Daughter's friend complaining

Old January 28th 04, 04:27 AM
Sue Larson

Default Daughter's friend complaining

My five year old has a good friend (Alice), whose mother I am good friends
with. The last few times Alice has been here (over the last 8 months or so),
she has complained about a friend of hers whom she has been playing with.
She says she doesn't want to be friends with him anymore, that he is mean
and she doesn't want to invite him to her birthday party, and doesn't care
what anyone says about it, etc. Alice's mother is friends with this boy's
mother and I suspect that she may be pushing her daughter to play with her
friend's son whenever they get together to socialize. The very strange thing
is that my daughter does not play with this particular boy (only because she
doesn't really know him) and perhaps it is safe for Alice to "vent" to my
daughter? Alice has talked to my daughter about it and has talked about it
in front of me (but why so much?) I think I am just wondering if you think I
should lightly broach the subject with my friend and ask her what is up with
it...that Alice consistently talks about not wanting to play with this kid,
etc., and seems annoyed/angry/resolved by the whole thing.Obviously, if it
weren't a big deal, Alice would never be talking about it, but the thing
is, she continually talks about it (probably because she continually plays
with this friend?) It seems like she is not being heard. I think this has
gone over the mother's head or something. Should I just stay out of it or
would you say something (Alice's mother doesn't even know the extent that
Alice talks about this when she is at my house)?

Susan