Cloth diapers, at it again!!!

Old May 2nd 06, 04:08 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Cloth diapers, at it again!!!

Don't know. Don't live in the US. I'm sure they've done studies, too.

What, just because the mighty US didn't say it, it isn't true????

"peggy-o" wrote in message
oups.com...
What about the US????

Old May 2nd 06, 01:53 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I highly recommend "tie-nappies" like this:
http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/beardiaper.htm
If you are committed to "low technology" cloth diapering (as opposed to
pocket diapers, which would be my top suggestion for ease of use, ease of
cleaning, and longevity) then a tie nappy is your friend.
They are inexpensive and will integrate with the prefolds you already have.
Once you learn how to put them on, no poop in the world will escape the
mighty tie nappy. I love them, love them, love them.
The chemicals in disposable diapers are horrendous for baby as well as the
planet. It might be possible for a study to equate the water/detergent used
by diaper service to the impact of disposables in the landfill, but you'll
never convince me that 24 unbleached hemp prefolds, a few tie nappies, and a
few covers washed in my washing machine with a tablespoon of detergent has
the same environmental impact as a box of chemical goo and plastic as well
as the dioxins etc produced in their manufacture.
I hope this doesn't come off as a rant - give the tie nappy a try. Cloth
diapering is truly wonderful once you find a system that works. Sounds like
prefolds aren't your thing . . even a set of all-in-ones ends up being less
expensive than disposies over 3 years.
Yahoo has some great cloth diapering groups ..
best of luck,
Hannah

"peggy-o" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you!!!!!! Seems like our babies have the same nuclear poop. I
know they told me the same thing about only needing a few covers. I
would need like 20 and they are not cheap!
I will have to find out what my city does with the disposables. I live
in the greater NY area and don't know about how they are disposed. I
just assumed that they went into a land fill. Thanks again for your
honesty, I feel sooooooooooooo much better.

Old May 2nd 06, 02:15 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

of course NOT... no need to get nasty about it. I was just asking. As a
matter of fact other countries have a far better recyclying program and
don't waste nearly as much as we do. Don't get such a complx.

Old May 2nd 06, 05:18 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In article ,
"Engram" wrote:

There is actually no environmental advantage to using cloth nappies over
disposables. Studies in both the UK and Australia have shown this.
http://www.kca.com.au/environment/disposableorcloth.htm

I get a "the page cannot be found" message when I try this link.
Old May 2nd 06, 05:36 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Engram wrote:

New to this group and just couldn't resist replying to this...

There is actually no environmental advantage to using cloth nappies over
disposables. Studies in both the UK and Australia have shown this.
http://www.kca.com.au/environment/disposableorcloth.htm

The methodology and the conclusions drawn from this study have been
comprehensively debunked (and are also now well and truly out of date,
as they're based on older washing machines, obsolete laundering
techniques, and flat cotton terry nappies only).

http://www.wen.org.uk/general_pages/...LCA19.5.05.htm

http://realdiaperassociation.org/pre...iaperstudy.php

http://www.guardian.co.uk/waste/stor...488290,00.html

http://www.letsrecycle.com/info/wast...jsp?story=4490

http://www.ozclothnappies.org/info#environment

Your message also seems to imply that environmental reasons are the only
possibly reasons why a parent might choose cloth. Many parents who
choose cloth do so not purely for environmental reasons, but also for
reasons relating to cost, health, politics, aesthetics, convenience,
and/or functionality.

Lara

Old May 2nd 06, 06:42 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Very well said! Quite frankly I think its more sanitary using cloth
since you tend to change them more frequently. Some mom's may let there
kids sit a soiled diaper for hours if the child does not complain.

Old May 2nd 06, 06:51 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Engram wrote:
New to this group and just couldn't resist replying to this...

There is actually no environmental advantage to using cloth nappies over
disposables. Studies in both the UK and Australia have shown this.
http://www.kca.com.au/environment/disposableorcloth.htm

The UK life cycle study, released May 2005, showed that:

1. using cloth nappies uses more water, energy and detergents
2. disposable nappies contribute more solid waste to landfill.

And the energy involved in *making* the disposable diapers is
substantial. Those studies love to forget that point. They also
generally assume people use a diaper service, and factor in the energy
involved in that, as well as a clothes dryer.

Old May 2nd 06, 06:54 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"peggy-o" wrote in message
oups.com...
Very well said! Quite frankly I think its more sanitary using cloth
since you tend to change them more frequently. Some mom's may let there
kids sit a soiled diaper for hours if the child does not complain.

Which is probably just as true for some mothers that use cloth!

I'm planning to use cloth this time around. I started with Brock yesterday
and I'm waiting for Ben to get a little bigger. I'm still learning how to
fold the things so they don't swallow the whole darn baby up! They seem so
huge and bulky. I'm still practicing with different kinds of folds. He had
blow outs with the disposables but not this morning with the cloth!! No
leaks yet either! While I did have to wash a diaper out today yesterday I
had to wash a onsie, sleeper, my pants, and give the baby a bath, lol.

I have washable wipes as well. The recipe I have calls for lavender oil.
Does that do anything besides make it smell nice? It is spendy stuff around
here! Maybe I'll look on-line.

I do have some pins. I can't seem to stick them through the cloth? They
are Gerber. Are they sucky dull pins, do I need to do something to them, or
am I just a pin nit wit ;-) I need some snappies. I'm not using anything
right now, lol.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old May 2nd 06, 07:32 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Nikki" wrote

I have washable wipes as well. The recipe I have calls for lavender oil.
Does that do anything besides make it smell nice? It is spendy stuff

around
here! Maybe I'll look on-line.

Lavendar is a natural antiseptic and aids in healing. You might also like
to try tea-tree oil in your mix, which is a natural anti-fungal.

Jean

--
DD June '02
DS May '05

Old May 2nd 06, 07:35 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"cjra" wrote

There is actually no environmental advantage to using cloth nappies over
disposables. Studies in both the UK and Australia have shown this.
http://www.kca.com.au/environment/disposableorcloth.htm

Kimberly Clark are a major manufacturer of disposable nappies, hardly a site
to find unbiased advice.

The UK life cycle study, released May 2005, showed that:

1. using cloth nappies uses more water, energy and detergents
2. disposable nappies contribute more solid waste to landfill.

And the energy involved in *making* the disposable diapers is
substantial. Those studies love to forget that point. They also
generally assume people use a diaper service, and factor in the energy
involved in that, as well as a clothes dryer.

There was one study in the UK recently (could have the one linked to above)
that assumed that the nappies were *ironed* each time! I couldn't iron
mine, it would ruin the elastic and PUL ;-).

Jean

--
DD June '02
DS May '05

Questions on cloth diapers Donna Metler Pregnancy 13 August 4th 04 09:30 PM
WTB: Paying Top Dollar for Kushies Diapers / Kooshies Cuddlers or other cloth diapers Crystal Hall General 2 August 1st 04 12:02 AM
How are disposable diapers supposed to fit (confused cloth diapering Mom)? [email protected] General 7 May 4th 04 05:48 AM
cloth diapers Small Haul Pregnancy 8 March 8th 04 10:47 PM
washing cloth diapers Jen Pregnancy 5 July 24th 03 05:56 PM