe Alternatives in Childbirth" and I
called and left a message a few days ago. The machine said they check
messages on a weekly basis only, so I will wait until the end of this week
coming up and hope they can offer some help for what I need, or be able to
point me in the right direction.
This 'distress line' place I called for the city offers info on very
low-cost or free services, they don't really give info on things that
normally cost or are for-profit, so maybe this Association place might be a
good start.

Also, just start calling doulas out of the phone
book and ask if they know anyone in training who needs to
attend births and would be willing to help you out for
free or reduced cost. It's common for doulas in training
to charge significantly less, especially early in their
training.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old January 5th 09, 06:21 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

And if general anesthesia is not your friend,
you might look into some of the alternatives that don't
require it. I haven't looked into it in ages, but aren't
some of the new procedures able to be done under a local?

As I understand it, in theory anything below a certain level can be done
with regional (spinal or epidural) anesthesia. I think one the things
working against it happening much is that you actually need more time in
recovery, or at least in the hospital than for a general, day surgery
centers get you out of the door in a couple of hours from a general, but
a spinal or epidural doesn't reliably wear of so fast, anything but
first thing in the morning and it could well turn into an overnight
stay. I've stumbled across the occasional article about some surgeon
raving about regional anesthesia and it offering benefits that balance
the disadvantages of the delay in early recovery, the only one I
remember coming across recently was actually upper limb, so different
type of regional.

However what is done routinely can be a whole different ball game to
what is possible and what you might talk the doctor into and the kind of
situations where it might be a very good plan aren't desparately
uncommon, though I suppose it could mean a location change from an
outpatient centre to a hospital (though I've been offered it at an
outpatient surgery centre). My guess is that the doctor might have other
suggestions though.

Kat, I think I missed replying to this bit in the other thread, but I
know in the UK that you wouldn't have to fill a prescription for a IUD
or implant, it was something they had at the location it was done at,
could be completely different in Canada, obviously.

Cheers
Anne
Old January 5th 09, 06:44 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kat

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
I mean elective as in, "I don't want to do it the old fashioned way, so
please schedule me for a section". Not some kind of medical reason.
There are people, I know, that will simply decide they don't want to go
through the whole labor and delivery and just want to go for a c-section
because the option is there and available. Not the ones that HAVE to or
should have a c-section for valid reasons - like the medical conditions
or concerns.

Elective is doctor speak for their list of planned surgeries for the day,
you could have an "elective" section that was actually more of an
emergency than an "emergency" one, if, say there was a deteriorating
situation, but they had you admitted for observation whilst adding you to
the list for the next day, the women with a slow labour overnight might
get in sooner and be considered an emergency!

I'm sure I would as well, and 3 vbacs on my side is probably more of a
bonus for me. For some reason, it seems my OB (that I've had for years
now - she wasn't my OB for the first, but she did the delivery, which was
the emergency c-section, and then she was my OB from that section on...
She also delivered 3/4 for me, but was on vacation, I believe, when DD1
was born) will not let me go very far over due. I don't know why. With
#1, he was born via c-section when I went into labor on my own just 2
days after my EDD. With #2, she had me scheduled for induction when I
was 7 days over due but I wasn't induced due to no beds being available,
but actually went in that very night on my own in labor. And I was
scheduled for induction as this will be 8 years ago at the end of this
month and I don't think there was as much info about induction after
c-section as there is now. She had me scheduled for surgery with #3 for
a Monday, which was 8 days after my EDD, and my due date was on a Sunday.
With #4, I think I was due on the 30th of the month, she said she'd see
me no later than Halloween Day, a day after my EDD, and I would have a
Halloween baby at the very latest. Yet she was born a week early.

You have to wonder if she was going on holiday in November! Fingers
crossed you'll have a baby sometime in week 39, but 1 day over is a bit of
a dumb reason for a c-section, maybe she's not really understanding you
and is suggesting it more out of sympathy about not being pregnant for a
week longer or something. Personally in this kind of situation I'd make it
clear that I don't consider 1 day over to be overdue at all, WHO states
normal pregnancy is upto 42 weeks. If that wasn't enough I'd add that I'd
want at least two tests to verify that delivery really was necessary (it's
very easy to convince someone that a single NST is enough of an indicator
to deliver, if that's what the doctor wants to acheive!) and add something
about "before you CONSENT" to it, basically trying to politely hammer home
that she doesn't get to decide, she gives you the facts and you make the
decision!

No! Not at 39 weeks LOL
At exactly 39 weeks will be DS' 8th birthday lol I don't want to wreck his
birthday and have him share a birthday haha
I get horrible towards the end. No, that's a lie. I start feeling horrible
fairly early on, and towards the end, it seems, it's hell for me. I've
already been feeling horrible for so long... The sleeping issue, the bladder
control issue, my back, ribs, heartburn, legs, you name it. I'm the type
that does NOT enjoy being pregnant. Well, pregnant with girls, anyways.
Pregnant with boys, though, was fantastic from start to finish, with girls,
it's completely opposite.
I will probably have an appointment fairly soon. I missed my last
appointment - it was on Dec 15 with the OB that was covering for her, and at
that point, I was going every 2 weeks. I guess it's been almost 3 weeks
since I should have had my last app't, so it's been almost 5 weeks since I
was in last. I think there's some things I will keep in mind to ask about
now!

Good Luck

Anne