Review: The Cuckoo (*** 1/2)

Old August 17th 03, 07:29 PM
Steve Rhodes

Default Review: The Cuckoo (*** 1/2)

THE CUCKOO
A film review by Steve Rhodes

Copyright 2003 Steve Rhodes

RATING (0 TO ****): *** 1/2

THE CUCKOO (KUKUSHKA), written and directed by Aleksandr Rogozhkin, is an
incredibly brilliant piece of minimalist drama set in the far northern part
of Finland towards the end of the Second World War. The story, about the
trials and tribulations -- as well as the humor -- of a complete inability
to communicate, is quite unique, but it does have shades of NO MAN'S LAND
and of THE FAST RUNNER, although it is better than both of those
award-winning films.

As the movie opens, Veikko (Ville Haapasalo) is being chained to an iron
spike that goes deep into a rock. A Finish soldier, Veikko is forced to
wear a German uniform and to work as a sniper picking off the oncoming
Russian soldiers. As soon as his German handlers leave, Veikko starts
working furiously and ingeniously, trying to break the chain or get the
spike out of the rock. This section of the film, which plays like a silent
movie, would make a great ten or fifteen minute short film. You can
viscerally feel Veikko's confinement, and you root for his every attempt to
free himself.

Ivan (Viktor Bychkov) is a Russian soldier who is under arrest by his unit's
political officer. It seems that Ivan's innocent poems about nature have
been deemed anti-Communist. On the way to his imprisonment, the jeep in
which he is riding comes under attack, which leaves the others in the
vehicle literally blown to bits and him nearly dead. Anni (Anni-Christina
Juuso), a tidy and sweet Lapp woman living nearby, comes upon the carnage.
Collecting all of the body parts in order to give them a proper burial, she
realizes that Ivan isn't dead. She takes him back to her hut in order to
nurse him back to health. It isn't chicken soup that she feeds him but warm
milk mixed with fresh blood drawn from one of her few livestock.

After Veikko finally get loose, he ends up at Anni's place. As soon as Ivan
sees Veikko, still in a German uniform, the tensions begin to mount. And
since none of three can speak a word of the other's language, there is no
way to clear up misunderstandings. Anni uses this to her advantage,
sometimes insulting the men, while smiling with her big childlike eyes, and
sometimes engaging in a bit of erotic small talk. Anni's husband has been
gone for four years, and she badly yearns for a roll in the hay.

As time goes on, the questions begin to mount. Will Anni choose one or both
of the men to have sex with? Will they end up killing one another over her
or over Ivan's mistaken belief that Veikko is his enemy? And will someone
from the outside world come in to break up their party? While I won't
reveal the answers to any of this, I will say that the ending is a real
charmer, which had me literally applauding.

THE CUCKOO runs a mesmerizing 1:39. The film is in Finnish, Russian and
Sami with English subtitles. The film is rated PG-13 for "sexual content
and violence" and would be acceptable for any kid old enough to be able to
follow the subtitles.

The film is playing in nationwide release now in the United States. In the
Silicon Valley, it is showing at the Camera Cinemas.

Web: http://www.InternetReviews.com

Email:

Want free reviews and weekly movie and video recommendations via Email?

Just send me a letter with the word "subscribe" in the subject line.

Old August 30th 03, 09:51 PM
marika

"Steve Rhodes" wrote in message link.net...
THE CUCKOO
A film review by Steve Rhodes

Copyright 2003 Steve Rhodes

RATING (0 TO ****): *** 1/2

THE CUCKOO (KUKUSHKA), written and directed by Aleksandr Rogozhkin, is an
incredibly brilliant piece of minimalist drama set in the far northern part
of Finland towards the end of the Second World War. The story, about the
trials and tribulations -- as well as the humor -- of a complete inability
to communicate, is quite unique, but it does have shades of NO MAN'S LAND
and of THE FAST RUNNER, although it is better than both of those
award-winning films.

Maybe when I re-watch that I'll get
more. I'll definitely rewatch it all the way through when I'm awake
enough
to last it, just 'cause you give such a high recommend, it must be
more than
I remember.

haha,what did you thnk of matarix 2 I did notice the racial balance in
zion, but figured I'd be called a
racist if I mentioned that I even noticed it. or maybe that they
somehow survived
better for a reason to be revealed in 3? or maybe just to see if any
white
folks notice & get uncomfortable about it.

I didn't pay attention for much double meanings, maybe because I
wasn't
following along from the first flick

mk5000

"Joe Johnson looked great in New Orleans, he was a Pro-Bowler... means
squat to me because right now he looks no different than any other
practice squad defensive lineman. As for Anderson, he is playing now
as he did at the end of last season, not the beginning"--mike brown