storing breast milk

Old October 11th 05, 06:27 PM
Patagonia

Default storing breast milk

"oregonchick" wrote in message
The other freezer bags that seem to have high ratings are
the Gerber and Lansinoh bags, particularly because of the ziploc closure.
Anyone care to share personal experience?

I have only ever used the Gerber bags - they work well for me! freeze them
flat and put them into gallon-sized freezer bags and they take up less room
and thaw out more quickly.

Nursing pads, but which ones?

I like the Gerber contoured pads. *Don't* get the ones that are just white
circles with little lines indented into them - it's like putting a circle of
cardboard on your boob. The contoured ones come in light, medium and heavy
flow variety - last time out I really needed the heavy flow ones, this time
I'm getting away with just the light flows.

How many
nursing bras do I need?

I would get as many nursing bras as you generally use in a regular bra. If
you find them useful (and I really need them, being a 38DDD - bleah), you
will wear them daily for as long as you nurse.

Do I have to sleep in a bra?

Totally up to you. With ds, I was really uncomfortable at first w/o a bra
at night, bc my boobs were so engorged and *heavy* not to mention the
leaking aspect of things. This time, I sometimes sleep with a bra and
sometimes go topless, but have a towel wrapped around my top to absorb the
leaks when dd goes longer than usual between feeds.

Old October 11th 05, 07:28 PM
oregonchick

"Patagonia" wrote in message

[...]

To relieve engorgement, would pumping be beneficial, or would the milk just
keep coming in at that initial rate? I remember how painful engorgement was
with my first child, and she didn't eat anywhere close to the amount my
breasts were producing.

Old October 11th 05, 07:58 PM
Patagonia

"oregonchick" wrote in message
. ..

"Patagonia" wrote in message

[...]

You can pump off a *little* to relieve engorgement, but the more you pump,
the more your body thinks it needs to produce, thus creating more of a
problem with engorgement, not less. Just do enough to ease things up a bit,
and you'll be fine.