California Bans Vaccines with Hazardous Mercury-Based Preservative Thimersoral for Young Children & Pregnant Women

Old July 12th 06, 12:23 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.headlines

Default California Bans Vaccines with Hazardous Mercury-Based Preservative Thimersoral for Young Children & Pregnant Women

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/...e/14963917.htm
SACRAMENTO - Vaccines containing a mercury-based preservative are now
largely off-limits to children younger than 3 and pregnant women in
California.

The only exception to the new state law, which took effect Saturday,
is the vaccine against Japanese encephalitis virus, a deadly
mosquito-borne illness endemic to certain parts of Asia.

The new law, sponsored by Fran Pavley, D-Agoura Hills, was aimed at
reducing the risk of neurodevelopmental problems such as autism, which
many parents believe can be traced to exposure to thimerosal, a
substance used as a preservative in many vaccines.

Several large federal studies have shown no link between childhood
vaccines and autism, but additional research is ongoing.

The U.S. Public Health Service and the American Academy of Pediatrics
in 1999 began to advocate the elimination of thimerosal from vaccines
because some infants who received them were exposed to mercury at
levels that exceeded Environmental Protection Agency guidelines.

Except for trace amounts allowable under the new law, thimerosal has
been removed childhood vaccines.

The flu vaccine had been an exception. But concerns about its safety
re-emerged in 2004, after the federal government recommended babies
between 6 months and 2 years be added to the list of those who should
get annual flu shots.

Aventis Pasteur, the company that manufactures the lion's share of flu
vaccine, has increased the supplies of its thimerosal-free version in
response to demand.

"Based on what we know, we anticipate there will be an adequate supply
of thimerosal-free flu vaccine for pregnant women and children under
three," said Department of Health Services spokesman Ken August.

The state has ordered 684,480 doses of flu vaccine to be distributed
to counties for the upcoming season. The total includes 50,000 doses
of thimerosal-free vaccine for children ages 1-3 and 15,000 doses for
pregnant women. In addition, the state ordered 10,000 doses of
FluMist, also thimerosal-free, for use in healthy people ages 5-49.

Aventis had opposed the Pavley bill, citing in a statement concerns
that the ban could "undermine public confidence in immunization and
ultimately deprive children of access to needed influenza vaccine."

American Academy of Pediatrics, the legislation ultimately was amended
to give the industry more time to stock up on thimerosal-free flu
vaccine.

The new law also allows for exceptions when no other alternatives are
available or during public health emergencies.

August said Health and Human Services Secretary Kim Belshe issued an
exception for the Japanese encephalitis virus vaccine.

"Given the absence of a mercury-free vaccine against Japanese
encephalitis virus, and because the risk of fatal disease or brain
injury far exceed any risk of mercury in the vaccine, the secretary is
exercising her authority and temporarily exempting the vaccine from
the provision of the law for a 12-month period."

About 50,000 cases of the disease are reported annually in Asia. There
is no cure, and up to 25 percent of those infected die from the
disease.

August said that California distributes about 32,000 doses of the
three-dose vaccine in annually. Last year, 19,000 went to the military
and the rest to people traveling to certain parts of Asia. It is
unknown how many of those doses went to very young children or
pregnant women.